3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   How I've Lost 50 lbs in 5 months (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/208554-how-ive-lost-50-lbs-5-months.html)

Jen415 07-30-2010 12:44 AM

How I've Lost 50 lbs in 5 months

(I posted this on my Facebook page too)
I've had quite a few people ask me how I've been able to lose 50 lbs in five months (and a total of 63 lbs from my highest weight).

I've not had any surgeries, nor am I taking any magic pills, powders or potions. I'm not following a commercial diet plan, nor am I counting calories.

I am doing it....one day at a time.

My food plan is pretty simple: I do not eat sugar, flour or wheat. I weigh and measure the food I eat three times a day, plus one snack of fruit and yogurt or milk at night before bed. I avoid caffeine whenever possible. I eat only complex carbs from unprocessed sources like steel cut oats, brown rice, potatoes, quinoa, sweet potatoes, etc. I read every label to make sure the items I eat do not have hidden sugars (you won't believe some of the stuff that has it!!). I don't do this plan perfectly every day, but I give it my best.

I realized five months ago that my problem is not just physical, but spiritual as well. For a long time I thought I didn't need God in my life and thought I could do just fine without Him. Through the help of a 12 step program, I discovered that I am addicted to food and to compulsive overeating. I won't go into details here, but suffice it to say, I definitely have a problem. It is no different than an alcoholic or drug addict--just the substance is different. And the fact that you have to "walk the beast three times a day", unlike knowing to not drink alcohol.

So, with the help of a clean plan of eating, daily prayer and meditation, and attending meetings, I am finding a way to deal with my addiction. One of the most important things I have learned is that without working on the spiritual part of my addiction, my food plan is just another diet.

I am grateful to God for giving me five months of recovery from my food addiction. It is not easy, but it is so worth it!

If you want more details about what I do, feel free to write me privately.

Matilda08 07-30-2010 12:50 AM

congrats wtg!!!

Quail 07-30-2010 01:57 AM

Congratulations on your loss and finding something that works so well for you.

asharksrevenge 07-30-2010 02:01 AM

Congratulations on your weight loss! Good job on working so hard! Your story is so inspiring!

jetperson 07-30-2010 04:11 AM

Great post Jen. Thanks so much. I've personally found that losing weight is a three pronged approach for me. It's gotta have the three components of flexing my spiritual muscles in Christ through prayer, watching my food intake and portions, and exercising. It just plain doesn't work for me any other way. I've tried just diet & exercise but I was spinning my wheels. I absolutely realize everyone has their thing, but for those who are so inclined - having those 3 components is definitely something to consider.

rockinrobin 07-30-2010 05:51 AM

I was actually thinking of you the other day and wondering how your no sugar/flour commitment was going - and I now see - it's going quite well. Quite well!! I am so happy for you.

I think you will find as your journey progresses a whole new world opening up to you. It is a wonderful time of self discovery and growth.

I look forward to hearing of your continued progress. :)

Liliann 07-30-2010 11:13 AM

:bravo: Thank you for sharing your news...It gives me hope and keep up the great work!! :)

time2lose 07-30-2010 11:19 AM

Congratulations!

GirlyGirlSebas 07-30-2010 11:26 AM

Congratulations, Jen! I've also finally come to the realization that I have a serious sugar addiction and that my progress with weight loss is directly reflective of my current spiritual connection with my God. I'm glad to hear that a 12 step program is going so well for you!

Sandi 07-30-2010 11:34 AM

Jen - we have been on these boards together a long time. I am so thrilled that you have found what works for you!!! Congratulations!! I am just so excited for you!!! :D

Jen415 07-31-2010 09:42 AM

Thank you, everyone! It feels so freeing to FINALLY find something that works after all these years of struggling. And it all started with admitting I was powerless over food. It's not easy--I struggle with the urge to eat compulsively every day. But I just use the tools I have now to cope with it.

Kismet89 07-31-2010 10:09 AM

Congratulations, how great to find something that works for you! This journey really does happen one day at a time.

rockinrobin 07-31-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

it all started with admitting I was powerless over food.
I don't know Jen, to me it doesn't sound like you're powerless at all. In fact it sounds like you've taken control, by taking matters into your own hands & recognizing the flour/sugar connection and doing something about it and taking steps to control it. Pretty darn empowering if you ask me!

:bravo::cp::cp::cp::bravo:

susiemartin 07-31-2010 10:31 AM

I'm so happy for you.

"It works if you work it." :hug:

Jen415 08-17-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 3413316)
I don't know Jen, to me it doesn't sound like you're powerless at all. In fact it sounds like you've taken control, by taking matters into your own hands & recognizing the flour/sugar connection and doing something about it and taking steps to control it. Pretty darn empowering if you ask me!

:bravo::cp::cp::cp::bravo:

Thanks, Robin.....but I have discovered that there is freedom in admitting powerlessness over my food addiction. The best part about it? GOD is way more powerful than my addiction! :)