Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 01:08 PM   #1  

Unhappy How Can I Deal With Aches and Pains Caused by Obesity?

Hi! I weigh 247 lbs, and have a very big problem - I gained the weight very fast, and now my legs and joints hurt so much from the added strain, I am constantly taking painkillers. I have had tests done to make sure it is nothing more serious, so I know for sure it is the weight causing it. Obviously, the solution would be to lose weight, but I cannot exercise - I can barely get up the stairs in my home - due to the pain. Does anyone know of any stretches or home remedies for this? I really want to get rid of the painkillers, but that is not an option with the pain I have. TIA!
Old 12-04-2002, 01:32 PM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

First of all if you are having legitimate pain there is nothing wrong with taking painkillers. As long as you aren't overdosing you will be okay. Check with your dr if there is another medication you can take, there are specific medications for joint pain you could take instead. I'm afraid I don't have any home remedies or stretches though I have an excellent book of stretches called Stretching by Bob Anderson. Swimming would be an excellent exercise for you as it non weight bearing and warm water would ease your joint pain. Otherwise start very slowly with walking. Even if you just walk to the next house and back and the next day a bit further and so on. I'm sure you feel really overwhelmed by this if you gained a lot of weight in a very short amount of time. Take it slow and easy, you aren't going to lose the weight as quickly as you gained it. Your body is not used to supporting this amount of weight and that's why you are so sore. All the muscles in your body are being worked in new and different ways. It will take some time but believe me things will start to work out. Take care.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:02 PM   #3  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

My water aerobics class is FILLED with fat women (including myself). It's non-impact and non-swimming! You wear a swim belt (usually provided and they are always ample so there's no fear or not being able to fit into one). It's also great for beginners. Many of the women that are in my class are there because of joint problems due to their weight. Being out of shape, they can't jump into a regular exercise program so they start at water aerobics.

Most municipal or community pools have a water aerobics program. I pay $4 a class.

I would also look into Yoga if you want to pay a little more. Basic beginner yoga will seem SO HARD when you start but you'll start to feel the benefits immediatly and it will help stretch the ligaments and muscle that cause a lot of joint pain.

Whatever you pick, make a promise to stick with it for 1 month before you judge it. Sometimes, it takes awhile for the feelings of inadequacy or nervousness to go away before you realize you love it.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:28 PM   #4  

I think the water aerobics is a great idea. If you have any desire to join a gym, see if they have a transport or eliptical machine. They offer great cardio benefits, but with zero impact. I work out on one at least 4 days a week. Also, just stretching at home would help, I would think. It will be a great way to losen & relax your muscles. Hold each stretch for *at least* 10 seconds, & when moving between stretches, try to move "fluidly" (I always pretend I am under water & just gliding from stretch to stretch). It really helps me relax & my muscles just feel so much better after I do it.

Good luck & I really hope you are feeling better soon

Last edited by snowball1; 12-04-2002 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:13 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

from a veteran of the extreme weight loss wars... and enforced physical therapy so that i could walk again. this is what the physical therapists told me: i had to strengthen the muscles so that they could support my weight, but since i was unable to stand or walk, i had to do this in other ways.

first off was the quadriceps, those big muscles in the front part of the thigh that starts above the knee.

sit in a chair. and lift each foot one at a time. kind of like marching in place, only you're sitting. repeat about 25 times per side, and rest. and then do it again.

you can then advance to marching in place a minute or two at a time [remember, i was in a wheelchair and on oxygen at the time, so this might seem too simple. you can certainly march for 5 minutes at a time if you feel up to it]

and then the steps. up one, down one. up one down one. not a whole flight. and then up two and down two. i started out being able to do the up one down one about 6 times before i collapsed.

and then there's the calf stretch. stand on the bottom step, and pull your heel to the floor. hold for 10-15 seconds., if you can't hold it that long without pain, only hold it for 5 seconds. or less. it's not supposed to hurt.

repeat 5 times three times a day.

these might seem ridiculously simple, but it's really ground zero stuff. and just in case you don't think it works, i'm now walking more than 2 miles a day, no oxygen, and i started swimming again this week. oh. and i can climb a flight of stairs without a problem. it's all in the strength of the leg muscles...

and one more thing.. about the painkillers. what are you taking? if it's stuff like vioxx or celebrex or motrin or advil or naprosyn or any other NSAID, don't get off of them!! they will help control the damage to the joint. if it's other stuff, like sedatives, work on the muscles first before you get off of them, especially since they seem to be helping you.

Last edited by jiffypop; 12-04-2002 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:27 AM   #6  

Build your muscles! I also had lots of joint pain from my excess weight. After lifting weights for a while, and losing close to 50 pounds, my pain has greatly subsided. Adding some weight lifting to your regimen should help speed things up.

My opinion on the walking issue is that you may need to wait on it ... walking to me made my pains worse, even short distances. Water aerobics or swimming may be better for you.

Yoga ... I still find that difficult! But it is a matter of getting used to it! And starting gently!

Pen
265/217/150ish
Closed Thread