Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 09:03 AM   #46  

Lanie -- two suggestions that might help:

Grocery shopping: believe me, I know how it is with a busy lifestyle like yours, but make a shopping list and stick to it! If your son's with you and pesters you to buy something unhealthy, tell him it's not on the list and will NOT go into the cart. One timesaver for lists is to make yourself a rotating menu for 2-3 weeks so you'll generally be buying the same things every other week or so -- and keep a list on the fridge for those things that run out from time to time.

Exercise: take advantage of your PT to talk about the benefits of lifting weights and how you might be able to incorporate some simple exercises into your schedule, once you're able. Talk to him/her about how you'd like to get in better shape, beyond the work on your injury, and perhaps he/she can give you some ideas -- Even 30 minutes 3x a week can really improve your energy level. (your son's getting old enough to start lifting weights, too, I believe!)

Pen
Old 10-16-2002, 11:12 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 308/238/164

Height: 5'5.5"

Unhappy disappointed!

I over slept (got up at 5:15am) and wasn't able to get my weight lifting in this morning! I was so bummed. I'll do it when I get home, but I was really starting to get into the early morning routine. There's always tomorrow.....

Sandi, where's your early morning exercise post?
Old 10-16-2002, 11:43 AM   #48  

Y'all seem to be doing great lately!
Dana the cupcake idea was great. Talk about portion control.
Sandi glad to hear that the root canal isn't so bad. I've never had to have one (knock on wood).
Lanie, Pen is right. Make a list and STICK to it.

I'm doing pretty good today. I actually had a long talk with the neighbors last night (first time in 2 years that we have lived here). I think that we could get along pretty well if only we take the time to talk. I usually just see them leaving for work or coming home (I'm outside all of the time, and they are never out).
I've got a pretty busy couple of weeks coming up and I'm not too sure how often I'll be loggin on. Probably not at all after Friday until right before Halloween, just in time to throw a big Halloween party. I'm going to go to my parents house in St. Louis for a week. I'm throwing a bridal shower for my best friend and taking care of some final preparations for her wedding in November. I'm very anxious to see how big that dress is when I get fitted! I've lost about 35 pounds since I ordered it. Well, I've got tons to do still have to write two papers for class on Saturday and finish putting together 25 party favors for the shower. So I better get cracking.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:48 PM   #49  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Talking BUSTED!!!

Well, I didn't exercise this morning. I would give you my "very good" excuse, but I know that we are no longer acdepting those here!!

Tomorrow I am going to the covered bridge festival, so that will be several miles. I'll be back on Mornings on Friday. NO MATTER WHAT!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 02:19 PM   #50  

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome I've received. I am so glad I found this website. Y'all are wonderful. Also, thank you for the great advice. I am definitely going to start my grocery list today and stick with it when I go shopping. I have always been bad about food planning. Besides exercise, that's one of things I don't always do. It doesn't take much for me to avoid the food planning and just go day by day. In alot of the groups and chatrooms I've been in, that was one of the main things done, besides exercise, that helped people in the new healthy lifestyle change. So that is one of the first things I'm going to change. I am going to plan each week in advance and stick to it even if I'm too tired when I get home from work. I'm determined to make this work. Again, thanks everyone for you help, motivation, and inspiration.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:31 PM   #51  

Lanie, it IS hard, especially when your working most of the time, a single mother (you are, right?) -- all that stuff that does make you tired all the time! (a little exercise can help with that, it's just finding a LITTLE bit of time and getting started!!)

Small changes, a little bit at a time! Best wishes ...

Pen
Old 10-16-2002, 02:40 PM   #52  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I need some time to do food prep. Buying healthy foods doesn't help if I can't make the time to fix them.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:29 PM   #53  

That's right MzPen. I am a single mother. I get up every morning at 5 a.m. Have to leave the house by 6 a.m. to be at work at 7 a.m. I commute to work 42 miles each way. I'm suppose to get off from work at 4 p.m., but it's usually between 4:30 and 5 p.m. The drive home takes longer due to traffic. So I'm usually home between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. As soon as I get home, I start on supper. By the way, did I tell you I hate to cook. Sometimes it's just easy to get fast food or pizza delivery, but I'm getting away from that. No more for me. I will treat us once a month only. So it looks like the best time for me to exercise is between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. Now if I can just get my son to let me have that time to exercise or get him to join in, I will be doing good. I also have to stay away from the kitchen in the evening. That is another downfall of mine. I'm fine during the day. I'm too busy at work to snack. So that's a good thing. Well, this is a day in the life of Lainie.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:15 PM   #54  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I salute all the single moms out there.. how do you do it? you are all amazing!!!

Dana
Old 10-16-2002, 11:29 PM   #55  

Hey, Dana - how's the job going?
Old 10-16-2002, 11:53 PM   #56  
Catwoman

Since having my baby I have complete respect for single mums, twice the work and yet they get so much flack sometimes. Sorry to hear about your car accident Lainein, hope your feeling better soon.
Ive been keep my eating plan this week but havnt been exersizing enough, so much harder when the weathers colder.

Kitty
Old 10-17-2002, 09:42 AM   #57  

Got up and walked 2 miles this morning. I ended up getting so depressed yesterday, and I believe that part of it had to do w/ the fact that I over slept yesterday, and wasn't able to lift in the morning. I didn't do it when I got home either. Which got me even more depressed, so I ate, like there was no tomorrow, and got even more depressed. It was such a terrible cycle...... But I'm back on track as of this morning.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:20 AM   #58  

Good for you Dyan for not getting trapped into the no-exercise-overeating cycle. That is a nasty one to get in. I am glad that you were aboe to get up this morning. You have more dedication than I, I probably would have just said forget it after sleeping in one day!
Old 10-17-2002, 09:06 PM   #59  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Hi all. Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth this past week. It has not been a good week. Monday was Thanksgiving here in Canada and it really threw my whole week off. Tuesday I decided that I had to rearrange the furniture so that took most of the day, Wednesday the baby and I were sick plus the dh decided to have a fit on me and today I was back at work only I had to leave early to pick up the baby at daycare because the dh's truck broke down on the way home. so the house is still a mess and freezing because I finally went to turn the furnace on and guess what? it didn't want to start. I spent about 45 minutes on the phone this am trying to arrange for someone to come and look at it. Someone is coming tomorrow, meanwhile I got the fireplace blazing and it has warmed the place up a few degrees, it's up to 62 now. The baby is wearing his pj's, socks and a blanket sleeper with 2 blankets on and the vaporizer is going. I hope he stays warm enough with all that. I don't even want to go into all the sh!t that the dh put me through yesterday, I just can't believe his attitude sometimes. Somedays I wish I was a single mother, basically I feel like it now but I have to put up with his attitude as well.

Anyway tomorrow is another day...
Old 10-18-2002, 09:31 AM   #60  

Sorry to hear about your week Jen. I wasn't having a good one myself.

Denise: I couldn't wait for a new day, so that I could start over! I want this weight off, and for the most part am willing to do whatever it takes. As you can tell, I slipped up, but I jumped back on the wagon the very next day. I think I'm getting to the point, where I don't want to give up after a bad day. I just get more determined. Don't know if that's good or bad (bad in the since that I really do beat my self up that day).

Got up at 4:30am and lifted. I am in much better spirits today than I was yesterday.
Closed Thread