Old 07-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/234.4/150

Height: 5'3"

Smile Where to begin?

Hello. I think I'm ready. I'm definitely tired of being tired, not being able to find clothes and worrying about if I'll "fit" places.This is not my first go round trying to lose weight. In 2007, I lost about 35 lbs by counting calories. I was starting to feel great and ended up getting pregnant (which was an unexpected benefit). However, I had a miscarriage and gained the 35 lbs back...plus about 20 more.

My 6-year old daughter is my motivation. Not only do I want to be able to do things with her (without feeling like I'm going to die), I want to be a good example.

So, here I am at 278 lbs. (eek!). Saying I need to lose 150 lbs. seems so daunting. So, I'll set my first goal at 25 lbs. I would enjoy hearing everyone's story and what has worked for them. I'm also open to suggestions, motivation and someone slapping the cookie from my hand!

I don't even know where to start.
SunshineTater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:59 AM   #2  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Sunshine-This is also a restart for me. It is EXTREMELY daunting to here "I need to lose 130 pounds" but you know what? I have to start somewhere and if I put it off, I'll be looking at 150 lbs, 170 lbs, maybe even 200. Then my struggle would be even more. I don't know what it was inside me that decided to get down to business but I went out and bought me a journal. I wrote down everything I ate. I ate small meals with the occasional small indulgence. Yes, I still have my days where I completely take a nosedive into my binging past but I get right back up.

My particular plan is calorie counting. I am staying between 1300-1500 right now. Whatever your plan of attack is, take it serious, make it about you and for grab motivation from EVERYWHERE you can. Think of your daughter and what your future and her future will look like when you are able to be happy with yourself and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

My advice would be to set out some realistic goals and how you intend to get to them. If one method just isn't working for you, then readjust. Also, when you lose motivation, seek advice and motivation from these threads here. I look at them every time I need a boost to remind me why I am doing this, where I am going to be, and how much it IS possible.

I hope this was helpful for you. Good luck.
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hello and welcome!

I just copied and pasted my word from a thread titled "How do I Start?":

We hear a lot about finding a plan that you CAN stick to. Well, I say combine that with finding/devising a plan that you are WILLING to stick to. To me, the willingness is much more vital.

At some point you have to come to the realization that a change must occur. That you can't go on eating whatever, whenever. So you have to come to terms with that and realize there is some restrictive component to losing weight, getting to a healthy weight and staying there. So you have to want this and you have to be willing to make the changes that are necessary to make it happen.

But the good thing is, I think anyone who's gotten to goal (and those well on their way), that once you get past that initial, temporary discomfort stage or transition period of losing the bad habits and incorporating the new healthy ones that you will realize that it's not so restrictive at all. That it is freeing. That the real restrictiveness, the real deprivation comes from remaining fat. Once you work past the initial tough stage of breaking the bad habits, allowing the good habits to take hold, you will see it's not all that hard. Really.

I would love for you to start by getting excited. Get excited about the changes you are about to implement. Because adhering to a healthy lifestyle is no prison sentence, but a key to freedom that will open up more doors to you than you can possibly imagine, ones you didn't even realize were closed.

I would also start by ridding my home of the junk - you can't eat it if it's not there. It benefits no one. Get rid of the junk it is the only way, but please load it up with tons of lower calorie, healthy DELICIOUS items. Be creative!

I would then make a plan - and stick to that sucker like glue. Plan out each and every meal and snack, leaving nothing to chance. This is too important - you can't wing it. Much easier to stay on plan when you've got one.

Be creative. Make substitutions. Scrounge around the net for healthy recipes and foods.

Also start by knowing that you CAN do this - regardless of your prior history. You 10000% have the ability to lose the weight. We are all capable of it. You don't have to be fat if you don't want to be.

MAke the decision to do this no matter what, once and for all and permanently. But please set yourself up for success. Write down everything you eat - no exceptions and again - get rid of the junk - add in the good stuff and plan your foods ahead of time - taking them with you if need be. Plan, plan and than plan some more

I will add to it that I for one count calories - it is built in accountability and forced portion control. But for me, where those calories come from REALLY matters.They MUST be filling, satisfying, stick with me, voluminous calories - such as veggies, veggies, veggies, lean proteins, no fat dairy and some fruits.

Making definite no's was also a definite must for me. It took away that should I?/shouldn't I? equation that always led to disaster. I had to ban the foods that I craved, *loved* and abused the most - I had a hard time stopping when I started eating certain foods - my solution - don't start - problem solved - 165 lbs gone and kept off for 3+ years now.

I of course found OTHER foods that I now truly love. Ones that taste excellent and are excellent for me, long after I'm done chewing. I no longer settle for foods that *just taste good*. Nope, I've raised my standards. I require more for myself.

Remember, good eating begets more good eating (just as bad eating begets more bad eating), so force yourself those first few weeks to stay with your plan. That is the key. Push yourself. Discover what you are capable. Get past that transition period any which way that you can. ALLOW those new habits to take hold and transform your life.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/234.4/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm getting excited. Before when I counting calories, I had a journal program on my computer. So, I signed up for Sparkpeople. I think the journal program is about the same. Hopefully, getting rid of the junk food won't be too big of a deal. Somehow (not sure how it happened), my daughter is a big veggie and fruit eater. I guess I need to eat more like she does

I work for a school system. So, I'm off for the summer. I'm hoping to get a good start before I go back to work next month. I've bought a fridge for my office, so I can keep myself stocked with water and veggies (and stay away from the vending machines). I'm also a full-time college student. So, I'm looking for some healthy on-the-go breakfasts.
SunshineTater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #5  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineTater View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm getting excited. Before when I counting calories, I had a journal program on my computer. So, I signed up for Sparkpeople. I think the journal program is about the same. Hopefully, getting rid of the junk food won't be too big of a deal. Somehow (not sure how it happened), my daughter is a big veggie and fruit eater. I guess I need to eat more like she does

I work for a school system. So, I'm off for the summer. I'm hoping to get a good start before I go back to work next month. I've bought a fridge for my office, so I can keep myself stocked with water and veggies (and stay away from the vending machines). I'm also a full-time college student. So, I'm looking for some healthy on-the-go breakfasts.
You know, the quickest breakfasts I have seen are the Special K Protein Shakes. They are pretty amazing. Otherwise I bought the Jimmy Dean Lite bfast sandwiches. They use egg whites and turkey sausage. I also bought these premade smoothie packs. I keep my blendor on the counter throw one of those packs in there with a cup of 1%milk. I just rinse out the blendor, put it in the dishwasher and I'm out! I'm generally moving very quickly in the morning so it was hard for me to remember breakfast for awhile.

Keep at it girl, you'll get there!
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote