3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Weight-Lifting (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/21041-weight-lifting.html)

missaprylj 10-14-2002 11:16 PM

Weight-Lifting

So, tell me about weight-training and how it should work into my life. LOL!;) Seriously, I'm hearing a lot about how building muscle fights fat and so on and so forth. Tell me more. Give me an example if you can... like, getting 3lb weights and doing curls, does that help anything? Hehh... so much to learn. Thank you for reading. Peace. -Apryl

KittyMilk 10-14-2002 11:42 PM

There is alot to learn, some basics are for building muscle you should do the exersize 8-10 times before you start to struggle with it, then rest and do your other arm or whatever exersize your doing. Thats called one set of 8-10 reps and your supposed to do 3 sets of each exersize. I recommend starting slowly as it can really make you sore the next day, oh yeah your not supposed to exersize the next day either, not with weights anyway, walking is ok. It is really important you do the exersize corretly as you can hurt and strain your muscles. The best way to do that is at a gym - they will teach you how to stand and what kinda exersizes to do and give you charts to fill perhaps so you can mark you reps and sets down as you do them. You can also learn alot of the internet I'm sure, just be alittle carefull and make sure you understand the posture and the exersize first - phew! your probably saying :D Your right there is alot to learn but the results can be amazing, you'll discover muscles you never knew you had! :strong:

Kitty

MzPen 10-15-2002 08:46 AM

There are tons and tons of weight-lifting plans you can follow, and the benefits are many, as you obviously have heard! For me, the best has been an increase in energy every time I work out; plus, it has helped to keep my moods from roller-coastering all around! Here are a couple of ideas:

The cheap way: Get a book (or a few) from the library on the subject. Buy some dumbbells (you can even use things around the house - cans, water jugs - but dumbbells are pretty cheap and easier to hold!). The books can instruct you on simple routines, when and how ... And as you may read, you can do a complete workout every other day OR you can alternate muscle groups each day (i.e., some plans will have you work out your upper body one day, lower body the next -- the point is the exercised muscles need a day of rest)

The less cheap way: Join a gym, if you haven't already, and use the expertise of the people there to help you come up with a plan. However, in this case I would urge you to consider doing some reading anyway, and also consider doing some work with free weights and not just the machines ... This is a personal thing for me, as I find I get bored just using the machines! Also, I've heard that there is an advantage to varying your routine every couple of weeks.

I got started myself by ordering a videotape from Joyce Vedral ... she has some really short routines that I find easy and enjoyable, and I felt the energy from the very first workout. ALSO, I had minimal soreness. If you have a lot of soreness the next day, you should probably use lighter weights and build up from there (you can even start out with no weights if necessary).

Check out MrsJim, who is an expert on this -- look under Diet Plans - Body for Life or Exercise at the main board, you'll find her there.

Also, a website I like: http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

You can do it! Even a short workout can do wonders! Good luck!

Pen

SuchAPrettyFace 10-15-2002 10:29 AM

Wait

Aren't you still in High School? You're in Ashland, which is a smaller town, but your school must have sports teams? Most high schools have a weight room. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd go back & not be intimidated by all the jocks in the weight room, I'd pump iron right along w/them.

If you're taking gym this semester, ask your teacher about getting into the weight room when it's not being used, etc. One of the units they should have you in (archery, golf, tennis, swimming, etc) is the weight room. They taught us how to use the machines & how to spot each other. Take advantage of it! :D

Barring that, yeah, you can pick up some 3# weights & do curls. Kitty is right though--every other day w/the weight training. Your muscles need to rest, too.

Sandi 10-15-2002 11:03 AM

Mz Pen - which video fro Jaoyce. I have her book and I have been wanting to order a video. Do you need a bench to do it?

Jennelle 10-15-2002 11:20 AM

Apryl...I like SuchaPrettyFace's suggestion...one of the cutest, sweetest boys I met in high school I met in the weight room during gym. I still blush when I think about that adorable red-headed Greg... :o

Dyanm1 10-15-2002 12:28 PM

I just started a book by Kathy Smith, last week. It consists of streching 6x a week, lifting 2-3x a week and doing cardio 3x a week. So far my energy has exploded. I think I need to use heavier weights, looking into buying 8 pounders this week. I started w/ 5 and on some actually have to use 3. I have such weak arms! Anyhoo, it called "Lift weights to lose weight" it's a 12 week program. We start w/ one set of 18-20 reps and as time goes on, will do 2 set, w/ less reps (or number of times to lift the dumbell). She also has a food section (which I'm ignoring) and what gym equipment to use if your going to the gym. Hope this helps!

