3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Snoring (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/207379-snoring.html)

hpnodat 07-17-2010 12:29 AM

Snoring

I have a problem with snoring, I've tried everything to stop it or reduce it. I've even had sinus surgery. I started sleeping in a separate room from my husband a few months ago because of it. He cant sleep and the constant nagging and him shaking me to keep me from snoring is what drove me out of the room.
People have told me to have a sleep study done. I went to my doctor and he has given me the referral for the sleep study but told me he truly believes that I will stop snoring if I lose a significant amount of weight.
I have snored or made other weird breathy sounds for as long as I can remember so I'm not so sure it's just from my weight because I haven't always been overweight.
I feel horrible from it. I'm quite sure I have sleep apnea, I have all the symptoms.
I just don't know what to do anymore about it. I feel so lonely not sleeping with my husband and I feel like it's driving us apart. I'm tired of sleeping in separate rooms.
Going to this sleep study is going to cost a small fortune and I don't know if it's really worth going to.

Is a cpap machine really going to help me to not snore?
Have any of you experienced these issues?

Onederchic 07-17-2010 12:42 AM

I use to do horrible snoring and had sleep apnea but since losing a significant amount of weight, my bf says I rarely snore anymore and when I do, it is not deafening as it once was and I don't stop breathing any longer.

renstwin 07-17-2010 09:57 AM

The issue with sleep apnea is not just snoring. It is the fact that if you have sleep apnea, you are actually not getting enough oxygen while you sleep.

If you truly feel that you may have sleep apnea, you should go to the sleep study, no matter the cost.

GirlyGirlSebas 07-20-2010 09:00 AM

I have the same problem. My husband slept in the guest room for months. I finally found a solution...ear plugs and a small fan! The ear plugs muffle the sound and the fan helps cover the rest. He now sleeps just fine beside me every night. But, I do hope the weight loss will help.

Eliana 07-20-2010 09:29 AM

Sleep apnea is scary, especially if you've ever listened to someone at night who has it. My husband stopped breathing frequently and I'd just lay there wondering when he'd catch the next breath. He'd just stop breathing for the longest 20-30 seconds of my life and then gasp for air. Sometimes I'd shake him to get him to breathe, but I also had to realize he was doing this whether I was aware of it or not. That's sleep apnea. :( It can also be a major cause of depression. He's lost about 45 pounds and no longer has any trouble. I stopped snoring about 15 pounds into the journey.

Lori Bell 07-20-2010 10:54 AM

You say that you have snored for as long as you can remember...I wonder why is it just now bothering your husbands sleep? Has it gotten worse?

I was never diagnosed with sleep apnea, but I would frequently wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air....then usually resulting in a panic attack. It sucked. I also smoked and drank (lots) of alcohol almost every evening. My snoring was better when I didn't drink, and after giving up cigarettes and alcohol it was MUCH better, and then after losing the first 50 pounds it pretty much stopped. Now, I don't snore at all and sleep so peacefully and am fully rested in the morning. I used to take a nap almost every day, I haven't had one in probably 2 years now.

In my experiance, weightloss, giving up smoking and giving up booze cured my snoring.

hpnodat 07-20-2010 11:52 AM

It's not just now bothering his sleep, it's been bothering us both for years. We've been sleeping in separate rooms for a few months now because neither one of us can take it anymore and it has gotten worse in the last year and that's why I'm having the sleep study done. I only drink 1-2 drinks/month and I don't smoke so that cant be the issue.

Every day I wake up with a headache, I feel hangoverish, I toss & turn all night, I wake up coughing & gasping sometimes, my throat hurts and I feel like I'm coming down with a cold frequently upon waking, I feel mildy depressed, I don't have any energy, I could go on.

Lori Bell 07-20-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpnodat (Post 3395526)
It's not just now bothering his sleep, it's been bothering us both for years. We've been sleeping in separate rooms for a few months now because neither one of us can take it anymore and it has gotten worse in the last year and that's why I'm having the sleep study done. I only drink 1-2 drinks/month and I don't smoke so that cant be the issue.

Every day I wake up with a headache, I feel hangoverish, I toss & turn all night, I wake up coughing & gasping sometimes, my throat hurts and I feel like I'm coming down with a cold frequently upon waking, I feel mildy depressed, I don't have any energy, I could go on.

Oh gosh, I hope you didn't think I was insinuating that you drank and smoked too much, I was just telling you *my* story. Lots of people read these boards who never post, looking for answers and snoring is a biggie. I just thought I'd throw my story out there in case anyone in cyberspace was having the same issues as me.

I also suffered from GERD, (diagnosed) and that didn't help my sleep problems at all. I would often wake up with a mouthful of stomach bile, (Oh God, how I lived like that day after day, I'll never know). Anyway the GERD also went away for me...improving dramatically after the first few days of eating healthy.

Hope you decide to do the sleep study, it sounds like your quality of life is really suffering.

Loving Me 07-20-2010 12:56 PM

At the beginning of my journey I snored very loudly, used to even wake myself up at times, had sleep apnea (not diagnosed but hubby is qualified practitioner and told me I'd had it for a couple of years), woke up some nights with acid in my mouth from such bad indigestion, and was constantly exhausted even with 10hrs (or so I thought) sleep a night.
After losing about the first 20lbs things started to improve a lot, the first thing being the acid stopped, then the sleep apnea improved and finally the snoring. Hubby says I no longer have sleep apnea and don't snore anymore, it's him who wakes me with his snoring now lol. And because I'm getting so much better quality sleep I wake early in the morning ready to start my day, on maybe 6-7hrs!
I just regret taking so long to do something about it, because when I think back, it was awful. I hope your's improves quickly (hugs).

BrokenAnkle 07-20-2010 12:59 PM

My husband was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea a few years ago and got a Cpap machine. He immediately felt better - had more restful sleeps that he could ever remember having and found it easy to adjust to the machine - so he is a success story.

Hope it goes well for you

matt_H 07-20-2010 01:03 PM

I definitely had sleep apnea and would sometimes wake myself up from the snoring (and the breathing issues). I don't nearly snore as bad now.

The snoring will improve! Sleep apnea can be very dangerous and you might need a breathing machine at night.

hpnodat 07-20-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori Bell (Post 3395569)
Oh gosh, I hope you didn't think I was insinuating that you drank and smoked too much

lol No, I did not take it that way at all! :)

I did use to be a 2 pack a day smoker though but I've been quit for 4 years now. :D And sometimes I wonder if I should drink heavily, cause then maybe it would knock me out enough to get some decent sleep, that's a joke of course. ;)