3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Crazy Diets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/198931-crazy-diets.html)

synger 04-09-2010 08:33 AM

Crazy Diets

This little slideshow presents some of the crazier diet plans out there. It includes a couple of my past favorites, the cabbage soup diet and the grapefruit diet.

What do you think of these options? Have you tried any of them? Most of them are very unbalanced and I would not consider them healthy at all. But I actually include aspects of some of them into my plan -- adding coconut oil, for one, and eating more veggie soup for another.

Eliana 04-09-2010 09:08 AM

Those were fun to sift through. :D I'm most curious about the banana diet. LOL! It seems a nice banana would be great after a good cardio workout, but bananas are high in sugar. Also, I've discovered that un-ripe bananas are constipating and ripe bananas have the opposite reaction. It's very true for me! If it's not ripe enough, bananas do NOT sit well in my tummy.

All of them are pretty much really based on ultra-low calories. Ultimately it always come back to in vs. out.

marigrace 04-09-2010 09:31 AM

:?:I was wondering if it wouls be OK to combine the Fitness Phobic Diet with with the Tart Diet. That way I could sit around all day eating tarts. What do you think ???

ChunkySmoo 04-09-2010 09:32 AM

Interesting. I have tried the cabbage soup diet and I liked it for a while but I was gaining a lot of water weight from it :-( Now I try to stay away from crazy diets and just do what I find fits into my lifestyle best.

synger 04-09-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marigrace (Post 3239778)
:?:I was wondering if it wouls be OK to combine the Fitness Phobic Diet with with the Tart Diet. That way I could sit around all day eating tarts. What do you think ???

:crazy:

I love it!

beerab 04-09-2010 09:51 AM

I haven't done any of them but I've known people who have, I loved the "cardio free" diet lol.

astrophe 04-09-2010 10:03 AM

Never tried fad diets. They sound silly to me.

A.

ChrissyBean 04-09-2010 11:01 AM

No, I've never tried a diet. I can't commit to them. Heck, I can't even count calories without hyperventilating.

PaulaM 04-09-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marigrace (Post 3239778)

I think I was on this one the last twenty years :D

WarMaiden 04-09-2010 12:16 PM

My best girlfriend did the cookie diet last year to lose about 10 pounds or so before her wedding, and it worked for her; I'm also certain that she knew it was a very low calorie diet (she's a healthcare industry professional). And she wasn't doing it for a long period of time. She's got a history of going on crash diets to lose weight, dating all the way back to high school (25 years ago!) which once caused her to nearly pass out in our choir class :/

Last year I did try a diet that entails about 1000 calories per day, with plenty of protein and veggies and EFAs. But I just can't do calories that low, ever; I become incredibly weak and tired. After about 3 days I gave up on it, BUT it was helpful in getting me off the little bit of honey I had been including in my diet every day.

That's the only time I've ever tried any kind of "crazy" diet. (And it was relatively un-crazy.) I simply cannot exist on low calories, and I know too much about health, nutrition, and fitness to think any of that is OK to do.

2phatinvictoria 04-09-2010 03:17 PM

those just seemed soo silly.. i couldnt help but laugh while reading them!

Onederchic 04-09-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulaM (Post 3240100)
I think I was on this one the last twenty years :D

lol

giselley 04-09-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synger (Post 3239657)
What do you think of these options? Have you tried any of them? Most of them are very unbalanced and I would not consider them healthy at all.

Actually... there is absolutely no evidence that a "balanced" diet is better than any other. In fact, when all that food goes in to the digestive tract, the body kind of picks and chooses what it wants and eliminates the rest. There are some foods you need -- if you do not have them, you will either die or become pretty sick, but you don't need to eat a balanced diet every meal. I tend to like to eat a veggie meal (salad or raw vegetables,) and a protein meal, and may or may not eat any carbs all day. Don't need them.

As far as what I feel? Eating cabbage soup or grapefruit every day is a bit much-- but if you look at the actual diet (which I have) you have cabbage soup with other food, not just on its own. Besides the great vitamins, you get lots of fiber and it most likely fills you up. I happen to love cabbage-- especially the purple kind. I love it fried with caraway seeds. I could eat that all day.

spirit2010 04-09-2010 08:59 PM

This is a great thread.

I once read in a book called Thin For Life that the most successful diet is the one you create; the one you call your own, not some crazy fad diet (which I too have done!!)...

I took that advice to heart, and I've taken aspects from three books I read: The Mayo Clinic Diet (the new book out; not the fad Mayo Clinic diets abundant on the internet), Calorie Queens, and a little booklet called Calorie Points for Weight Loss that I learned about on this website.

I could never follow someone else's diet plan. My calories are low enough so that I'm slowly losing, but not so low that I'm in constant deprivation.

spirit2010 04-09-2010 09:00 PM

p.s. giselly, I hear you about the cabbage soup; love it as well and believe me I could finish off a pot in one day too!