3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Which is the best way??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/208896-best-way.html)

gerbies 08-02-2010 04:35 PM

Which is the best way???

In July, I began putting a few more controls on my eating/exercise. I brought my calories per day to around 1900 (some days higher) based on the burn noted on my BodyBugg (generally 2900-3400 calories per day). I, have, of course had my "off days" for parties and such. I also began a new exercise program called Chalean Extreme, which is very weights-centric. The program is 3 days of only weight training, 2 days of weight-training and aerobic intervals (with one of the 2 interval days also with some light yoga). After July, I only lost like 4 lbs. I know that 4 lbs. is 4 lbs, but that's not much for someone my size. Because I'm comfortable with the calorie amount, I think it's the exercise. Perhaps this type of workout program is more for someone who is within 20 lbs of their goal weight where a few lbs make a bigger difference. I do not want to swing to the opposite side of the spectrum and not do weights, as I know they are unbelievably important in building muscle, which will contribute to increased calorie burn in the future, as well as help with my body shape as I lose weight.

What's the right balance? I know I need to do something different in order to lose weight at the pace that I think is more realistic at my current weight.

Thoughts?

matt_H 08-02-2010 04:41 PM

Don't give up on the lifting weights. It is so hard to not think about the scale, but right now you have to focus on how you feel and your overall health.

You are gaining muscle and your body is retaining water to heal muscles that are building. The scale is reflecting that. Your 4 pounds of weight loss is so much more than that.

If you need positive reinforcement, try using a tape measure as a sign of progress or use one of the scales that measures fat percentage. I bet you are losing inches and your percentage of body fat has gone down.

lookin2lose 08-02-2010 04:52 PM

I did Chalean Extreme as well...I was 238lbs the day I started the routine. For whatever reason it really slowed down my weightloss the first month too. Then I realized that it's only the minimum exercise and you should really do more to get your heart rate up for a longer period of time. I started losing more weight when I included walking or other cardio into the workout as well. I would usually do the video in the mornings with about 30 minutes of walking afterwards and then I would either walk the dog that evening or walk on the treadmill.

I only finished the first 2 phases and ended up burning out (Spring arrived). I still didn't feel like I was getting enough...I don't know if I didn't have enough weights or If it was geared toward someone that didn't have but the last 20lbs like you said. But, for now...try doing other things especially on those weight days like walking. I'll start my CE back up when the winter months arrive...for now it's nice enough that I can get my workout in without feeling like it's a workout!

Alana in Canada 08-02-2010 04:52 PM

Matt's right.

I can't really tell you to be patient, though, since in your shoes I would write the exact same thing!

Truly, though it sounds to me like you have a sensible plan that's working. Congrats!

rockinrobin 08-02-2010 06:59 PM

Okay, you asked for thoughts, so I'm gonna give you mine, though you might not like them....

Quote:

I, have, of course had my "off days" for parties
Quote:

I brought my calories per day to around 1900 (some days higher)
Quote:

Because I'm comfortable with the calorie amount, I think it's the exercise.
Hmmm, I think I may have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I don't believe the issue is your exercise and/or calories burned. I think it's the calories that you're taking in. So they you may be comfortable with the calorie count, I don't think you're providing enough of a calorie deficit day in and day out, on a steady basis to get you that pace that you are after.

You can't have it both ways. You can't go higher on your calories and indulge at parties AND expect to have steady weight loss results or more than those 4 lbs which you lost in July. It just can't be.

All the exercise in the world can't negate too many calories being consumed.

In fact a very commonly thrown around statistic is that weight loss is 80% diet (food) & only 20% exercise.

I can point you in the direction to LOTS of folks around here who adhere to their calorie budget regardless of stress, parties, holidays, picnics, Saturdays, joy, boredom, sadness, etc.

Of course we all have slip ups, but they really need to be far and few between and minimal, again, if its' that steady, consistent weight loss (pace) you're after.

Quote:

I know I need to do something different in order to lose weight at the pace that I think is more realistic at my current weight.
I think the something different is to learn how to navigate parties, holidays, stress, etc, WHILE staying WITHIN your calorie range - IF it's steady results that you're after.

You're working hard already - why not kick it up a notch - and transform your life???

gerbies 08-02-2010 08:22 PM

Thank you for everyone's feedback. I will be adding in more cardio for sure.

RockinRobin - Thank you for your frank feedback. Interestingly, though I've had some "splurges" at parties, I've tracked EVERYTHING I've eaten. Though I'm sure I could be off here and there and made best guesses in terms of portions, my outings have not been frequent. I have tracked every bite from every day in the month of July. Even on days when I've gone up to 2200 calories, my daily burn, per my BodyBugg was in excess of 3,000 calories. Therefore, my deficit over the course of a week should have yielded 2-3 lbs a week and it has not. Perhaps it's the water weight gain from the weights, but I've truly been honest about what I've eaten (even if it was a higher calorie day); it's all been tracked.

Thank you again for your amazing feedback!

rockinrobin 08-02-2010 08:55 PM

I'm sure there's a GOOD chance that not only were your portions most likely off, but probably the calorie contents as a whole in general. With veggies and even the proteins, if you're a bit off, it's not awful - but if you're off with higher calorie foods, well yeah, that could be problematic. I think you would be shocked to find out the amount of calories hidden in *off* plan foods.

Which is why I stayed away from them during the time I was losing - I wasn't taking any chances!

Another thing - I urge you to not look at all those *calculators* and yes, even your body bugg - they are guesstimates at best and can really mess with your weight loss.

Even one day off can wipe out any deficit you've created the other 6 days of the week. It doesn't take much of an overage to do so. Again, we really have to disregard those calculators.

I didn't/don't even bother tracking my calories burned (as it's next to impossible to do so with any accuracy) - it's the calories coming in that really, really matters. Track those like the dickens, making sure your portions and measurements are spot on and that every bite, lick, taste, crumb and sip is taken into account.

Again, if you're looking for the faster pace, I think you have to assess your data and come to your own conclusions, despite what this tells you and what that tells you.Our bodies keep an accurate journal, even when we don't and think that we are. We are all experiments of one, all unique...