What do you eat when you are camping?

• I haven't gone camping in eons and this is the first time we are taking the boys, we've done plenty of day trips but camping, no.

I'm going to cook a roast and shred for sandwiches, do omelette's in a bag and maybe tacos in a bag, plenty of fruits and cut up veggies but not sure what else. It'll be 3 days of eating that I have to plan. We leave on Thursday.
  • I usually grill or do one pot meals like stew or chili.
  • We have camped a lot! We often did:

lean burgers on the grill and a can of baked beans, some cut up raw broccoli in the cooler
    fish in foil packets w/veggies also in foil packets
    "camp dinner" which is lean ground meat, chopped onions, any vegs you like, cubed potatoes in a packet w/salt & pepper, all in a packet on the grill
    Salad also keeps in the cooler.
    We always do smore's... lol
    Often I do hot dogs for the kids, maybe fat free ones for me or a piece of chicken
    Chicken on the grill is good too, esp thighs. You can do sliced onions & potatoes, s& p, maybe some cheese in packets.
    Also sandwiches for lunch, and we bring bowls and milk and cereal for breakfast.
    I sometimes do fried eggs or pancakes and bacon on a camp fry pan.
  • We recently went camping.

One night I did veggie/tempeh tacos (grilled the tempeh)
    The other night I did veggie/tempeh hobo packets (basically marinated the tempeh, cut up lots of veggies and threw them into aluminum foil packets).
    I also like doing grilled veggies quite
    I also usually bring cold salads so I made a coleslaw and a raw beet salad. I also brought fruit.
  • I plan pretty much "normal" camping meals, with added veg for me. Franks and beans is one, stew or burgers is another. Eggs or cottage cheese for breakfast (cereal for my daughter). Pancakes one morning (high fiber mix, with sf syrup for me). We tend not to do chicken unless it's cooked ahead and planned for the first (setup) night. That first night is always something very easy, especially if we might be setting up in rain.

Lunches are PB&J or sandwich meat, with veggies and fruit. Cheezits for daughter.

We do s'mores, and Jiffy Pop popcorn for evening treats.

And we drink Crystal Light pink lemonade, or soda.
  • Lean burgers
    Turkey dogs
    baked chips
    bakedbeans
  • I recently went camping (about 3 weeks ago). I was there for 3 days and 2 nights all I ate was sandwhiches baked lays and tons of water. I did so much hiking and swimming I did not want to eat anything big plus it was hot! Maybe you could pack a lot of bread and sandwhich meat that did the trick for me and my husband.
  • I'm calorie counting. There are lots of great ideas here, thank you. I'm adding to my lists. It's only 3 days, 2 nights so it shouldn't be too bad.

My sons already said they want Jiffy popcorn and s'mores.
  • Oh we do pancakes for breakfast but I take thawed frozen fruit to top them with. Sometimes I'll heat up the fruit a little too. Makes a wonderful fruit topping without any sweetener.