Ugh. Shoot me now.

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm just so....UGH. So I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that my scale was messing up. That maybe it wasn't reading my weight correctly. It was a digital scale, and I reset it every once in a while just in case, you know?

Well first thing that happens was on Saturday morning, my scale breaks. Like, I step on it and it CRACKS. As in, my scale officially broke because I was too fat to stand on it, cracked. REALLY? What a great start to a day, right?

Second thing that happens was this morning...I finally bought a new scale Saturday night, set it up yesterday, and took my weight this morning. It's taken me all day to calm down enough from my fit of self-hate and depression to write this out.

NOT ONLY does my new scale give me a weight that is 10 lbs higher than my "current" weight, BUT I'm also now at my "highest" documented weight from a scale.

Really, scale? You gotta do this to me now?

So now, I'm not only going to have to readjust all my counters, but I'm essentially starting at ZERO weight loss, because there's no real way to know for sure how much I've lost if my scale really was that defunct.

ARGH. You know, I'm seriously considering just moving to a once a month weigh in just so I don't have to deal with crazy scales on a daily basis.

Note: I weighed myself on my Mom's scale, just in case. It confirmed the new scale's reading >=(
  • Did you take your measurements? I was shocked to see how on the weeks I DONT lose, I have lost inches!

Keep your head up girl! That scale is NOT a tell all! Its just one of many ways to measure our progress.
  • *sigh* I know. You're right, Bran. But really, I just wanna toss the scale out the window and be done with it. I'm seriously considering buying a measuring tape and going off my measurements from now on, and to **** with my weight.

A measuring tape won't lie to me!
  • Oh man, that really SUX!!! I feel SO bad that happened to you!! ARGG! Torture!

I personally love weighing once a month. AS LONG as I know I am on plan and doing what I need to do to lose weight, then I love the freedom from stressing on the ups and downs. I am almost soley focused on the BEHAVIORS that will lead me to a healthy life, and almost incidentally the scale number is going down. At this point I really am just weighing at all just to make sure I am still on track and my plan doesn't need to be tweaked. I know it's not for everyone, but I love it.

At least you know this won't happen again! Just go from your new scale from now on.
  • This is true. I'm considering just doing measurements and weighing in once a month from now on. This way it's just like you said, I don't have to worry about the constant ups and downs. As long as I'm exercising and eating correctly, my weight will go down all on its own.

But ARGH. I just wanna throttle someone. Or something...*glares at scale*
  • I like doing measurements too! In a month I have lost 10 pounds but I have lost 14 inches off my body. The scale can be off but the measurements are usually right on. Try doing measurements every month and check the scale once a week or once every 2 weeks so you know you are still progressing without the every day worry.
  • I've been doing what ^^Mommy1028 just suggested... I weigh in once a week and I do measurements every month. Other than that, I don't step on the scale. And I've been more excited about the old clothes that a starting to fit again than the lost lbs.
    Sorry you had such a bad scale fiasco! Don't let it keep you down!
  • OMG i had the exact same problem a few days ago!!! Its just the worst feeling! - I *do* measure and I feel satisfied that my measurements didn't go up with the scale going up, but there is something about the number of pounds going down that is satisfying, unfortunately when they go up, its devastating!!
  • The scale is merely one of many tools that I use to keep me going and on track. Now you have an honest assessment of where you are at. Just think how much more gratifying this journey will be now that you know exactly where you have started. Honesty was a very important step for me. I ducked from that scale for close to 15 years trying to hide from the truth. Now I face that scale - no more denial. It's just a health conscious and convenient way to stay in tuned with my body.

I would urge you though to focus on the BEHAVIORS that will get the scale moving down, not the scale itself.

Spend your energy looking for recipes, honing your plan - tweaking it and making it enjoyable, developing strategies, tips and tricks to get you through all situations - boredom, anger, stress, parties, holidays, unexpected outings, joy, etc. Focus on meal planning, preparation, working in activity and exercise, telling yourself no, learning proper portions, calorie tracking, food journaling, taking foods with you and on and on.

There really is lots more vital things to be involved with than that scale.

And the good thing is, once you get these behaviors down pat - that scale will have no choice but to move down and you will have nothing to fear and you will actually look forward to stepping on it.

I look forward to hearing of your progress.
  • tape measurements are much more accurate than scales in telling you how healthy you are becoming. You've worked so hard, don't let this set you back. Show that nasty scale who's boss!
  • I talked to my boyfriend about it last night. He agreed that I "shouldn't be so obsessed" with the scale and that I should focus on getting healthy primarily.

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to measure myself once a month and I'm only going to weigh myself once every two weeks. I know if I'm doing everything else right [exercising, eating, drinking water, not smoking] then the inches and lbs will fall off.

*sigh* Man, what a wake up call. Stupid scale. It's officially on my crap-list for the time being. I'm putting the scale in the closet for a two week time-out.
  • Quote: tape measurements are much more accurate than scales in telling you how healthy you are becoming.
    Not so sure I agree with this. One of the healthiest thing a person can do for themselves is to get down to a healthy weight. You can eat only healthy foods and still be carrying around extra pounds. You can exercise like crazy and still be carrying around extra pounds. Carrying around extra pounds is not healthy.
  • Quote: Not so sure I agree with this. One of the healthiest thing a person can do for themselves is to get down to a healthy weight. You can eat only healthy foods and still be carrying around extra pounds. You can exercise like crazy and still be carrying around extra pounds. Carrying around extra pounds is not healthy.
    Getting down to a healthy weight is still the ultimate goal...but for right now, perhaps measuring might be a better way to gauge my success?
  • Quote: Not so sure I agree with this. One of the healthiest thing a person can do for themselves is to get down to a healthy weight. You can eat only healthy foods and still be carrying around extra pounds. You can exercise like crazy and still be carrying around extra pounds. Carrying around extra pounds is not healthy.
    I agree with the underlined I was kinda implying (though I realise I'm not the most articulate person) that if your body is getting smaller, then it's probably gonna be because of weight loss. Scales can be dodgy (as the OP has demonstrated :P) for a whole variety of reasons, but an inch is an inch, and tape measures have a lot less variation than scales do. Also it's always nice at least know the general area where your body is shrinking . ("the scale says I lost 15lbs *looks down* but where??")

But anyhoo, if one method is frustrating you, try another one, and keep trying till you find a routine that works for you Maybe tape measuring won't have you worrying about your loss every week, or the daily excitment/disapointment of loosing/gaining on the scales spurs you on.
  • Minor update: I threw my old scale into the dumpster and it shattered. It was very satisfying. I haven't thrown something that hard since I kicked my ex out last year [HA!]. I feel better