Hysterectomys and weight gain

• I just recently underwent a total hysterectomy.I have felt hungrier and wondered if any other fellow Weight Watchers have dealt with this?
    Sue
  • Hi Mom,

I too have had a "total" way back in 1983. I don't know that I felt hungrier, but I know that the surgery put me into immediate menapause which in turn played havoc with my hormones, leaving me with instant hot flashes, mood swings, depression and a plethora of other aiglments. In retrospect, (and this is why I am responding), although I don't know how old you are, I was in my early 30's and NO ONE explained to me what was going to happen to my body. I just got so caught up with feeling lousy, blue, and so tired, I lost track of how to take care of myself and I think I must of self medicated by using food more and more. In a matter of 6 years, I gained 65 pounds!!!!!!! That was a little more than 10 pounds a year and I though I wasn't doing anything different.

What I finally realized (after a lot of reading) was that this horrific weight gain was was due to many, many things. One, feeling tired and depressed lead to less exercise, two your metabloism slows down with with menapause naturally and exercising less or at the same level, was not a good thing. Three, less exercising whether you eat the same or indulge a little more, is going to put pounds on! So, you must discuss the changes that are going on with you, with your doctor...and if he/she won't listen FIND ANOTHER!!!!! There is help wether you choose to go on replacement thereapy (which didn't work for me) or you get into meditation or support groups, join a gym, do yoga, etc... There is something to keep you on a even path with this journey you are on. Don't think you can do it alone...feeling lousy and feeling bad for yourself (which is what I did) only put me in the situation I am in now. Talk it out, if your family and friends don't want to listen go somewhere else. I have a wonderful husband, but he didn't understand at all!!! How could I get like this over night? Surgery was suppose to make me better, etc...Finally, after getting my own help, I stuck a book under his pillow and asked him to please read it. It helped!!!

Don't let it get the best of you, nip it right NOW, before those ugly pounds start piling on and you can't figure out how.

Maybe this isn't your situation, but if it is and I can help, let me know. "been there"

Take care of yourself,~~~~~~~~Meg
  • One other thing Mom....I am on WW and it is very slow, I never lost weight fast, (also have hypothyrodism) but it's MUCH slower now. But the diet, exercise, choosing good foods and learning to like myself again is a big step in the right direction. So slow is ok, as long as I do it!!!!

Meg