3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Question about clothing stores (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/20889-question-about-clothing-stores.html)

Jinkies 10-10-2002 11:50 AM

Question about clothing stores

Hi, everyone. I'm looking for some nice business/casual stuff--blazers, long skirts, twin sets, etc. but I don't have time to order from a catalog. (I need them by early next week). I love Eddie Bauer stuff but their women's sizes aren't in the stores. I just went to Lane Bryant and found a couple of things but I'm still looking.

Does anyone know if Nordstrums carries plus sizes? I'll be checking Sears and JC Penney's too. I'm using a credit card so if I need to splurge, I'll splurge. Thanks so much for any input!!

muelledk 10-10-2002 11:53 AM

I have never been very impressed with Nordstom's selection of plus sized clothing. I think that they usually have very slim pickings. I personally, like the selection at Robinson's May (Famouss-Barr) and Dillards.

Good luck.

HotFlash 10-10-2002 01:21 PM

Do you live near a Kohl's department store? They have some nice selections, reasonably priced..and when they have a sale they have a SALE.

Barb

AngiKL 10-10-2002 01:31 PM

I love Kohl's too and am wearing a pretty shirt I got for $2.25 last week. (I got one in every color!)

Angi

Jenniffer 10-10-2002 01:41 PM

I am hating the clothing industry right now. So I can't help. Only store who does me good is Lane Bryant and their prices have gone up. $80.00 for a pair jeans. Yeah sure.

Good luck

snowball1 10-10-2002 02:41 PM

$80.00 for a pair of jeans!!!! :eek: :eek: I can't believe Lane Bryant would raise their prices THAT much!!! I used to really like that store, but they started disappointing me a year or so ago, so I haven't been there in a while.

I like Kohl's, Target (they have a great plus-size section), & JC Penneys.

Good luck on your shopping spree! :)

SuchAPrettyFace 10-10-2002 03:43 PM

OMG

Lane Bryant can bite me. They used to carry a nicer quality of clothing, but now their stuff falls apart too quickly. Also, I applied for a job there once, and during the interview I think I said the f word (fat) and I could tell by the look on the manager's face that was a big deal to her, so I didn't get called back. Yet they hired a size 6 beeyotch to be their asst manager. ANYHOO...

I got a sweater & 2 bras @ Kohl's last weekend for $55.

JCPenney's has nicer things, too. Forget St John's Bay, go for Alfred Dunner, etc (I used to work at Penney's, their 40% clothing discount was the best part of that job)

And believe it or not, I've found a few nice "work clothes" at Kmart in the last year--Jaclyn Smith.

Sandi 10-10-2002 04:36 PM

You might want to also look at Fashion Bug. Out here we have Avenue which has awesome clothes. I used to have to shop at Catherines, because they were the only ones to carry 4X. Now I can shop avenue. Soon, I'll be a small 3x and I'll be able to shop anywhere where they have a plus size!! YAhhhh!

I was glad to hear you guys mention that you have been disappointed by Lane Bryant. I went there recently and didn't like a thing!! I haven't been there in years!!!

Jinkies 10-10-2002 05:07 PM

Thanks for the ideas

Kohl's sounds like a great store unfortunately we don't even have one in the state. I forgot about Target--I'll check them out and K-Mart too. K-Mart surprises me lately. I've bought kids clothes there before but I never really thought about them for plus size stuff. I bought some exercise shorts over the summer that have held up really well and they were only about $7. I'll definitely check them out and see what they have for more business kind of clothes.

Lane Bryant has been so-so for me. Some of their stuff is too trendy for me. Plus, I look better with my "pooch" stomach covered and it seems like a lot of their shirts are too short for me to feel that they flatter me. I think it's great that for those who want fun clothes, but LB is so expensive I'd rather get a few nice classic pieces. Actually, I'd rather to to not have to shop at LB at all, but right now it's one of the few places I can. Sigh.

Thanks again. I really dread--no HATE--shopping for clothes. It's usually depressing for me. I've already informed my husband that when I do reach goal weight, I'm going on a shopping spree. I'm going to buy things I love, not just things that fit and I just sort of like them.

