Old 05-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218.5/218.5/140

Height: 5'5

Default A Little Depressed

So I overheard my son tell my husband today that I'm fat. It caught me off-guard but I mean, who am I kidding? He's right so I can't really get mad at him for telling the truth can I!
jskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/235.6/150

awww D= I'm sorry, that's kind of harsh to hear from your son, but don't be too depressed. You should be happy with who you are. ^_^
ubercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:11 AM   #3  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Kids are pretty observant aren't they!!?!? I know the feeling....my 6 yo son told me a couple of months ago that I was fat. He wasn't being mean....just making a truthful, oberservant statement. Now he keeps asking me "how much pounds have you losed mommy?" I told him 13 and that I had 95 to go. He said, "Only 95!! And then we can go bike riding right?" Poor kid....it's gonna be a good 9 months before I get on a bike. LOL
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:43 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

It is what it is. My 6 yr old kid wanted to know why Dad is thin and I'm round. I told her people come in different colors, shapes, heights, and ages. That seemed to satisfy and she moved on.

I don't talk to her about my body project. She doesn't need the details and I'm hoping to just lose quietly and not have it be a big deal.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-31-2010 at 03:45 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #5  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

It is a little harsh. I mean, we;d like to think our kids (at least before a certain age) are blind to all our faults. But you're doing something about this! Imagine how heartbreaking it really would have been if you'd overheard him saying you were ugly. There's no easy cure for that one....
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #6  

The honesty of kids can be rough sometimes. My youngest was about 3 the time he walked in on my getting dressed and goes "Mom, you belly jiggles when you bend like that, its funny!" Obviously I was not as amused as him!

My dd is 13 now, and one of my biggest fears is being an embarrassment to her. Not that she has ever said a word, she is one awesome kid! But its my fear.
aubrylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Kids can be so very blunt. Mine have hurt my feelings many times...not that I'd ever let them know that. Try not to let this get you down. Unlike some adults, this does not mean that he thinks any less of you. Fat is not negative to kids. It's just an observation. I'm sure he loves his Mommy with all of his little heart.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #8  

I know he didn't mean it in a hurtful way and that he does love me. It just really sucks the breath right out of me. My other kids have said or done things as well but they're younger and don't know any better. I've talked with him many times about fat not being a nice word because people outside the home have come up. I guess I really need to work harder to be where I want and should be. But I also need to watch what I say more closely as well. It's hard for him to understand why he can't call me fat when I call myself fat all the time. Strike 1 for mom of the year nomination
Old 05-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/239/~110 - 120

Height: 5'0"

I remember a time, I called my mom fat. I was mad, upset and probably saying it to her was my way of making me feel better about my own weight. Now that I am bigger, and actually bigger than her, I know I shouldn't have said it. I know now how hurt full that must have been for her. Makes you wish you could turn back time and take things back.
mizb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #10  
Philly Dancing Queen

S/C/G: 265/245/170

Height: 5 ft3

You could always say . I'm not fat! I'm fluffy!

But it still hurts. Try not to beat yourself up with it. That just always sends me to the mashed potato hall of shame.
toomuchmoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #11  

so today he goes "why is your tummy getting bigger. don't tell me you're having ANOTHER baby" i said "i don't know. you'll just have to wait and find out" lol
Old 05-31-2010, 11:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskinner View Post
I know he didn't mean it in a hurtful way and that he does love me. It just really sucks the breath right out of me. My other kids have said or done things as well but they're younger and don't know any better. I've talked with him many times about fat not being a nice word because people outside the home have come up. I guess I really need to work harder to be where I want and should be. But I also need to watch what I say more closely as well. It's hard for him to understand why he can't call me fat when I call myself fat all the time. Strike 1 for mom of the year nomination
I hope this doesn't come across like I'm piling on for something you are already beating yourself up over, but I do have to agree that what you show your child about how you feel about your body gets reflected back at you.

I know someone who tells the story of her young child getting on the scale and saying "oh, ugh!" at the number. She thought it was funny but it bothered me a lot. So I made a focused effort to avoid anything like that and from the time my son was tiny, we cheered each other for whatever the scale said. At almost 6, he is aware that I'm "trying to get smaller" but we don't dwell on it and he is not really too clear on what I even mean by that because he keeps asking if he's bigger than me yet.

It's a little late to put the genie back into the bottle, and I do think that it also depends a lot on how old your son is, but I also think that the more you can present an image of being happy with your body, even as you try to improve your life by losing weight to become more fit and healthy, you may find more of that reflected back to you by your son.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Matt - please forgive yourself. We have all done this. Hop right back on your plan and do what you know works. You will feel better in a few days when you have a few good days under your belt.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote