3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Stationary bikes & buttaches. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/213941-stationary-bikes-buttaches.html)

Creeech 10-03-2010 02:00 PM

Stationary bikes & buttaches.

Interesting title, I know! :D

My boyfriend recently purchased an upright stationary bike for my mom as her birthday present. I tried it out two days ago for half an hour, and my butt is STILL killing me! The muscles don't really ache, it's more that I'm irritated and it hurts to sit.

The seat doesn't bother my mom or boyfriend, so it's just me with the issue. Could it be because I don't have a big toosh? Maybe irritation from my undies? I was wearing regular bikini undies with workout shorts. I love the bike, and since it's not mine I wouldn't change the seat or anything.

Should I consider padded biking shorts? Input plz :^:

-Stephy

dragonwoman64 10-03-2010 02:50 PM

Yep, I experienced that. I sat on a pillow that I put over the seat.

Um, I have a big toosh, so can give a good reason why....

neonwildflower 10-03-2010 02:52 PM

I find it helps if I sit further back on the seat, where it's a little broader. It can still get pretty sore though. Not so much the muscle aching... more like that tender/bruised feeling.

Eliana 10-03-2010 04:08 PM

They make padded seats that fit over the bike seat. They sell them at Meijer/Walmart type places too.

This gets better fairly quickly. ;) I'd say if you bike 2-3 days a week you'll feel better in 2-3 weeks.

I do spin class 3 days a week and my rear end was killing me in the beginning. Now I can spin forever with no problems. My arms also ached in the beginning! I never could figure that one out. I was not leaning too much, although in retrospect it's quite possible I was.

saef 10-03-2010 05:04 PM

This happened a lot when I first started biking, and damn it, unfortunately on occasion, it still happens: I rub myself raw while biking, till I get blood spots in my underwear. It seems to be related to the underwear chafing, because I've got four pairs of padded bike shorts & never get on a bike without them. What helps is not wearing underwear & just wearing the bike shorts. Or wearing better-fitting underwear, as I was still wearing my oversized stuff from when I was fatter, because no one sees it. That tended to gather up in folds that would do unpleasant things to my butt.

Eliana 10-03-2010 05:24 PM

Oh Saef, yes, proper fitting underwear is a must. ;) In my opinion, you can go too small, but not too big. I wore too-small underwear forever! :o But the moment they got too big I had some chaffing and horrible wedgies!

Aclai4067 10-03-2010 06:34 PM

In my first spin class I used TWO gel seat covers and a towel and still had a lot of pain for the next week. My instructor said it's because I hasn't developed the proper core muscles yet so I was putting all of my weight down on the seat, instead of using those muscles to hold some of the weight up.

stacygee 10-03-2010 07:44 PM

I just started spinning class and had that problem. I bought a gel seat cover at Target. It was only 11.00. Also in spinning you stand up and pedal. It really pushes your quads and gives you butt a break. Maybe you could do that.

Lyn2007 10-03-2010 10:30 PM

Get the kind in my avatar! I LOVE it! So comfortable and NO butt or back pain. It's a recumbent Schwinn.

calluna 10-04-2010 12:36 PM

I have a recumbent schwinn also, and ride a regular upright bike on a regular basis. it takes a little while to get your bicycle butt going. I use padded bike shorts, myself.

Arctic Mama 10-04-2010 03:19 PM

My butt got a little sore even on my recumbent, but it was much worse with an upright. It does get better, but it takes time.