Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Weight Loss is Catching....!

I think weight loss might be catching. I know when I was trying to lose weight, the biggest thing that discouraged me was that I didn't know anyone who had done it before.

Now, several people in my workplace have lost a bunch of weight-- none as much as me-- but over the course of the past year there have been a few other weight loss successes. Somebody came up to me at work a few days ago and said she needed to lose 80 lbs and what should she do?

I really think the biggest obstacle to weight loss is people's belief that it is not possible.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I was wondering if the same thing might happen at my workplace. Everyone expresses the desire to lose, anyway.

My two best girlfriends are dieting right along with me, and one has lost 60 pounds, the other 30. It's been nice having each other. And I started it.

I lost weight because my cousin did it! She lost 90 pounds, then I started, then my two girlfriends and my husband too! So her 90 pound loss affected at the very least four people. Amazing.

Last edited by Eliana; 09-02-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #3  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I know one friend at my workplace at least said she was inspired by me and starting working on her weight. Don't know the total tally, though. It's nice to have someone to talk to about it who is also interested.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

It is so wonderful that you are inspiring others!

Quote:
I really think the biggest obstacle to weight loss is people's belief that it is not possible.
Me too!! I know that I thought that for years.

Exercise is catching too. For a couple of years now I spend my breaks walking. I know of several other people who started after watching me. This summer we had months of 100+ degree weather. I could not do my usual outdoor walking because I would be totally offensive afterward.
Next door to my office building is a 4 story building so I started going up and down the stairs in air conditioned comfort. Others caught on and now you never know who you are going to run into while going up and down. We have started referring to it as our "gym"!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

I was excited to see that over the summer someone in my cohort had lost a lot of weight - she is 4 sizes down! Another person in my cohort has also lost a few and told me today that my turning down a small frappe (450 cals) and getting a small berry smoothie (210 cals) instead because of the cals has inspired her to start paying more attention.

My husband has lost btwn 10 - 15 lbs. A few months back he wanted to do the C25K program with me but one of his knees hurt too much, I think it discouraged him. He recently started getting up early to work out on our elyptical.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote