Old 08-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

Red face Zumba Fitness ~ Reviews?

Several people from my area have been talking about attending Zumba Fitness classes, and while I'm still too self-concious to exercise in front of other people, I was thinking about ordering the DVD's to use here at home. So, I was wondering ... have any of you tried it? Being the size I am, I'd have to start out slow, but I love to dance, and I thought this might be a good way to do that, plus get some exercise. If it's not suitable for beginners though, I might have to try and find something else.

Any advice? Thanks!
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

Zumba was actually the first group class that I ever did when I first started woking out at around 285 lbs and I ended up loving it! My friends talked me into doing it and said it was so much fun, and it really is! Nobody cares about what you look like while you are doing it and most people are in their own little zumba world lol. Even the teachers say not to worry too much about the moves and just keep moving and have fun. You will eventually get the hang of it and learn the routines!
I would say go to the class and go for it! Even bring some friends it will make it even more fun! I just got home from a zumba class and I havent done it in a couple of months and didnt know any of the routines they did but you pick it up quickly!
Jessica88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #3  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I recently started Zumba classes & love it! There are all ages & sizes there my friends kept flaking out on me so I went by myself lol
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

Thanks ladies. I'll probably end up buying a DVD collection from their website. It looks like a lot of fun.
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't know, I don't have the DVDs (they aren't my thing). Like the others above, I go to a class where all ages and sizes are partying on. Seriously, NO ONE is looking at you--it's so fast paced and you have to focus on going right instead of left (and laughing when you go left anyways!) that it's nearly impossible to be self-conscious. Trust me, I ***hate*** stuff like aerobics and other exercise classes. Zumba is truly a different experience.

I go on my own, too, after my friend quit to join a gym. The other ladies are very nice and I always feel a part of the group. Why not give a class a try before spending the money on the set?
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #6  
it IS all about me!!!

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/165ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm going to my first Zumba class tomorrow evening with my new "diet buddy" - my son's girlfriend's mom.

It sounds like a hoot and I'm looking forward to it... something I never thought I'd say about a fitness class.
RobinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #7  

RobinD, you're gonna get hooked!!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #8  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

I love Zumba. I haven't been since June and need to get back to it. It's very addictive. And ITA that everyone is in their own little zumba world. I'm the 3rd largest in the class {or was when I left} but the only people who so much as look at the heavier girls wrong are usually the kind I don't pay attention to anyways.

Last edited by mkat321; 09-02-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling mistake
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #9  
it IS all about me!!!

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/165ish

Height: 5'8"

Well, I have got to admit that it kicked my butt, but it was a blast! I felt like a graceless stumblebum, but nobody seemed to mind. I felt surprisingly unselfconscious and will definitely go to the next class too. If I sill like it after a few visits I may invest in the DVD set so I can learn the steps at home and workout between classes. This is much more my thing, since gyms and exercise machines really aren't my thing. I have a low tolerance for tedium - too dang ADD; I think Zumba would take a long time to get boring, if it ever does.
RobinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #10  

I've been doing it since April 2009, and I've yet to get bored! And I get my *** handed to me every time I go! LOL I think that's why I like it so much. It's like a super fast hour and I'm almost surprised to find myself soaked in sweat afterwards. "But...that was FUN! It didn't FEEL like work!"

My regular Zumba instructor went back to Cuba for vacation, so I've been going to a different class for the past 3 weeks. I'd have to say that last night, my third visit, I felt almost like I knew what I was doing.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #11  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Zumba. Don't feel self-conscious, just have fun! I haven't used the DVD's much, I really prefer going to classes and enjoying the Zumba party with others. Whatever you do, don't get frustrated. You won't know all the steps from the beginning, but no one does. Just do the best you can and realize you need a few weeks before you get comfortable with the moves! Have a great time!!
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Go do ZUMBA! I started Zumba classes at 302lbs! Believe me, everyone there is trying so hard to stay on track with the music and the dance moves that they are NOT worried about what you look like doing it. It was fun, burns a whole mess of calories, and I look forward to it EVERY week. Have fun!!
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

I started a Zumba class this week (I've gone 3 days already and going again today!) and I'm already getting the hang of it. I know there are a lot of dance workout videos and I have some but it is so much more fun to go with all those people. Nobody cares what you do, everyone works at their own intensity and everyone sweats and has fun. There are some larger girls there, and some smaller ones, and some in betweens, and there have even been a couple of guys coming. We all have a blast and the best thing is with my gym membership the extra fitness classes are free. So pretty sweet. Go!
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #14  

Height: 5'5"

I've been taking it for about a year. GO TO A CLASS! It will be much more fun to do it in a group, believe me. If you do it at home you won't have the same "energy". I am the biggest one in my class, but there are all sizes, older ladies too (and I'm 56). I had been working out since last November but I truly noticed the stomach flattening (lost 4 inches in my waist) from the class. Just do it! The music makes you forget you're working out, you're just dancing.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

I just went to zumba toning yesterday, has anyone ever tried it? Its a lot of fun too! zumba is amazing
Jessica88 is offline   Reply With Quote