How long have you been doing this?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • I know many of us have been trying to lose weight our whole adult lives, but how long have you been at it *this time*?

I've been working on losing this weight consistently for 2 years and 9 months now. I've had a string of a few days here and there that I felt out of control, but always got right back on and kept working at it. I am pretty proud of myself for doing this. I've been binge free for 12 weeks now.
  • i've been actively trying to lose weight since april, so this would be my second month. i'm pretty disappointed i haven't been consistent, but i'm not giving up.
  • Next Tuesday will make nine years for me. It took about a year to lose the weight and I'll spend the rest of my life working to keep it off.
  • Since May 1st, 2008, when I gave up sugar. So, just over 2 years total. However, I took a maintenance break of about 6 months from July through December last year, due to the stress of my mom's illness. I didn't really gain any weight during that time, though I do think I lost a little lean mass since I wasn't working out. Oh well.
  • Steadily since September 27 of 2008... so 20 months!
  • Meg, congrats on your upcoming anniversary!

February 13th of this year was when this big change hit. This is also the first time I've ever been successful. I NEVER thought I'd be back in a size 16 and still losing.
  • My two year anniversary was on the 8th of this month
  • I started in march....
  • This go round? December 26, 2009 was my start date. I didn't want my commitment to be a New Years Resolution thus likely to be broken, so I started 5 days early.
  • I started Jan 18th this year
  • This attempt started in January 2007. But it wasn't part of a New Year's resolution. It happened after I had a dark night of the soul (literally & figuratively) while at our company's annual offsite meeting in Las Vegas in the middle of January 2007.

I keep a diary, so I should look up the exact date & start commemorating it.

ETA: When I think of commemorating a date, I always think of Lori Bell's "March Forth" story. That one just won't leave me. I think because I felt as though I were reading about a conversion experience.
  • Right at 4 years--with 3 long maintenance breaks, slight re-gains but no major relapse.
  • Well, I'm not a member of this group, but I hope you don't mind me sharing what I went through. It has taken me about 5 years altogether. It took me a couple years of trial and error to go from 185 to 120. I maintained goal for a year and then gained about 25 lbs. back. I've been trying to get back on top of my weight gain ever since then. I did stop gaining, but now I am finally losing again, and on my way back to 120. My slip up was hard for me and I felt like I had literally lost my control over food/myself again. It did teach me a very important lesson though...I will NEVER think that I can "relax" during the holidays/any special occasion ever again. I had done so good during my year of maintaining, and felt completely in control of myself, so I deduced that I would be able to control myself with a relaxed attitude towards my eating during the holidays. By relaxed, I mean having more junk food than I would normally eat, not that I'm not comfortable/at ease with my normal, day to day, eating. Big mistake! Before I knew it, my cravings went out of control. I lost control of my cravings; they had taken over. It took me months, and a 25 lb. gain before I could get things back under control. I never realized before, until I went through that, how intense cravings can really be, and how out of control it leaves you feeling. I felt so helpless, but my light of hope was knowing that I had done it before and I could do it again. I just had to get a foothold again, which I have. I don't ever want to go through that experience again, and now I know what not to do so that I don't ever go through that again.
  • 8 days for me!! You guys inspire me soooo much!! Especially the ones who are keeping it off!!! You go!!! I have lost and gained 100's of lbs in my life!! I am ready to lose and maintain!!
  • I have been on plan since the first of Sept, 2008 (can't say the exact day) so 20 months and some days. I have had an off day here and there but pretty much have been on plan. Some of your posts have made me feel better. Sometimes I get down on myself because I have not lost 100 pounds in a year. It is nice to know that I have some company in taking a little longer with weight loss.