3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   6 months, (almost) 40 lbs gone (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/200859-6-months-almost-40-lbs-gone.html)

PeanutsMom704 05-02-2010 06:25 PM

6 months, (almost) 40 lbs gone

6 months, 40 lbs. It was actually a little over 40 lbs, but I had a bit of a backslide in April, but feel like I'm really getting back on track. So I'll round up. 40 pounds doesn’t sound incredibly impressive, there are people who have lost double that amount in the same time. But I’m pretty thrilled.

Mostly, that I’m working my plan after 6 months (meaning on plan, I didn’t find 3fc until about a month and a half into it). I’ve had my slips – April has been particularly tough for me for a lot of reasons. But I’m still here and working my way back down.

Just over a year ago, I was at Disneyland with my son (he was 4 at the time). We did a lot physically but even so, I was aware that it was a lot less than what I could have done if I hadn’t been that size. And we did stuff like ride the train a lot, which made him happy but was mostly because I needed a chance to sit down! While I was there, sitting on the train, I had this thought that I didn’t have to be one of those amazing people who loses 100 lbs in a year. (And I do consider them amazing!) But I could lose 25 lbs a year for the next 4 years, and I’d still be where I wanted to be and be living the life I wanted to live, for myself and my child.

It still took me another 6 months before I was ready. On November 2, 2009, I started. At first, I just focused on making better food choices. Then I pulled out the food scale and fired up my old Fitday account and started weighing and journaling my food. A few weeks later, I bought a Wii for my son and me and began to incorporate more regular physical activity.

And it hasn’t been that quickly, but the weight has been coming off (well, most of the time! lol!) And even when I’ve started to slip and head back in the wrong direction, I’m stopping myself and saying Not This Time. I’m not expecting perfection but I refuse to keep going backwards. Because this is less about the number on the scale and more about establishing healthy habits that I can sustain for the rest of my life.

And as for my original thought about 100 lbs in 4 years - well, it's a year later, and 40 lbs is gone. I don't know exactly what the scale will say in another 6 months, or in 6 months after that. But I know that I am committed to this way of life, and whether I'm at a final goal or not, I'll be doing the right things. As I posted in another thread, I'm changing my life - the weight loss is just coming along for the ride!

cathydoe 05-02-2010 06:33 PM

WTG PeanutsMom! Thanks for sharing yourself with us here at 3FC!!

mingle 05-02-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

I'm changing my life - the weight loss is just coming along for the ride!
What a great thought!

Congratulations on your accomplishments!

llmw1951 05-02-2010 06:40 PM

That's Great! Congratulations!

KatMarie 05-02-2010 06:51 PM

That's awesome! Good job with your healthier eating and increased activity...and the 40 lb weight loss!

Coondocks 05-02-2010 06:54 PM

You set a goal of 25lbs a year and did 40 in 6 months? Why shouldn't you be thrilled?? That's a fantastic accomplishment, you've outdone your expectations and then some keep it up!! :)

lovemyboy 05-02-2010 07:05 PM

Don't discount yourself! That's awesome!

PeanutsMom704 05-02-2010 07:11 PM

Thanks cathydoe, mingle, llmw1951, KatMarie, coondocks and lovemyboy!!

Quote:

You set a goal of 25lbs a year and did 40 in 6 months? Why shouldn't you be thrilled?? That's a fantastic accomplishment, you've outdone your expectations and then some keep it up!! :)
I wouldn't say that I set 25 lbs a year as a goal - it was more the concept that I could do this slowly and take as long as I needed to take, and still get there in the end. Once I've been actively working on this, I do aspire to get there a little bit more quickly, although still not on a specific timetable, as I've found those don't work that well for me.

(I am keeping my Summer Onederland Challenge banner though - I figure that if I get there any time this summer, even if not by June 21, I'll consider that a success! lol!)

SwimGirl 05-02-2010 08:39 PM

PeanutsMom - 40 pounds in 6 months is really good! Congrats! And celebrate that! Yes there are people who lose it faster, but there are also people who lose it slower. I think you are doing great, you have such a great mind-set, that alone is something to celebrate :) Keep up the great work :)

-Aimee

beachlover86 05-02-2010 09:12 PM

WAY TO GO! I think 40 lbs in 6 months is great! When I started in Jan my goal has been 5 lbs a month. Which to most people is nothing but in 6 months my thought was i'd be 30 lbs lighter than I was when i started. Plus life is always going to throw you curve balls, if I have a bad day I know i won't give up because I can fix it the next couple. I'm slightly a head of my goals. I could only hope to lose that much in 6 months! Congrats!

PeanutsMom704 05-02-2010 09:18 PM

Thanks SwimGirl and beachlover86!

I don't want to make it sound like I'm not happy with how far I've come, I think I'm just a little bit caught in the trap of assuming larger, faster losses are better. I do think any loss is good, and the greatest one is the one that stays off!

toomuchmoxie 05-02-2010 10:01 PM

That is awesome! You made up your mind and you did it, and that's so inspiring for those of us who are struggling.
I'd love to hear what kind of workout you're doing on the WiiFit - I haven't really figured out what works - the hula hooping doesn't really burn calories for me. Definitely let me know..

mmiller2829 05-02-2010 10:20 PM

40 lbs. is amazing! Good job! in another 6 months just think of where you could be.

time2lose 05-02-2010 10:26 PM

PeanutsMom, 40 pounds is great and life changing! I have enjoyed your posts here and look forward to hearing about the next 40 pounds!

Cita 05-02-2010 10:39 PM

Congrats on six months, and saying goodbye to 40 lbs forever!

I'm proud to be a member of a group that has people like you to inspire me. To still be following this lifestyle in six months, a year, two years, ten years, is the ultimate goal for all of us, I think. You are showing that it is possible, and that even if there are a few speedbumps along the way to slow us down, we don't stop moving toward our goals of a healthy life.

Thank you!