Old 07-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default OT - any recommendations for NC outdoor activities

I have really been aching to get outside and hike or doing something outdoorsy. This is so hard to believe as I have avoided the outdoors as much as possible for the past 30 years.

Anyway, it has been so dang hot here that an outdoor hike just seems out of the question. DH has reluctantly agreed to a short trip to the mountains of North Carolina (or someplace that might be cooler than here) and I am trying to plan it. We will leave on a Friday afternoon and drive back to SC Saturday night so we need someplace within a 2 to 3 hour drive of Columbia, SC.

Any suggestions???

After searching the Internet, I am considering Chimney Rock, Dupont Forest, or possibly just driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway trying to find waterfalls with hiking trails. I get such great advice here on 3FC, that I thought I would check to see if anyone has any recommendations on this too.

Thanks in advance!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Asheville, NC!

I highly highly recommend a hike on Mt Mitchell. We went there last year and it was great. There are also some really good hikes along the blue ridge parkway.

We visited some waterfalls as well and the water was freezing.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Nelie,
Thanks for the suggestion! I Googled it quickly and loved one phrase from its Web site, "Hikers should wear appropriate clothing and carry proper gear as the high altitude makes the climate of Mount Mitchell chilly, even in summer." !!!!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yup, make sure you take a rain jacket. It was cool when we went last year and rain clouds were bearing down on us. We camped at a site just outside of Asheville and visited Asheville itself. I've stayed at Black Mountain before which is a lovely little town.

And I believe Mt Mitchell is the highest point in NC, you can say you climbed the highest mountain in NC Although you get pretty close by car.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote