3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I felt so sorry for... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/210530-i-felt-so-sorry.html)

ubergirl 08-20-2010 10:57 AM

I felt so sorry for...

I am moving soon, and am looking for a place to live. Yesterday, I had to walk up to look at a third floor apartment and I bounded right up the stairs-- you know, 3 flights of stairs is nothing.

The apartment manager was morbidly obese, and I should have thought to walk slower so as not to leave her behind. I felt SO AWFUL for her.... She was severely winded from walking up the 3 flights, so much so that she really never caught her breath the whole time we were up there, and she was trying really hard to hide it, but of course, mindful of the problems of the morbidly obese, I noticed it right away.

I felt so sad for her that she had to live like that. :(

I didn't say anything of course, but it reminded me to count my blessings.

JustBeckyV 08-20-2010 11:06 AM

Every day I count mine. My DH has pulmonary fibrosis and has difficultly breathing and sometimes I have to stop and catch myself for walking too fast when I am with him.

StarvingPoet 08-20-2010 01:04 PM

Given that my husband is a recent cancer survivor, I never forget to count my blessings every single day. Life is too short not to. :)

Natasha1534 08-20-2010 05:15 PM

It's funny how something so little can make you realize just how lucky you are to have made this important change in your lifestyle. And how sweet of you to feel bad for leaving her behind. :)

rockinrobin 08-20-2010 07:51 PM

Oh Uber, I go through this all the time. I am heartsick over occurrences like the one you described.

I often wonder if I am so aware of it because of where I came from. I doubt if anyone who's never been (super) morbidly obese even thinks about what someone that heavy has to live like and how hard it can be for them to get through the day doing just ordinary things.

I vividly remember the days when I would walk up a flight of stairs with someone and had to *fake it* and try to *cover* the fact that I was too out of breath to speak. NOT pleasant.

I too count my blessings and am grateful to no longer have to live my life with added stress, difficulties and hardships.

envelope 08-20-2010 08:11 PM

I have recently met a woman who struggles while walking distances due to her weight and I have thought, "There but for the grace of God". I am so thankful that I hit the point that I realized I had to change my unhealthy habits.

Arctic Mama 08-20-2010 08:12 PM

I always wonder if I fooled anyone, trying not to act out of breath when I was? I would like to think I am just hyperaware of it now, since I have been there, done that, and know what an awful feeling it is (anyhow much better I feel, now!).

I am having a hard time getting up stairs again, mainly due to pelvic looseness and the high blood volume that comes with pregnancy. But what is harder to believe is that, 50 pounds ago, I felt this way every day! It's been a humbling reminder of why I refuse to give up and let go on my eating, I don't ever want to be back to this as 'normal' for me!

I think it was sweet that you thought of her, even after the fact. Compassion is a really important character trait :hug:

Eliana 08-20-2010 08:53 PM

I am still reminded daily of nearly every moment like that. Just today I was in the elevator with a large wheel chair, my brother and a doctor and I thought about how uncomfortable that would have been 67 pounds ago. My step-dad had to scoot passed me around a tiny space and he couldn't have done that before. I got up from a meeting and had to scoot behind everyone's chair. Last year I never would have sat where I did, I'd have sat at the other end by the door where I didn't have to ever scoot behind anyone.

And now, if I happen to notice someone who is obese trying to scoot behind me, I pancake myself into the table as much as I can to give them room. Of course I did that before I lost the weight too...it just didn't work so well. :D