For newbies and all of us alike

• There are a lot of new faces around here

I figure now is a great time to share some of our new favourite foods! or special tips you have.

I'll start:

favourite new foods:
    turkey bacon - 3 slices 1 point
    light laughing cow cheese - 1 point for 1 wedge - it's so creamy!
    diet jello - 0 points!!
    diet cherry coke - I used to only drink regular soda - but this stuff is good!
    Natural ovens dinner rolls very filling and only 1 point - www.naturalovens.com
    there are tons of others that I will add later!

tips:
    I put a lot of food on a "bed of lettuce" when ever possible. Zero points and it's a veggie! I don't normally like a side salad because I add too many points. Sometimes at lunch I cook a 3 oz chicken breast on my george foreman (a must!) , slice it - put it on a bed of lettuce with onions, salsa and ff sour cream. Very filling for just 3 points.

What are some of your favourites?

Dana
  • This is a great idea! This would help me a lot, since I am trying to make small steps to come back to getting healthy. I'm not far enough into it to have any specific food ideas yet, but one general tip that I heard on an inspirational program the other day was:

To win our battles, we have to FIGHT!

Somehow that spoke to me, because for so long I've just been sitting idly in a sort of depression about everything. But maybe if I look at my extra poundage as an enemy that threatens my health, happiness, and future, I can shift my "rear into gear"!!!

*smiles* irishwings
  • Some "new" foods I have discovered since starting this journey...

~Blue Bunny fat-free frozen yogurt: tastes delicious & it great for those "dying for something sweet" moments. Only 2 points for 1/2 Cup.

~Healthy Choice soups: filling, good source of protein & fiber. Only 2 points per serving, or 4 points for the can.

~Healthy Choice whole grain bread: 1 point per slice & I love the "grainy" flavor

~Campbell's Soup at Hand tomato & vegetable soup: only 2 points per serving, filling, & very handy when you're in a hurry

~Lots & lots of vegetables: almost all are 0 points & the high water & fiber content make them filling. I always try to get a 0 point veggie in at most meals just to add some bulk

Good idea, Dana
  • Good idea! I'm always looking for ways to make weight loss easier

I work an 8 to 5 job, so I need to have lunches that are quick and/or portable. Some of my new favorite foods are:

Subway ham & turkey breast 6" sub
    BK Chicken Whopper Jr. with lite (or no) mayo
    Taco Bell soft chicken tacos (2)
    Lean Cuisine Chicken Fettucini Alfredo
    Lean Cuisine Swedish Meatballs with Pasta

I don't know the WW points on these, but they're all about two proteins, two starch, and a couple of fats if you're following an exchange diet. Just add some fruit (I love the lite fruit cups) and some FF yogurt and you've got a good, balanced meal.

I also like the Pringles fat free sour cream & onion chips. The new diet Code Red Mt. Dew is really good. Sargento (I think) makes a lite string cheese that's good, too. A good source of protein, pre-measured and portable. Another good food is Morningstar Farms "Chik" Nuggets; they're low-fat and taste like the real thing!

Some of my favorite tips:

If you're tempted to "taste" while cooking or baking, chew sugar-free gum.

Drink enough water.

Eat enough protein. (This is a biggie for me, because I like carbohydrates a lot more than protein.)

TTYL,

Jo
    350+/289/125?
  • Jo, I chew gum when I'm tempted too! That is my favorite little piece of advice.

Favorite "new" foods:
    diet cream soda or diet rootbeer - I don't really like diet sodas, but I love these and I won't drink a regular soda anymore
    Orrowheat 9 grain bread - 0 points for two slices! I love it, it is filling and great for sandwiches.

I can't think of any others right now, but I'm sure that there are some.
  • Denise! Where do you find Orrowheat 9 grain bread? Is it a local thing? It sounds great & for 0 points, can you really go wrong?!
  • yes.. tell us more about the bread!

