Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/ticker/176

Height: 180cm/6ft

Default I discovered drinking and dieting don't mix...

I've realised that drinking is a recipe for disaster when it comes to my diet.

For the past two Fridays, I not only drank a lot, but then ate crap afterwards (McDonalds and pizza), then because I'm hungover the next day I eat crap again.

As much as I planned last Friday night - three glasses of champagne, then my diet dinner when I get home - I ended up drinking about 8 glasses of champagne, two glasses of wine, then had McDonalds on the way home. I was SO angry with myself.

Because I'm so good with my diet during the week, I really look forward to those glasses of champagne with the girls on Friday night, but I've decided that maybe it's just best to stop drinking altogther for a while.

Did anyone else give up drinking when they were losing weight? Or how do you incorporate it and not end up ruining all your good work?

HELP! ADVICE??? I do like my Friday night drinks!
Aussie Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

When I started I completely stopped drinking. Now I try to only drink on very limited special occasions and I only drink light beer or wine where I can incorporate it into the points for my day. Now that I don't drink very often I don't need more than a couple of light beers or one glass of wine or I'm not going to be able to stand up. I'd say give it up for a month and see how you feel about it.
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I completely gave up drinking while I was losing. For many reasons. It's next to impossible to contain it to one drink and since quite frankly, drinking one drink does NOTHING for me, and I was certainly not willing to have 2 drinks, I figured why waste the calories on the one.

I also knew that if I drank, my resolve would pretty much go out the window. Meaning, along with drinking - comes eating. *For me*, I was just not willing to take any chances. I was afraid for my very life, terrified to leave my children motherless and wanted SO badly to set myself up for success, I figured doing without was the best way. And no, I didn't look at it as "poor me". I was thrilled to give myself the gift of health. Losing the weight was a NUMBER ONE PRIORITY for me. I was incredibly focused. LOSING THE WEIGHT was all that mattered to me. Not (high calorie) food - or drink. I knew, that later, down the road, when I was in maintenance that I could add a drink (or 2) back into my life.

And one other thing, I was eating a minimal amount of calories. I needed to get the very most from each and every precious one of them. I needed volume, filling power & satisfaction and high nutrition. Alcohol provided ZERO of those things. ZERO.

While dining out or hanging out with friends and not drinking, that's when I turned to diet coke. I LEARNED that having a good time does not depend on drinking or eating for that matter. I was thrilled to stay on plan while socializing. Thrilled. The control felt marvelous. And every day I was on plan, I was one day closer to ending my misery and becoming that fit, trim, healthy person I had always wanted to be and had finally DECIDED to be.

Quote:
HELP! ADVICE??? I do like my Friday night drinks!
You like your Friday night drinks, but will you like your weight loss MORE? What is the most important thing to you right now at this time? You of course have to decide for yourself how you want to handle this. Can you truly limit it to ONE drink and not derail your weeks long effort? Will it throw you into eat at McDonalds mode for the night - and possibly the next day - and even the next day after that? Is it worth it to take the chance and delay your losing the weight? Only you can decide the answers to these questions. You can of course make some sort of plan, experiment and see how it works out and re-assess as need be.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-30-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

rockinrobin said it perfectly, I can't improve on what she said.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #5  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I personally just do it once every now and then, but when I do it I just go the full monty and enjoy myself. *shrug* If you're going to consume the calories for one, might as well enjoy and do whatever. THAT NIGHT. The next day I get right back on track. Also, I don't do it every week... so I don't ever gain. The most I've gained from a night out drinking was a lb and a half, and that was definitely water weight which I lost within a few days of being back on track.

I'd say you probably do need to limit yourself to how many nights a month you allow that night out with the girls..... but when you do it, enjoy and quit feeling so bad!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I know it must be hard for ppl who enjoy some drinks now and then, but they are such empty calories. I'm glad I don't like booze but once or twice a year. On the other hand, most could say that to me about my glorious coffee drinks. I will have one of those a couple times a weeks. I just have to plan my diet around it. Good Luck!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I totally quit drinking when I stated my weight loss. I was a heavy drinker, and along with heavy drinking came late night binges, and heavy morning breakfasts to "soak up" the hangover.

To be honest, I have lost weight MANY times before now. And every time I stopped drinking to save on calories. Food was my first true love, and I would rather eat than drink...BUT the minute I thought it was safe, and could add alcohol back into my life, I immediately started to regain the weight. EVERY SINGLE TIME. This time I have vowed to stay off the booze. I can't handle it. I have a problem with it, and I can NEVER stop at one, (or 2) just like I could never stop at 1 (or 2) cookies. I feel wonderful this morning, and I know a bunch of people who feel like total crapola right this very minute from drinking last night.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-30-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/135

Height: 5'1"

rockinrobin said it perfectly thanks for the pep talk robin
SheGos91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:27 AM   #9  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

I haven't had a drink in months. I decided it wasn't worth the health risks, calories or damage to my being ON PLAN to do it.

Honestly, having more than 2 alcoholic drinks on one occasion is a dangerously unhealthy thing to do. I can't help but think about how my poor, overburdened organs are already working so hard to function with all this extra weight etc and how to add more of a load to them is just cruel and reckless. Seriously, I have been studying the effects of alcohol and other drugs on the system for years at college and have taken many classes; it's scary what happens to our bodies when we drink to excess!

So, no alcohol for me at this time and when I do decide to have any in the future, it will be a sensible, enjoyable single drink of a nice red wine or such.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:25 AM   #10  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

Alcohol isn't a problem for me. I have some kind of inbuilt 2 drink limit, to the point where I don't think I've ever been seriously drunk, or even more than lightly buzzed. I've never had a hangover, because I haven't consumed enough alcohol in one sitting to give me one.

BUT.

Those 2 drinks? They lower my inhibitions so much that if there's food about, particularly of the snacky sort, I will overeat. Overeat, on top of the empty calories from the drinks. I'm not full-bore teetotaler, by any means, but months can go by without me having a drop, because I just really do not find alcohol at all helpful to weight loss, and now maintenance.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:44 AM   #11  

I don't know how old the OP is and I don't want to offend or step on anyone's toes at all by offering my opinion. I think they offered great advice, but I also think that someone's age plays a role in this topic. I *really* don't want to offend anyone by saying this, but I think when you're younger it's really important to find that balance between living your life to the fullest and being healthy. Is telling a relatively younger person never to drink alcohol during her weight loss time and to make losing weight the COMPLETE focus of her life? IMO, that doesn't seem too realistic for a young 'un. I would recommend something other than champagne: champagne has a lot more extra sugar than other alcohol(it all has sugar) and might cause those nasty blood sugar spikes that lead to hunger when you're drunk. Maybe some white or red wine, light beer, anything with diet mixers. As for dealing with drunk munchies, I personally have never experienced them(in fact, I do not want to eat while drinking) but maybe bringing some healthier snacks along with you for when the urge hits. I know the urge is probably for greasy fast food, but maybe bust out the carrots and ranch dip. If you still want something unhealthy, when I crave pizza I make a really simple version: 1 slice whole wheat english muffin, some tomato sauce, light mozzerella, and veggies. Heat it up and it is MUCH less damaging!

I *really* didn't want to disparage anyone's input because I think it is all valuable, but it seems the OP was looking for a happy medium. Someone(I think Paula?) said on another thread that while we're young we should enjoy life! Yes you can enjoy life alcohol-free, but there are ways to incorporate alcohol into your diet. I have always lost while drinking(in fact I lost the most in France, where I drank every day!) Good luck on finding a good balance and sorry for the novel and I hope I didn't offend anyone... :/
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

I gave up drinking when I was 37 realizing that I did not like myself when I was drinking. The health professionals agree that alcohol in moderation can be a part of a food plan, and can help the body age successfully. The key word is moderation. If you find you don't like your behavior, the lowered inhibitions that might lead to poor food choices, then ...choose not to drink.
If you do plan to drink and can consume liquor successfully (without a hang over perhaps?) then..... choose to drink.
Either way, life is still a banquet!
Coralee
chicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #13  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I have the exact same problem. I went over my calorie limit yesterday because I had more than two drinks... and then had NO resolve when it came time to say "no" to snacks.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:52 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I still have my wine. I haven't given it up.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #15  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

Any chance you could drink something you don't particularly love to slow yourself down? I'm not a huge fan of tonic drinks but sometimes I have them because they are relatively low cal and I don't chug them down. Also, have a glass of water after each drink. Plus it sounds like maybe you need to eat before or while you drink--not after. Drinking totally gives me the munchies but if I have had enough to eat, I'm usually okay (and don't usually drink that much or I feel too full).
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote