3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Yoga is the shiz-nit. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/211577-yoga-shiz-nit.html)

althepirate 09-02-2010 02:33 PM

Yoga is the shiz-nit.

Like, for real. I'm doing Hatha Yoga as a one hour credit for my college this semester, which means I go to "class" twice a week for a little over an hour each time [TR, 9:25 - 10:40am].

I am EXHAUSTED today. Today was only the fourth class, but I'm still sore from "taking it slow" on Tuesday. I thought maybe it was just me being bigger [fat] and being mostly sedentary, but when the teacher asked us how we've felt since Tuesday, almost the whole class agreed that we're all sore! Apparently it has to do with how the muscles/etc. are stretched out. I did the research, but I'm pretty tired right now. Might post a more in depth analysis later lol.

And also, I feel pretty betrayed! No one said ANYTHING about push ups and crunches when I signed up for this class! [j/k] The teacher is having us do both in class in the middle of the routines to build up muscle. She says we'll "thank her for it later" when we're doing harder poses at the end of the semester. Seriously though, this class is kicking my *** and I'm loving it! I feel completely worn out afterward, but I also feel limber and loose and warm! It feels amazing.

Just wanted to put it out there...if anyone is looking for a good way to be introduced to the world of stretching/minor work outs, yoga is totally the way to go. Or Tai Chi! Doing that in the spring. Both are very pain/injury friendly.

I also gained a half pound [which depresses me] but the Boyfriend swears I've already started slimming down. Praying it's muscle!

althepirate 09-02-2010 07:03 PM

I take it no one else does Yoga? lol

neonwildflower 09-02-2010 07:24 PM

I'm looking to do yoga, I tried a couple poses on my mom's Wii Fit, and even just that was so calming... but hard work, too! It made me realise that taking an actual class with an instructor would be hugely beneficial, but now that I'm in a new city at a new school I've gotta figure out if I can take one on campus for cheap, or if I'd have to find a studio and fork out more cash for it. We'll see! Glad to hear you're enjoying it so much!

Onederchic 09-02-2010 07:29 PM

If you do a search, I am sure you will find several threads on yoga. As for myself, I don't do it regularly but I incorporate it when I am bored with the other things I usually do.

SnowboundChick 09-02-2010 07:29 PM

I love doing yoga. When I'm in a better routine I do it almost everyday, maybe I should start doing that more regular, right now it's sporadic.

SeaWave 09-02-2010 08:57 PM

I'm just now trying to decide between doing yoga or tai chi. We received a flyer in the 'junk mail' package tonight that had the adult ed stuff in it, and both are being given at a high school near me. I think you're convincing me to take tai chi (I'm no where near ready for anything strenuous until I've more recovered from chemo/op/upcoming rads).

Good luck with your class, and don't forget to hydrate. I hear that yoga is one of those things where dehydration can creep up on you (yes, it's the mother in me speaking!)

althepirate 09-02-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaWave (Post 3465027)
I'm just now trying to decide between doing yoga or tai chi. We received a flyer in the 'junk mail' package tonight that had the adult ed stuff in it, and both are being given at a high school near me. I think you're convincing me to take tai chi (I'm no where near ready for anything strenuous until I've more recovered from chemo/op/upcoming rads).

Good luck with your class, and don't forget to hydrate. I hear that yoga is one of those things where dehydration can creep up on you (yes, it's the mother in me speaking!)

I would def start with Tai Chi primarily, then. It's very low impact and there's not a whole lot of crazy stretching...just lots of learning how to balance and...well, breathe! lol

And yes, dehydration creeps up about halfway through the class. I keep a water bottle next to my mat :) Thank you for the reminder though!

JulieJ08 09-02-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by althepirate (Post 3464545)
Yoga is the shiz-nit.

Yes, yes it is :D