running challenge?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I haven't run for a long time.

Last year about this time, I started the C25K program. In December of 09 I ran my first 5K race. Up until the summer I ran pretty frequently and did 2 or 3 more 5K races. Then, for some unknown reason, I stopped.

My friend just started the C25K program and I did week 2 with her on Wednesday.

I'm excited about running again now.

I didn't lose all of the running ability as I thought I might have. Obviously, I'm not ready to run a 5K just yet...but...

I did sign up for a 4 miler on Thanksgiving! So basically I need to progress to running 4 miles in about 8 weeks. YIKES.

Anybody starting the C25K program or generally want to make a commitment to running 3 days a week (doesn't matter the speed or the distance, just get out there and run!). If so, post your running schedule and come back here to let us know how you did!

I'm going to try to run MWF, but that might change depending on the weather. In either case, I'll be running 3 days a week!

Who wants to join me in this challenge? Lets go and run!

I plan on going out tonight for a run. I'd like to do at least 2 miles.
  • Hey I'm moving on to week 2 this upcoming Monday, I'm in!
  • I love to run! I will probably on get it in twice this week (Monday and tomorrow morning). I did 4 miles on the treadmill in about 55 mins on Monday. I have to run a little, walk a little, repeat. I have a 5k coming up on the 24th!
  • I'm in!
    I'm starting the program up this evening when I get out of the office and I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm running in the Detroit "Turkey Trot" Thanksgiving Day 5K. I'm also doing the MWF training schedule (if everything goes accordingly).

Looking forward to have someone training alongside (even if its virtual!)

--Katie
  • I completed C25K on August 21 and am still running three days a week. I do 2 to 3 miles during the week and 3 or 4 on the weekend (usually Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday).

I'm running a 5K on the 24th with several friends who were motivated to do C25K because of my success with the program. I am so excited about the race...I think we're gonna have a blast! And I'm planning to do a 5K on Thanksgiving.

I love running!

Good luck everyone, and thanks for starting this thread for the support and encouragement, Matt!
  • Welcome everyone!

I'll post tonight at some point to let everyone know how it went. We are getting massive rain storms here on the east coast, but it is supposed to clear up around 8pm (that is when I'll go out to run).
  • Quote: Welcome everyone!

I'll post tonight at some point to let everyone know how it went. We are getting massive rain storms here on the east coast, but it is supposed to clear up around 8pm (that is when I'll go out to run).
    You don't live too far from me! I live in CT, but my hubby actually commutes to Boston 1 - 2 days a week. (the other days, he works from home) The rain has been somethin', huh? There were banches all over the roads this morning.
  • Run in the rain!!! Pretend you're here in Seattle. I welcome the rain..becasue when I attempt to jog (very new to this) I get soaking sweaty wet. So...the rain is actually good in my case...washes me off before I come back to work and gives me an excuse for being wet. hehehe I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to this much running, but I am doing 10000 steps a day 6 out of 7 days. So of which is now jogging.
  • I'm in!!! I was running 4-5 x a week until mid-August, but since then I've been slacking. I was working toward a 5k but never got there....

I can feel that my running ability has fallen off and I want to commit to a firm plan.
  • The report:

I ran in the rain. I didn't want to wait any longer.

Man, I am way out of running shape! I just thought I'd jog like 2 miles and I made it 1 mile before my heart felt like it was going to explode.

I guess that is what happens when you take 4 months off from running

No excuses though. I went out and did it and next time I run I'll go a bit further. I got 8 weeks to build up to 4 miles and at least I know my baseline is 1 mile.

Since today wasn't exactly the best run ever, I might go back out tomorrow night.
  • Day 1
    Sorry to hear about the rain Matt! I live in Michigan and we had all of those storms the past few days as well, luckily I was out in Las Vegas and had ZERO rain (but it was quite hard to get motivated to work out in the 100 degree heat).

First day went great... I followed the program to a T and felt that it wasn't all that challenging for the first day; I think I'm going to switch from the MWF to every other day. At least for the beginning two weeks. I'm excited to get back into running though. Already have my 5K race booked, and have begun scheduling a 10K, and a 15K for next year.
  • Ran tonight! I was undecided whether to run outside or on the treadmill. Picked the treadmill, but when I got there it was GONE! They are upgrading equipment and sold it.... so I ran outside in the dark. It was pleasant, but I kept walking, and when I looked at my heart rate, it wasn't that high.

Just lazy, I guess.
  • It was cold and rainy, but I ran this morning. I only did 1.75 miles though. (I did yoga yesterday for the first time, and ooooh, my butt hurts! )

The happiest moment of the run was the glorious rainbow - full arch, brilliant colours. I kept changing my route so I could continue to see it. Amazing!

Keep running everybody!
  • Off to do run #2 of week 1.

Will update later with details.
  • Good run today-- ran outside and it was quite hilly. 2.5 miles and I did walk a little but I felt surprisingly good. I really want to up my running distance.