Old 06-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #1  

Default Calorie Count current & future

Hi everyone,

I'm a new kid on the block here and soaking up the atmosphere (which is great)

I'm 5'9/5'10 (I think I'm shrinking!!!) 303 lbs and I'm aiming for daily intake of 1800 max, my question is when I hit 250lbs do I drop calories more? or keep at same rate & assume muscle will be eating up calories?

What would my calorie count be at goal weight - 170lbs - sorry if this is a bit of a straight to the guts of it question - just trying to make sure eating at the correct rate.

Anyway is anyone would like to share their experiences with calorie movement as they've dropped weight would love to hear. Thanx all...off to read more threads cheers
debs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #2  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

You're gonna hate this answer... but it really depends on your own body. I'm losing pretty steadily at 1800. I don't have a weight when I plan to lower my calories, but rather plan to see where I start slowing the weight loss.

I've read folks here who eat 1800 all the way from 300 to 140 pounds. They just accept that they will lose weight more and more slowly until they find their maintenance weight. I've also read folks here who started at 1200 at 300 pounds, and kept that level all the way down.

Personally, I aim for 1800/day, but in truth I cycle between 1400 - 1800. My average over a week is usually around 1600.

So long as I'm losing steadily (I weigh once a month), even if it's slowly, I'll stick with this level.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I would let your body and not the scale dictate. Keep eating as much as possible, for as long as possible.

Why? It's easier to eat more. You stay more satisfied, you get a nice, wide variety of nutrients. It also gives you more calorie wiggle room when you DO need it.

I would just keep eating 1800 until your weight loss plateaus (if it ever will). It might be at 250, it might be at 200, it might never? Who knows!

And by a plateau I don't mean one week where you don't lose weight (so many things can cause a weight bobble), but for several weeks where you are consistently, consciously on plan and the scale still won't budge. Even then, I would attack exercise first (before calories) and up the intensity of my workout for a couple of weeks. THEN drop calories by 100 a day.

As a maintainer, I am probably older than you (40) and a little shorter (5'7"). I maintain very comfortably around 1800 calories a day + one treat meal per week (dinner in a nice restaurant, glass of wine, split dessert).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #4  

thanks very much for replying...

it's good to hear from those having done it as so confusing with all the arbitrary numbers thrown about on different websites...now gives me a clearer picture of what to expect so I will stick with 1800 max and see how the loss goes and once hit a wall (plateau) will tweak. Thanks again, much appreciated
Old 06-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I've tweaked my calories from 1300-2000 through this whole process--tweaked down as I lost weight and adjusted, but also tweaked UP as I've exercised more and my body has needed more energy--so at 200 I was eating 1500 a day, but now, at 178, I am eating 1600-1800--but I am exercising 3 more hours a week. I am going to cut back my exercise the first week of August, and I imagine I will be less hungry and cut my calories back a bit, too.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #6  

yeah that's a good point with the increase in exercise activity..I've been on this road before (haven't we all?!!) I previously lost about 60lbs (so I know it's doable) but fast foward 7 years and +100lbs urggh.

Anyway I do vaguley remember last time I did upp eating when I upped the exercise & still dropped weight, so thanks for the reminder. I've been unhealthy for so long, everything in my brain on the subject has turned to mush. But it's slowly coming back to me.