Jennelle 10-10-2002 06:54 PM

I don't shop at Lane Bryant either because they're TOO expensive! I also have found some really cute clothes at K-Mart...right now I'm in a size 18, and they have a good selection. JC Penney's is okay, but you really have to search for your size sometimes. I don't like the women's selection at Sears AT ALL! The clothes look like something my grandmother wouldn't even have worn!

AngiKL 10-10-2002 09:38 PM

Speaking of Lane Bryant, I got on their catalog list since I kind of like the store (except it IS getting a little YOUNG and HIP for these hips!) So, I got the catalog and it has mostly mu-mus and tent dresses and polyester pants (not the new, cool kind). I was so confused I looked at the front again to see if it was Lane Bryant, and that's what it said. Nothing at all like the store. It was the other extreme. Anyone ever seen that catalog to know what I'm talking about?

Angi

Daners 12-15-2002 04:27 PM

I know this was from a while ago, but I thought I would mention my favorite shop--CJ Banks. It's a sister store of Christopher & Banks (Brauns). They have lots of comfy, casual, semi-dressy stuff. Prices are high, but the markdowns happen soon after arrival and frequently.

Von Maur also has a wonderful women's department, but mostly higher end stuff. Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, and Emme's new line (got one of her $99 skirts for $10 last week). They do have lots of quality basics too, and a fantastic return policy--any time, any reason. They really stand behind the products they sell.

I too have been sadly disappointed with Lane Bryant in the past couple of years. Not only has the quality suffered, but the clothes are more trendy, and not really work wear. They have changed the way they make their jeans, I thought it was just me, but I was in buying bras the other day and heard someone else complaining. And the prices did jump quite a bit, which makes me feel not so bad for buying all my Tommy jeans. They're comfy and they fit and cost about what the LB ones do now.

If you're a catalog shopper Lands End & LL Bean also have womens sizes and at least Lands End and maybe Bean hem to your specifications. :)

missaprylj 12-15-2002 11:22 PM

Not that there's anything wrong with looking young and hip... I happen to like Lane Bryant. $80? WHOA! Where do you live? Jeans here are like, 30 bucks, and I haven't had a pair wear out yet. (I've had a few pairs for over a year, and they're juuuust starting to wear.)
Kohl's and Target are great too, though. Peace! -Apryl

MzPen 12-16-2002 09:25 AM

I have found that most of the bigger stores around here now carry plus sizes ... I find a decent selection at Cato's. The one plus size store at our mall is, I think, The Avenue?? They have some nice things. But I don't have a lot to spend on clothes and often get things off the sale rack at Walmart. I'm fortunate that I can now sometimes get into XL stuff ...

Has anyone else noticed in the past few years that they seem to be making shirts consistently shorter? Do you think perhaps it's a scheme to use less fabric?? I typically need something to camoflage my saddlebags without looking like a tent, but most shirts that you can wear untucked fall just ABOVE the saddlebags! Yuck!!

Pen
265/217/150ish

SuchAPrettyFace 12-16-2002 02:32 PM

Angi: YES!!!! The Lane Bryant catalog is a different entity than the Lane Bryant store. Although you can purchase things from both on your Lane Bryant credit card (figure that one out), if you have a gift certificate from one, you can't use @ at the other. My Aunt Patty found that out the hard way one Christmas.

I like the Lane Bryant catalog for things like shoes, unique sweaters, etc. They are also great for basics like leggings & plain t shirts (some I still have 5 years later!). Their sister catalog, Roamans http://www.roamans.com/roamans/layout/layout.asp? has nice things, too.

I will say this, though. My $60 swimsuit, the one I thought would get me through at least a few years of water aerobics @ the Y?? ALMOST DISINTEGRATED after 6 times of wearing it in chlorinated water. I got a much nicer suit @ Wal Mart for $15 on clearance!

The other place I like for clothes is Newport News. http://www.newport-news.com/?cmafil=q401ls They used to be Avon Fashions but changed their name about 10 years ago. Which reminds me, I've gotten cute things from the Avon catalog, too. A nice housecoat, some workout wear, a gorgeous flirty fun dress.

Jessica London--I like the clothes, but I made a vow never to own anything that was DRY CLEAN ONLY ever again, and that is mostly what they have.

Mzpen: YES, and I hate it!!! I have this beer gut I'm trying to whittle away, and the clothing manufacturers are not very understanding. LOL.

Also, I think I would eat worms before I paid more than $25 for a pair of jeans.