3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   When did the fashion industry start hating the hour glass? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/208752-when-did-fashion-industry-start-hating-hour-glass.html)

Eliana 08-01-2010 01:20 PM

When did the fashion industry start hating the hour glass?

It used to be the hour glass figure was sought after and desired. These days, the little boy figure is sought after. Or at least designers would have you think so.

I am more and more disgruntled with finding pants. This new "modern fit" is insane and it's everywhere. Yes, I know I can go online and shop for my pants, but you know...I'd like to try them on!

I used to think my problem was that I was fat and that suddenly shopping would become easier as I slimmed down. I'm now wearing a size 10 (depending on the store of course). I thought 10's would be the miracle size. But no...I still have hips. Oh, and I have breasts too! Can you imagine? And you know what else? I like my hips and breasts!

I suppose I could always fit the pants to my hips/thighs and then take in the waist, but gosh that gets expensive.

Rant over. :^:

calluna 08-01-2010 01:23 PM

You make me laugh...I was thanking my lucky stars that fashion has changed to lower waistlines, as I have never been anything resembling an hourglass and for once I don't have either a super-tight waist or a really baggy butt and hips on my jeans. It's never easy, is it? I wonder if there is something morally reprehensible about accommodating more than one type of figure in the stores.

Eliana 08-01-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calluna (Post 3414938)
? I wonder if there is something morally reprehensible about accommodating more than one type of figure in the stores.

I know! Lands End does, but only online. They three different fits (modern, classic and something else) but they only carry modern in the store. :rolleyes:

Windchime 08-01-2010 01:42 PM

My gripe is the boot-cut that is supposed to balance out our figures. (I'm an hour-glass, too). All the boot-cuts say "fitted through hip and thigh". Serious? I wear a 14 or 16. Do you really think I want my pants tight around my big thighs? Really?

Daimere 08-01-2010 01:49 PM

I always thought I was weird cause I love my wider hips. I think it's more womanly. I was reading one weight loss book that was like, "most people want no butt, hips, huge boobs, etc" and I was like...not me.

Eliana 08-01-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daimere (Post 3414982)
I always thought I was weird cause I love my wider hips. I think it's more womanly. I was reading one weight loss book that was like, "most people want no butt, hips, huge boobs, etc" and I was like...not me.

Honestly, I've grown to like my hips and boobs. I did not like them as a healthy teenager. But I feel that is the message we send to young women. The optimal body shape is that of a little boy. The fact is...there is no optimal body shape. That's the joy of being a woman! We come in all different shapes, sizes and heights.

It's like finding shells on the seashore. How special would the be if they were all exactly the same?

caryesings 08-01-2010 02:29 PM

The thing I find amusing about the boot cut is the argument that it's a better look to balance fuller hips and thighs. But every time this is demonstrated on a TV program or magazine article to me it just makes the hips and thighs appear worse to me because now they are the only fitted part of the bottom half. I've gotten very good at redesigning this style to straight leg on the transitional jeans I've been buying at the Goodwill store.

Windchime 08-01-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caryesings (Post 3415051)
The thing I find amusing about the boot cut is the argument that it's a better look to balance fuller hips and thighs. But every time this is demonstrated on a TV program or magazine article to me it just makes the hips and thighs appear worse to me because now they are the only fitted part of the bottom half. I've gotten very good at redesigning this style to straight leg on the transitional jeans I've been buying at the Goodwill store.

I'd love to know your secret! Do you just take them in below the knees? I really like straight jeans--or I like them theoretically, because I can never find them. Everything that says "straight" (in my geographic area), is in reality tapered. I don't like that look either....wide at the hips and thighs, then cut close around the ankles so my big feet stick out. Yuck! LOL. I would pay money for nice jeans that fit well IF I could find them!

Elladorine 08-01-2010 02:48 PM

I have no butt. :lol:

It's impossible to find jeans that fit me properly. I find a pair that fits around my stomach, and the butt and the upper half of my legs are extremely, horrendously baggy. If I were to find jeans that fit my legs and butt normally, there's no way the waist will go around me properly.

I guess it's the curse of being an apple. :p

lolcat 08-01-2010 02:59 PM

That's really a bummer.... I am looking forward to shopping when I reach goal, but small or large, I'm an hourglass with some junk in the trunk. I hate shopping online too. Maybe when I hit goal they will have gotten the message and started making clothes for real people..... I can hope!
Also, have you noticed the lack of "hourglass" on the sites that plot your body type? It's all "apple" or "pear"..... sorry, people, we hourglasses are out here. At least the Jillian Michaels site recognizes that!

SilverLife 08-01-2010 03:08 PM

The first anti-hourglass fashion mode that I know of was in the 1920's with the flapper era.

The next one I can think of just now, was the mid-1960s. Remember Twiggy?

Womanly curves are wonderful. You have to wonder about men who like women who don't look womanly.

The people who "dictate fashion" do not have the best interests of anyone but themselves in mind. And they are, certainly, not pro-woman.

Windchime 08-01-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverLife (Post 3415095)
Womanly curves are wonderful. You have to wonder about men who like women who don't look womanly.

Oh, I don't know if I'd go that far! There are plenty of manly men who like a slim-hipped, athletic girl. Just as there are plenty of manly men who like a pinup-girl figure, and plenty who prefer a plump, full figure. It's just a matter of taste, and I don't think it says anything about a man's masculinity.

ChunkyDunk78 08-01-2010 04:01 PM

Clothing designers also apparently think every plus size person is pear shaped. Even though I am obese, I still have an hourglass figure (a gigantic one, but still that same shape). It annoys me when I am purchasing dresses, matching bra and panties, bathing suits, etc... The top is always way too tight (my boobs don't fit!) Ugh.

Justwant2Bhealthy 08-01-2010 04:41 PM

OH, this is a big peeve of mine -- yes, it is now a "hunting" expedition to find clothes that fit these days ... and I will not wear the new style of cut--off at the hip pants they have out there today; and they are even taking over the PJ's now. :dizzy: And, don't get me started on the colors ... bleck!

Personally, all I see these days is our young girls and young ladies with their butts and bellies hanging out over their pants -- and it DOES NOT LOOK ATTRACTIVE ... well, to me anyways; but it does to the guys, I guess. ;)

Was in a hardware store recently, and a young lady bent over to look at something and no kidding ... her butt popped out of her pants -- and this man and his family were walking by and you should have seen the look of "shock" on his face (it expressed my thoughts exactly). The wife :rolleyes: and kiddies just kept on walking ... :rolleyes:

Same thing happened to a girl when she leaned to open a store door -- out popped the butt -- right in our faces; and the shocked man behind her "gasped" and said, "Whoah, you better hang on to your pants, little girl" or something close to that.

And I do, and will question a fashion industry that designs clothes that make our girls look like vamps and/or little boys -- what is that? Well, they are the big losers in the end, becuz of the millions of women who won't be spending their millions of $$$ on their clothes ... this is the best kind of protest -- walk with your $$$! :D

Matilda08 08-01-2010 04:48 PM

I know what you mean, Im a curvy gal myself and its always hard to find pants that fit right. I too love my curves wouldnt trade them for the world!! I dont know I hope as I lose it gets a tad bit better because I love nice jeans lol