MzPen 10-15-2002 02:29 PM

I got the Fat Burning Workout 2-volume set off the Joyce Vedral website. I had forgotten she has all those others; I may have to get some more! I imagine some people might find her a bit irritating - I think she's a bit of a hoot! She works with doing 3 supersets with progressing weights - i.e., I have 3#, 5# & 8# and am going to be getting a pair of 10#. A bench would be nice, but you don't have to have one -- I have a sort of incline think from the home gym gathering dust in the corner, but you can use the floor, a coffee table - and use some pillows when you need an incline (so your elbows don't hit the floor during your chest press!).

I've heard a lot of good things about Kathy Smith, too.

Apryl, I didn't know you were still in HS -- I like the idea of using the school gym. I imagine it would make it easier if you can find a coach who is kind and interested in helping. I never got the impression my HS gym teachers were like that --- but then, I never made an effort to get to know them or ask them for help. Who knows, you may find a lasting influence in one.

Pen

Sandi 10-15-2002 04:05 PM

Energy exploding...now those are the words I like to hear!! Dyan, keep us informed of your progress!!

Thanks - mzpen - going to go to the verdal web site now. I just think it would be easier to follow a video than the book. I didn't know she had video's when I bought the book. Since I am walking in the morning now, I could find 30 min 3x a week to lift. Will it take longer or more than that?

Jennelle 10-15-2002 06:40 PM

I did it. I bought a Bowflex. I've wanted one for years, and I finally got one. (Hubby just got a new job with a $20K a year raise attached, so it's my gift to both of us.)

MzPen 10-16-2002 08:28 AM

J- congratulations on your husband's raise! I know that feels good! Just don't let that Bowflex become a dust-collector, like so many home machines seem to!

Sandi -- the tape I have has two parts (on the first tape; I've only used that one so far!), the first for upper body, the second for lower, and each take about half an hour or a little less. It's set up so that you can do upper one day, lower the next, but you can do it as you see fit -- say, just use the upper body workout 3x a week, maybe fit in the lower body part whenever you get a chance or if it's raining and you don't want to go walking ... I did find, though, that having a tape to follow was easier and more of an incentive than following a book.

Pen
255/221/150ish

Jennelle 10-16-2002 07:44 PM

MzPen :lol: I had an exercycle from Sears that for a while did duty as the world's most expensive clothes hanger. I also had a crappy little treadmill that I bought at a yard sale for $25. It was horrible and would overheat at a moment's notice, so it ended up being relegated to the junk room. I'm hoping that everyone will want to use the Bowflex...daughter talks about wanting to weight lift, and son is a skinny-minny who could use the extra beef, and husband should be doing weight-bearing exercise for his knee, anyway. (He blew it out playing volleyball about six years ago.)

LainieinGA 10-16-2002 08:05 PM

Jennelle,

I've done the same thing. I've had several exercise bikes that end up being clothes hangers. When I was married, I would get on my exercise bike every evening until my "wonderful" hubby (divorced for 11 years) starting humming the theme music from the Wizard of Oz. You know the one where the old witch is riding the bike with Toto in the basket. I don't think I've been on a bike since then. About a year ago, I bought an Ab-Doer. Haven't been on it in awhile. It's just take up space right now. Although I do hope once my back has mended, I will be able to use it again. I would like to get a treadmill, but just can't afford it right now. Good luck with the Bowflex. Let us know how you do with it.

Lainie

MzPen 10-17-2002 08:17 AM

Jenelle, how old are your kids? I have read that kids shouldn't use weights until they are 12 ... should just do more calisthenic sort of stuff, like pushups and situps. Although my 6 yo loves to grab my 3# dumbbells and do a few bicep curls once in a while!

Lanie, do you still have an exercise bike? If you watch any TV after your long day, maybe you could hope on one for 15-30 minutes while you're watching.

Apryl, haven't heard from you ... have you done more thinking about lifting weights???

Pen

missaprylj 10-17-2002 05:32 PM

well, yeah... i'm DEFINETLY going to get some little dumbells, and try to start working it into my fitness routine. i'll probably just get a workout out of magazine or something, maybe i'll alternate cardio and weight lifting... that sounds the best. thank you all for your help. :D i'll be sure to share the final results with you. Peace. -Apryl