3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Losing It (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/203422-losing.html)

GirlyGirlSebas 06-01-2010 03:00 PM

Losing It

Losing It with Jillian Michaels begins tonight! :cb:

Onederchic 06-01-2010 03:10 PM

Yep, I get it set up to record on DVR :D

2phatinvictoria 06-01-2010 03:44 PM

hmm.. im going to have to wait till it comes online.. i got rid of digital cable... to get my butt moving!

PeanutsMom704 06-01-2010 04:05 PM

I have it set to record but I have a habit of recording a lot of shows that I end up eventually deleting without watching. I'll have to check back and see what you guys think - if you love it, I'll be more motivated to watch! lol!

ORSewmama 06-01-2010 04:17 PM

I don't stay up that late, but I have it set up to DVR! can't wait to see it!

mingle 06-01-2010 05:47 PM

Oh my gosh, thanks for the reminder! I need to go home & set the DVR right away.

I have a Biggest Loser "rule" that I will only watch it if I'm on the elliptical (obviously, I don't do the whole 2 hours of the show, but I have to do at least 45 minutes). I'm going to implement that rule for Jillian's show, too!

Trazey34 06-01-2010 06:04 PM

I'll wait and see what you guys have to say and then download it -- I kind of hate Jillian actually :) Not sure a whole hour of her SCREAMING at people one minute and then trying to act like a therapist the next is do-able for me!

Smiling_Sara 06-01-2010 07:39 PM

Thank you for the reminder! *setting DVR now *

mkat321 06-01-2010 07:44 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I subscribe to her twitter and facebook feeds and she had to leave one of the houses the first night due to the high level of tension. I can't wait to see exactly what happened, or what they'll show of what happened anyways.

Onederchic 06-02-2010 01:23 AM

I know everyone prolly will not agree but I did enjoy it. It was what I thought it would be and well, even if I don't agree always with Jillian's tactics, I do like her and I will continue to watch the show :D

gloo 06-02-2010 02:26 AM

Oh dude, I cried and cried. And then I cried some more. Dear lord.

I liked the show as a whole...would have liked to see more of what they did with the healthy stuff the bought at the store, and it would have been nice if Jillian wasn't at the epicenter of the daughter's wedding.

But still, a lovely family.

Oh, and it totally confirms that I could never ever handle Jillian as a trainer. I'm waaaaay too much of a wuss.

Passionista 06-02-2010 02:32 AM

I hope they play the first episode again, I didn't have it set to record!

Onederchic 06-02-2010 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloo (Post 3319781)
Oh dude, I cried and cried. And then I cried some more. Dear lord.

I liked the show as a whole...would have liked to see more of what they did with the healthy stuff the bought at the store, and it would have been nice if Jillian wasn't at the epicenter of the daughter's wedding.

But still, a lovely family.

Oh, and it totally confirms that I could never ever handle Jillian as a trainer. I'm waaaaay too much of a wuss.

Same for me on all I bolded in your statements :D

dgramie 06-02-2010 08:01 AM

I really liked it! I am a wimp also so I couldnt take her yelling at me!! LOL

terraleigh77 06-02-2010 08:06 AM

It was alright, for a first episode it was interesting, but we will see how the rest of the season goes.

Tara

Judy Lynn 06-02-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

I'll wait and see what you guys have to say and then download it -- I kind of hate Jillian actually Not sure a whole hour of her SCREAMING at people one minute and then trying to act like a therapist the next is do-able for me!
That pretty much sums up exactly what happened. Not sure if I will continue watching. I almost switched channels 10 mins. in, but now that we are into summer re-runs there wasn't anything else on that I wanted to watch.

FitGirlyGirl 06-02-2010 08:43 AM

I liked it for the most part. That family made me cry sooo much. I was glad that it did them good. I couldn't believe she wore that to the wedding, or that she was so central at the wedding, though it was nice that she paid.

GirlyGirlSebas 06-02-2010 08:56 AM

I'm not sure. I really like Jillian, but I'm not too much for the touchy feeley stuff. I guess I'm more of a "pull up your pants and get 'er done" kind of gal. I've had horrible stuff happen throughout my life, too. I'm not sure I can blame those things for me being 100+ pounds overweight.

ubercast 06-02-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas (Post 3320049)
I'm not sure. I really like Jillian, but I'm not too much for the touchy feeley stuff. I guess I'm more of a "pull up your pants and get 'er done" kind of gal. I've had horrible stuff happen throughout my life, too. I'm not sure I can blame those things for me being 100+ pounds overweight.

^This.

I hate when shows like the biggest loser pull that touchy feely stuff on us because it just seems so forced.

Sandi 06-02-2010 09:08 AM

I taped it, but I am not sure how I feel about it. I am afraid it will be very dramatic. We'll see

mkat321 06-02-2010 09:29 AM

ITA with everyone who said her being so much a part of the wedding ceremony kinda perturbed me but if the family wanted it that way, then who am I to judge, kwim?

I couldn't handle Jillian as a trainer. Heck I have the 30 day shred and her screeching that she has 400 plus pound people doing this routine so just.get.it.done. doesn't help when I'm struggling to breath kwim?

I will say I'm kind of curious if the rapid losses the family had will stick around any better than they did for the guy they brought onto Discovery Health from last seasons TBL who had gained all his weight back? 48 pounds in 6 weeks is amazing but we hear alot here about the un-sustainability of rapid weight loss y/k?

GirlyGirlSebas 06-02-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkat321 (Post 3320124)
I will say I'm kind of curious if the rapid losses the family had will stick around any better than they did for the guy they brought onto Discovery Health from last seasons TBL who had gained all his weight back? 48 pounds in 6 weeks is amazing but we hear alot here about the un-sustainability of rapid weight loss y/k?

But, we also hear a lot here about people who did lose rapidly and have kept it off for a while. It's all about changing your mindset. There are many people from the BL who have maintained significant losses. What Bob and Jillian are constantly stressing is that the game not become the primary focus. They must focus on changing their lifestyle and their habits. Otherwise, when the game is over......

PeanutsMom704 06-02-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkat321 (Post 3320124)

I don't think anyone from last season gained it all back. There have been a few people from the show over the past several seasons who did, but overall, I think their percentage of people maintaining a healthy weight is pretty high compared to stats for the general population of people who lose weight.

However, the interesting thing to me is that it seems like many of the former contestants are being successful because they've turned their BL experience into their whole life. They don't always go back to living the same life they lead when they put on all the weight. Not just lifestyle changes like eating right and being active, but whole life changes like moving, changing careers, etc. Not a realistic option for most of us, though.

Trazey34 06-02-2010 11:46 AM

thanks to everyone posting, i can tell this isn't the show for me LOL Jillian couldn't be my trainer because i'd yell LOUDER and tell her to STFU hahhahaha

There's a terrific canadian show -- does anyone ever watch it? It's caleld "X-Weighted" and it's either a couple, or a family, 2 friends, etc., and they follow them for 6 months, they get nutrition tips, a fitness test at the beginning and end -- not as dramatic losses as TBL but some times quite significant, and you can really SEE how they've changed. It's all in their own homes so it's more sustainable. I love how the host/trainer guy goes thru their fridge, pulls out stuff like frozen waffles "this'll kill ya, in the trash" LOL

mkat321 06-02-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 (Post 3320287)
I don't think anyone from last season gained it all back.

I went back and checked, and Eric Chopin, the guy they used on the promos as being from the previous season and made the Discovery Health spin-off about, was actually from season 3, so it was apparently a marketing ploy. My apologies.

According to this, http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/282390...Y_BLoser_WATN2 alot of them gain a good chunk of their weight back. It's to be expected to a point I guess, since they go from working out being their sole focus and only concern, back to every day life. Kind of makes me feel a wee bit better that despite my own breakthroughs I'm still struggling, kwim?

