Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Red face What was your worst compliment??

This weekend I saw a bunch of people that I have not seen in a year. My weight loss was a big topic of conversation. I have to admit, for the most part, I loved the compliments. However.......... there were some awkward ones. I thought that it might be fun to have a thread of awkward and down right bad compliments.

The winner of my worst compliment award................

"Boy, you have lost a TON of weight!" My response, "Well, not quite a TON!"

What was your worse compliment?
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #2  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

my worst compliment was "You look a he** of a lot better than you used to!"

Ugh.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Mine was, "You're looking so good, sweetie! I'm so glad you're not dressing in that crap that you're used to."
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

"Wow, you look good. How long do you think you'll last before you gain it back?"
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #5  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

I tried on a dress recently that I bought at the start of my journey. It was pretty much like a sausage casing at first, and now it fits WAAAY better. Anyway, I put it on yesterday and I asked my husband if it looked okay for me to wear in public now. To which he replies "Yeah, I can see a HUGE difference." I know he meant it in a good way, but it just sounded wrong!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Mine isn't a jaw-dropping one-liner.

It's people who compliment me, and then, later in our conversation, disparage fat people, such as coworkers who "got fat" or "are now even fatter."

I always wince inwardly & die a little. Probably I should challenge them or make a little speech, but I say nothing. Not a word. But my sympathies are all with the people they're disparaging. It's like it's now okay to hurl slurs against overweight people in front of me, because I overcame the sin of sloth & converted to thin-ism.

But it's not. I hate it.

Last edited by saef; 09-07-2010 at 10:18 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #7  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

"You don't take up as much of the bed as you used to."
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #8  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

"you're wasting away"
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #9  
Oh, you stubborn Viking!

S/C/G: 342/SEE TICKER/192

Height: 5 ft 9 in

My Grandma told me she was proud of me and she was so thankful I finally decided to lose weight and am not so "horribly fat" anymore. Then she went on to make sure I know how "disgusting" I used to look and that I look so much better now that I "finally have a neck". Yeah.
LacieRene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #10  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Height: 5'5"

The very worst compliment was one I gave myself recently after losing 17 lbs.- I told my husband "well now, maybe I look a little less grotesque".

What's up with talking to myself like that????? I really had to talk to me about not doing that to me!!!! Just realizing that the thought came into my head made me think twice about bad self talk. Then I gave myself a hug.

If any member of 3FCs had said that about themselves, I would have posted some words of encouragement. I decided to do that for myself.

I don't care as much about what others say to me - but I sure care about what I say to me!
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

At my book club, another woman has lost about 50 lbs., and someone said to her how great her body was looking...and as soon as she was out of the room she said "funny i thought she had a pretty face when she was fat, but now that i can really see it - not so much" WOW.

Naturally I had to say "you realize you said that OUT LOUD right???" heh i can't even stop myelf

The worst thing I've heard about myself was "you must be so happy to be slim now....MAYBE YOU'LL GET TO KEEP THAT HANDSOME HUSBAND OF YOURS" OMFG (again, couldn't stop myself, "well what's your excuse Miriam?? you're slim-ish and you have no husband at all" MEOW lol)

Last edited by Trazey34; 09-07-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #12  

Height: 5'11"

LOL, Trazey, I've always thought that you would be awesome to hang around with because of your honesty and sense of humor!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
At my book club, another woman has lost about 50 lbs., and someone said to her how great her body was looking...and as soon as she was out of the room she said "funny i thought she had a pretty face when she was fat, but now that i can really see it - not so much" WOW.

Naturally I had to say "you realize you said that OUT LOUD right???" heh i can't even stop myelf

The worst thing I've heard about myself was "you must be so happy to be slim now....MAYBE YOU'LL GET TO KEEP THAT HANDSOME HUSBAND OF YOURS" OMFG (again, couldn't stop myself, "well what's your excuse Miriam?? you're slim-ish and you have no husband at all" MEOW lol)
Wow, woman! I'd give half of my shiny soul to be as amazingly confident as you are. I may THINK things like that all the time, but the mere thought of actually stepping out and standing up like that makes me quake in fear! Go you, girl!

--

Also, I don't think I've really had any "bad" compliments. Of course, I've been off the wagon for about three months now. So I haven't actually heard any compliments at all. Lol.
Shifterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #14  
it IS all about me!!!

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/165ish

Height: 5'8"

"You are looking less bovine these days." From my younger brother.
RobinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post

LMAO. Win!
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote