3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Stuck. Calling out the reinforcements... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/210037-stuck-calling-out-reinforcements.html)

ubergirl 08-15-2010 11:02 AM

Stuck. Calling out the reinforcements...

Chickie Buddies.

Uber needs a good kick in the butt....

Quick rundown. I spent all of July being UBER good. I sped down to the low 90s and I got really excited. The homestretch in sight. It was very hot and so I really ratcheted down my calories. But I didn't lose any more, I stuck.

Now, the last couple of weeks I am juggling a super duper lot on my plate-- I'm trying to finish a huge and really important project, changing jobs, moving my entire family to a new city-- all simultaneously.

I've also been on vacation and eaten several restaurant meals, and needed to switch up my normal eating patterns. No binging or major off-plan mistakes, but more estimating calories than I usually do.

Also, I have cut back on my workouts-- I've normally averaged 5 a week, and lately it's been three.

The scale is bouncing 1-2 pounds above my lowest weight.

I am REALLY worried about losing focus. I have so many things distracting me that it's harder to focus, and for the first time since I started, over a year ago, I sometimes have these fleeting thoughts that any day now "something will happen" and my entire new way of life will fall apart.

And I can see why-- moving to a new city, taking a new job, even working a very different schedule than the one I'm on now. I don't know how all that will play out. How will I fit in my workouts? Etc. etc.

On the bright side-- my eating habits are now so entrenched that I really do prefer them-- I LIKE the food I eat and I have had ZERO attraction to going back to the kinds of foods I used to eat....

I've been working on this for fifteen months, and I have stalled out a few times before, so I think I can make it through. But I am worried about tearing apart the routine that has been working for me, and I'm especially worried as each time I have a long stall, I have a tendency to sort of lose focus.

mthrgoos68 08-15-2010 11:59 AM

You are doing great, and have come so far! You are no longer the same person that you were 100 pounds ago, because you have developed healthier habits and prefer to make healthier choices.

Maintaining is even harder than losing. Maybe you should try maintaining through all these changes going on in your life. Just focus and your new lifestyle, take care of all the craziness going on, and then, in a month or two, kick it into high gear again and take off that last 15 pounds.

You can get through this, and you have learned a lot during your journey! Keep up the great work!!

saef 08-15-2010 12:17 PM

Articulating these worries here is the first step.

The next step is putting a plan into place. You look at yourself in the mirror (or start writing in a notebook) and say: "Uber, you're in a transitional period. You may not be able to give it your utmost for a little while. Which doesn't mean you will not be back out there, giving it all you've got, within four weeks [or whatever]. For the next XX weeks, at minimum, you will eat healthily & on plan. You will exercise when possible."

So that acknowledges you're in a transition. But it also sets limits for the transition. So you don't think it's an endless state of flux & chaos, the opposite of the order you've created. It's just something to get through. With an ending in sight.

Then there's more. The other part is this:

"Uber, you will also make some forward-looking plans for your new life. You will try to rough out a new routine. You will research gyms & fitness classes & running routes & etc. at your new home. You will commit to the future by signing up for something."

I say, the way to cope with change is to embrace change. And that is, not by trying to preserve & defend an old routine, down to every last stone of its structure & to carry it over perfectly intact, but to figure out something new you're going to be doing in your new life. Something that revives your interest & excitement. Maybe Crossfit at your new home. Or access to a pool. Or new classes at the Y. I don't know what the resources are. You may not, either. Just something like that.

Notice I am not saying drop what you're doing, even for a short time. I'm saying do what you can -- for a set time -- and then commit to going further & mixing it up. Consider yourself as moving to the next stage in self-care, in healthy habits, not just in the job & home.

Otherwise you may feel outmoded & constricted to old ways that don't quite fit, now that everything else in your life has changed.

SeaWave 08-15-2010 04:07 PM

What works for me when things get overwhelming is to break them down. You're already doing at least three major wide-ranging projects (finish project, organizing move, new job), but these will at some point be done. Perhaps for now you need to consider your meals and workouts day-to-day. Every evening, plan what you will eat tomorrow, and how you will be active tomorrow; that should allow you to maintain. You can tackle your last plateau once everything else falls into place. You've been so successful so far -- you KNOW you can do it! :D

dragonwoman64 08-15-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saef (Post 3437560)
I say, the way to cope with change is to embrace change. And that is, not by trying to preserve & defend an old routine, down to every last stone of its structure & to carry it over perfectly intact, but to figure out something new you're going to be doing in your new life. Something that revives your interest & excitement. Maybe Crossfit at your new home. Or access to a pool. Or new classes at the Y. I don't know what the resources are. You may not, either. Just something like that.

I liked that.

Uber, you've embraced so much and tackled so much and ACCOMPLISHED so much, just jumped in and turned around your life, WOW. I think you'll be able to do that with all the new changes you're facing too. You might have to swim around a bit and tinker to find a new routine that fits, but you'll get there. I still think about that post a little while back about the new dress, hair style and makeup. Wonderful!

caryesings 08-15-2010 07:37 PM

Maybe it's something about the 100 lb. mark. I'm stuck now too <sigh>.

ubergirl 08-15-2010 09:18 PM

Thanks for "weighing in" (my favorite 3FC related expression)

I am a little scared, but I am also really too busy to be too scared. I can't wait to hand in the very last bits of this ENORMOUS PROJECT and at least be able to focus on the move.

I HATE skipping workouts, but right now, I HAVE to prioritize other things.

Goddess Jessica 08-15-2010 09:35 PM

Absolutely re-prioritize.

But I sense you feel that things are spinning out of focus -- hence, your fear that you won't be able to refocus when the time comes.

I think you need to set goals on what you want to accomplish in a week, in a month, and after this project is over. Set mini-goals that will keep you focused until you can devote more time. That way you're never off track and have to get back ON track.

renstwin 08-16-2010 08:46 AM

You sound like you are under a lot of stress. Moving alone is stressful enough, but also having some sort of huge project to do at the same time would make me head right for the fridge.

Congratulations on your maintenance so far. Perhaps your body needs a break during this transition. Just take it a day at a time, and soon you will have a new schedule that you can plan out that will work for you.

Best wishes to you! :)

ubergirl 08-16-2010 11:41 AM

Thanks everybody.

Am feeling a little better since the scale finally moved, a little, and also because I'm actually DONE with the big project.

Now, I can focus on the move. Stressful-- yes, but exciting too.

envelope 08-16-2010 02:55 PM

Congratulations on completing the project! I have always thought of moving as exciting too.

SeaWave 08-16-2010 05:18 PM

Uber - :congrat: on finishing that big project, and moving the scale too - you multitasker you!

Caryesings - maybe the 'stall' is meant for you to give yourself a pat on the back in recognition of just how much you've accomplished! :woohoo: Seems like reaching the 100 lb mark deserves at least that! Then you can move forward...