OrganizedChaos 06-02-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloo (Post 3319781)
and it would have been nice if Jillian wasn't at the epicenter of the daughter's wedding.

I didn't catch the whole show and I had forgot to record it, but I thought the same thing. It was a little wierd to me that at their daughters wedding, Jillian became a focal point during the walk down the aisle. I did like what I saw though, and was glad to see she had made a positive impact in this families life. This show will at least hold me over until BL season 10 begins. I saw that Bob posted on Facebook that they began recording Season 10 at the ranch this week.

parkedout 06-02-2010 01:55 PM

I like Biggest Loser, but the product placement has gotten downright RIDICULOUS in the last two seasons!:mad: I was waiting the WHOLE show last night for her to pull out a pack of Extra gum or Cheerios cereal to be prominently placed on the table. :D I can not express to you how happy I was that it didn't happen! LOL

That was the only good point of the show, though. I didn't glean any info on their training program or food choices. Only a few shots of food shopping. Not even that much gym time. LOTS of froo-froo crying and carrying on over emotional issues...which is FINE... its part of the journey... but I wanted to see more action and less pyscho-babble.

:)

PeanutsMom704 06-02-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkat321 (Post 3320595)
According to this, http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/282390...Y_BLoser_WATN2 alot of them gain a good chunk of their weight back. It's to be expected to a point I guess, since they go from working out being their sole focus and only concern, back to every day life. Kind of makes me feel a wee bit better that despite my own breakthroughs I'm still struggling, kwim?

I guess it's all relative - to me, someone who loses 100-150 lbs for the show (so working REALLY hard, and putting more effort than most people can routinely do on a regular basis), but then puts back on as much as 30-50 but maintains that and is leading a healthy lifestyle is probably at a healthy and maintainable weight for their body. I wouldn't put them in the same category as someone putting back on almost all they had lost. So by my standards, I do think the success rate for BL maintaining is pretty high, since I've seen stats saying that it's as low as 5% of people who maintain a loss - and chances are even that 5% doesn't assume that everyone maintains at the very lowest they've ever gotten to. For me, that makes it easier to think I can get a realistic goal and maintain it, even if I would never get to the (sometimes scarily!) low numbers these players have for the finale episodes.

mandalinn82 06-02-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind also that BL contestants dehydrate and don't eat before the final weigh in, so often gain 10-15 lbs or more back in water and stomach contents within a few days of the weigh in. Obviously they're highly motivated to get as much water out as possible for the finale, because of the money. So even a "significant" weight gain of 15 lbs wouldn't reflect a gain of ANY fat.

Eliana 06-02-2010 04:53 PM

Jillian practically walked down the aisle!! I wouldn't have wanted that at MY wedding.

I mixed feelings about the show, exactly as I thought I would. I liked it, but add me to the list who doesn't like the touchy-feely stuff. On the other hand, that's exactly what DH does like about the show.

I like Jillian's tough love, but I actually thought she was over doing it with Agnes. I know there's editing involved though, and we didn't see everything.

TJFitnessDiva 06-02-2010 05:25 PM

It's coming on again tonight @ 7cst....I missed it & hopefully I can watch tonight after I get back from my son's baseball game ;)

LizR 06-02-2010 09:11 PM

I've never watched Biggest Loser and this was the first time I've seen Jillian's style. I was a little surprised at the approach. It didn't seem healthy to me at all. I think it is much healthier to get in shape slowly. Doing so much when your body isn't ready seems like it would give you a high risk of injury or even heart attack. I know the family saw a doctor before starting so they had their blood pressure, heart function, etc. checked out. People watching might try it without the doctor though.

suzie76 06-02-2010 10:03 PM

Trazey,

I've watched "X-Weighted" on Discovery Health in the United States. I was wondering if the show ever has updates on the people who participated?
I saw an episode with a woman named Sarah who was undergoing treatment for breast cancer during the show. At her final weigh in, she collapsed. At the end of the show they said her doctors had found a "mass in her brain."
I was wondering if they followed up? I was hoping she was okay.

Thanks-
Sherry