I also like natural ovens bread too - lately I've been eating the low carb bread - 2 slices for 1 point. I love to make pbj sandwiches with whipped pb 2 tb for 3 points
  • Ry Krisp f/f crackers

Morningstar Farms Meatless Breakfast Patties & Meatless Breakfast Strips (also known as facon) I like to have a facon, lettuce & tomato sandwich.

I also enjoy the Natural Ovens bread

Edy's Whole Fruit popsicles & sorbet

Hunts f/f pudding--I freeze them to make f/f pudding pops
  • The Orrowheat bread I used to find it at the grocery stores, but lately I've had to go to the Entemann's outlet store to get it. I stocked up last time I saw it and my freezer is full of bread! I think that they are either discontinuing it or they are revamping it. Right now it has 60 calories, .5 grams of fat, and 5 dietary fiber= 0 points. I certainly hope that you can find it!
  • good idea!
    I like to eat:
    Subway Veggie Subs (you can load up on the veggies.) one half sub is 200 calories for a veggie not including the cheese. So if you add cheese and oil/vinegar count it as 300. The cheese for two half pieces (which is what you get on a 6 inch) is 40 calories so I try to guesstimate the calories as best I can.

Burger King BK Veggie Burger-300 calories w/o cheese though.

Morningstar Farms Veggie Sausage Patties for breakfast with some shredded cheddar cheese on top. (very low carb and it will stick with you all morning.)

Can you tell I am a vegetarian??
    How did I get sooo big?? Well mostly eating too much yummy pasta, etc... not to mention m&m's, icecream, and other sweet things.
    good luck to our newbies!
    laura
    313/249/160
    starting/current/goal
  • Wow, so many great ideas from everyone. I'm still trying to come up with a list, but my mind is blank. One thing I usually do is to drink a glass of water before supper so I don't go overboard. It's also good to keep cut up vegies, like carrots and celery, in the frig for snacks. When I want a snack, I try to grab a piece of fruit or fat free jello or fat free pudding. I do good all day at work. The evenings are my downfall. So I have to have healthy snacks for the evening.

Lainie
  • where i live i don't get many diet foods.
    I love jello fat free sugar free puddings - the butterscotch is good, the choc pudding is to die for. dont know points though.

Good old diet coke is always to hand.
    Special K is enjoyable, i used to never buy it, thought it was gimmicky, but actually is a delicious cereal, and the new berry blend of special K is really fruity, great raspberries and strawberries, it tastes so healthy.

I love a good old turkey cheese sandwich, two slices of bread, two slices of thin turkey and one slice of kraft cheese, again dont know points, but it satisfies me, spray of pam on the toaster grill and thats all.

subway is always good, lately i have been eating their salads rather than breads, filling and tasty and even lower calories than six inch sub.

but but but, i have a weakness for dark chocolate ice cream, and however healthy i try and eat, i always have some in the freezer and unfortunately thats my down fall.

Hey what about a thread of diet down falls, i would be first on the list with chocolate ice cream. maybe we can help each other wean our bad habit.

have a great weekend
  • favourite foods:
    Homemade wild barley mushroom soup
    Empanadas (yeah, I made them with ground turkey but I use a pie crust, nothing but fat)
    diet cherry coke & Fresca
    chips and salsa
    ZONE BARS! (Yum!)

tips:
    I started cooking more. I don't have the time to cook breakfast but I like making a homemade soup to take to work and I've been trying to "think ahead" for dinner. Fast food is never as good as what the boyfriend cooks and it's never satisfying.

Go to the Farmer's Market. Buy lots of veggies, you'll feel guilty if you don't use them.

Favourite exercise:
    Ballet & water aerobics. Ballet because I think it helps my posture and forces me to stretch. Water aerobics because as soon as I hit the water, I'm in a good mood.

Favourite quote:
    (From my ballet teacher) "Your job is to take up as much space as possible at all times."

Dougie - may I suggest Haagen-Daaz Chocolate Sorbet. GREAT flavor, very intense.