3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Why can't I see it? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/207984-why-cant-i-see.html)

Scilla 07-23-2010 04:58 PM

Why can't I see it?

When I look in the mirror I almost always see what I looked like at 292lbs... It's insane.... Once in a while I'll see the slimmer me. I guess it's a mind set from seeing myself so big for that long? It's really noticeable cause I got bones now && I'm in way smaller size clothes. I'm just having an off day I guess. :?:

PinkHoodie 07-23-2010 05:00 PM

I think its normal. Especially if you have been overweight for years. You just get used to the reflection in the mirror. It also could be a mild case of body dysmorphic disorder, but I do think its pretty normal. I have the opposite problem, I can't ever see myself in the mirror for the size I REALLY am. I see myself as smaller, until I see myself in pictures. :P

audrina 07-23-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scilla (Post 3401003)
When I look in the mirror I almost always see what I looked like at 292lbs... It's insane.... Once in a while I'll see the slimmer me. I guess it's a mind set from seeing myself so big for that long? It's really noticeable cause I got bones now && I'm in way smaller size clothes. I'm just having an off day I guess. :?:

I'm this way too. But when I see pictures of me at my highest weight and then look at myself in the mirror - I see the difference.

I don't know if this has any truth but my friend told me two days ago it takes yourself about 6 months to adjust to a new body image...

TJFitnessDiva 07-23-2010 05:15 PM

It's totally normal....on my weird days I still can see myself at 286 in the mirror. When I get that way I look at my side-by-side before and after (or when I was losing it was a before & current pic)...it'll help!

Scilla 07-23-2010 05:25 PM

I've looked at pics of me when I weighed that much and said Ohh my.. gawd.. and pics of me now. And theres a huge difference. I guess I need to do a better job of reminding myself of those side by sides of pics when I look in the mirror.....

rockinrobin 07-23-2010 06:32 PM

Yeah, we all get days like that, especially early on. What I used to do? I grabbed an old skirt and tried it on. There was no mistaking it at that point - I had lost weight - and lots of it.

Quite the journey, isn't it???

Vladadog 07-23-2010 07:33 PM

I can see the difference between then and now but I can also see that I am still fat while before I *knew* I was fat but didn't really see it.

I think now I am about the fat I was "seeing" (in my mind but not with my eyes) before when I was 60 pounds fatter. That's a terrible sentence but I bet you guys know what I mean....

time2lose 07-23-2010 08:23 PM

Yep, me too. I have to look at pictures to see the difference. Even then it does not seem like such a big difference. I still see so much fat. However, if I stop and think, I remember how I FELT. That is where I can tell the big difference!

Shmead 07-23-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladadog (Post 3401196)
I can see the difference between then and now but I can also see that I am still fat while before I *knew* I was fat but didn't really see it.

I think now I am about the fat I was "seeing" (in my mind but not with my eyes) before when I was 60 pounds fatter. That's a terrible sentence but I bet you guys know what I mean....

This is me, too. I honest to god didn't look in a mirror or at a picture past about 180 lbs--I even averted my eyes from glass doors. So it wasn't until I got under that weight that things started to look better.

musestar 07-23-2010 09:38 PM

I do the same thing. I have to look at the progress pics I've taken so far and put them side by side to see a difference.

Scilla 07-23-2010 09:47 PM

I suppose what also makes me feel bad is that my husband is so skinny && I still see FAT. Ughhh.. I'm so extremely happy with what I've achieved so far. And yet I'm not.... I'm happily UNhappy.. haha

Onederchic 07-23-2010 09:49 PM

If you figure it out, please let me know. I still see 330 pounds most times when I am looking in a mirror.

doingmybest 07-24-2010 01:53 AM

I'm just looking forward to having an "after". Right now, I'm still at "before"!

No matter what all of you are seeing today, congratulations on your progress!

jennynyc77 07-24-2010 02:06 AM

I totally agree with you that the body and mind and mirror are sometimes totally not in sync. When I was 295 pounds, I never looked in the mirror and thought I was maybe too heavy. Now, 65 pounds lighter, I am horrified! I want to be much better. It's just processing and realizing how we really are and adjusting to it that's hard.

It might just take a while for your eyes to register that they're looking at a different person, because you are. You've become someone who cares about herself. When you see old you in the mirror, look again and see new you. It took a lot of work to get there. Stare til it IS real. You did that. Almost 100 pounds is amazing. Own it, girl. :)

jenlag 07-24-2010 02:12 AM

My best friend showed me a picture of something the other night on her iPhone. Well I started scrolling through the pictures and stopped on one of them. I thought well, she's been 'home' to Costa Rica like 4 times already this year, maybe that is someone from CR. Then after studying the picture more, I realized it had to be her other friend who I had met once before. But as I looked at the surrounding of the picture, I realized it was really familiar, the girl was ME! how could I not recognize myself??? That girl looked thin! I honest to God did not recognize myself.

I am way more critical of myself now than I was at 260 pounds! The fat now bothers me, it repulses and disgusts me, whereas before I didn't care. Everytime I go through my clothes and start getting rid of stuff that is just way too big, I always keep items thinking I can still wear it but then get it on and it floats and makes me look sloppy. I can't see me for who I really am now!! So yes I relate as well!