Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I was at work a couple of days ago and I saw someone who was getting a lot of praise for losing weight on our workplace's biggest loser program.

She mentioned that she had lost 12 pounds and that when she started she weighed 202... She "says" she's 5'9" but standing next to her, she's not much taller than me-- we're about the same.... Well, to me, she looks SKINNY!!! She's wearing size large scrubs, and I'm wearing a large top and XL pants-- but the XL pants are getting a little big, and I've been thinking that I'd be going down a size in about ten to fifteen more pounds...

But then it really hit me-- I was thinking that I only weigh about ten pounds more than she weighed before and only about twenty pounds more than she weighs now, but I'm thinking in my mind that I'd have to lose sixty or seventy pounds to be as thin as her. Weird.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #17  
amazing

S/C/G: 214.5/185.2/115

Height: not quite 5'1"

I know how you feel...

I was a bridesmaid last September, and one of the other girls is significantly larger than I am... I thought she looked great, and I thought I looked like a big fat cow in the dress.

On my facebook page, I only have my thinner pics from a few years ago, and tell my friends, "please don't tag me"
HokieLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #18  

Height: 5'5"

I wonder how many of us do this? I have threatened all my FB friends not to tag me in any photos, cause I have many friends in there that think I'm still thin. It's nuts.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #19  
Recommitted: 12/29/2015

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'6" | Age: 27

Maybe I'm an odd one, but I really tend to like pictures of myself more than I used to, even as I've gotten fatter. I think right now a big part of it is knowing that I'm putting effort into my health and physical fitness, so in a way, I feel like that makes me look so much happier in photographs than the miserable in-denial, self-hating person I used to be, even when I weighed a lot less.

I think another big part of it for me is that fact that at some point not-so-long-ago I decided that just because I'm fat doesn't mean that I can't put effort into my appearance and dress more feminine while I work on chipping away the 120+ pounds I want to lose. I think maybe my brain picks up on the positive changes in my appearance (thinner face, make-up, slightly longer hair) when I look at pictures rather than dwelling on the negative (imperfect skin, still over 100lb to lose, etc) because it doesn't want to sabotage my efforts with negative self-perception!

What I'm really angling at is that when I look at pictures of myself now, I'm not 100% happy with what I see by any stretch of the imagination, but I am proud of myself for where I've gone and what I'm going. Besides, I'm sure I'll love having my fat pictures around to compare my goal pictures to once I'm finished losing weight!

When you look at pictures of yourself that you aren't particularly fond of, try forcing yourself to focus on one or two things that you are proud of or do like about yourself and focus on those and try to remind yourself that you've lost almost 25 pounds, that's nothing to scoff at!
Enduring Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #20  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

This is actually the reason I LIKE photos now, though I never did before - I see the truth of things, how I actually looked and look now, and how far I've come. I also see how skewed my self image was when I was younger. Nothing like being 'worse' to give you a perspective on how good you look now
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduring Infinity View Post
When you look at pictures of yourself that you aren't particularly fond of, try forcing yourself to focus on one or two things that you are proud of or do like about yourself and focus on those and try to remind yourself that you've lost almost 25 pounds, that's nothing to scoff at!
Yeah, this is totally right-it's nothing to snuff at! I did try to think of that while looking at the photo, but I was still disgusted with it. And the fact that I've lost almost 25lbs and still look gross was a bit disheartening. So I guess it's motivation to keep going and not give up, but it could easily be used as a "oh well, I'll never get there" excuse to give up. I totally don't feel that way, but I can see the possibility, I guess.

I guess it just makes me wonder if I'll ever be happy with a picture of myself, or myself in general, even when I get to goal weight. I guess it's possibly a bigger issue than just weight loss!

Edit: I sound so whiny! Sorry! I don't mean it that way. Anyway, I'm glad that other people have had similar experiances, it's great not to be alone!

Last edited by paris81; 03-29-2010 at 09:17 PM.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote