Gym mirrors!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I started back at the gym today. It's been...uh...three years. LOL! I have been working out at home, but DH needs to the gym, so I caved. I really do love the gym!! There are no distractions there, unlike home.

Anyway, I hopped on one of the ellipticals and glanced at myself in the mirror. The machine is positioned so that you catch yourself in the corner of two mirrors that meet at a 90 degree angle. Basically....*sigh*...it DOUBLES you!! What skinny genius did that?! And it's unavoidable. So I got to look at a red-faced woman double my size. And here I thought I was developing a better relationship with the mirror. LOL!
  • Sounds like a funny house mirror! At least when you look at yourself in a regular mirrior, you'll be thrilled with what you see!
  • Oh gosh, that's awful!

By the way, I once went to a 24-hour Fitness Center and noticed that in the women's dressing room, the mirrors made a person look thinner--sort of like the old "funhouse" mirrors at the fair, only much subtler. Funny, huh? I wondered if they were the same in the men's dressing room...

Jay
  • Our mirrors were like that at the Y too! I use to love getting a glimpse of myself in that skinny mirror! LOL!

I think tomorrow I'm going to take sunglasses with pictures of some skinny model taped to the insides so I have something more pleasant to look at. Or maybe a picture of the beach...
  • LOL
    My workout area is in our basement. My husband weight trains down there too and he insists on a floor length mirror right in front of my aerobic area. I usually get some unflattering glimpses when I do my side steps and lunges. I wonder why some people like mirrors when exercising. It seems like kind of an odd combination to me
  • I get the mirror thing for strength training. I like to keep my eye on my form. It's nice when I can think critically about my FORM and ignore my image. I find it helpful for squats so I can tell just how low I'm going. But not on the cardio equipment please!! There's no form on cardio equipment! Just a big ol' red face.
  • I agree it does help with form when doing weights, and squats, but god the image I am looking at.......pleassssseeee, ugh....... The duck wings, arse and jiggling......
  • Quote: I agree it does help with form when doing weights, and squats, but god the image I am looking at.......pleassssseeee, ugh....... The duck wings, arse and jiggling......
    For me it's the knees and thighs...but especially the knees. I tend to forget how big they are because they're usually concealed under pants or I only see them bent. I never see myself standing up and am always surprised by how big they are.
  • I work out at my school gym, which looks out over the track. So I'm conscious all the time that the track team gets to watch my sweaty, red face in the window.

But I know just what you mean. I hate the mirrors on the other side, facing the machines. I find it so awkward to watch myself...oh the places that can jiggle...
  • LOL-- luckily my Y doesn't have mirrors, although you can catch yourself in the window reflections... you know those people who turn LITERALLY BEET RED when exercising? I'm one of those. Even when I was younger and an actual jock I used to have that... but it's embarrassing. Although the plus side is that I always look like I'm working super hard.
  • I know how you feel! When I started at our health club, I hated seeing myself in the mirror. You know what though in time you will see a change, and love seeing the new you! The other day, I noticed how much smaller my face/neck was getting. I loved it! Congrats on your 40 lb loss!
  • There is nothing like having to assume a series of yoga poses in a studio with mirrors on three walls to bring humility (not to mention, a little humiliation) into your life, if you are fat or formerly fat or somewhere in between.

Gravity is not a friend of loose skin.
  • I like the mirrors so I can see myself exercising, but I hate when they make you look bigger then you are. I was at the Y yesterday with my boyfriend. When I was on the cardio machines the mirrors didn't make me look as large as the mirrors in the weight training section. The mirrors in the weight room made my stomach look enourmous.
  • lol I catch glimpses of myself in the reflection of our sliding glass door while exercising and it's not the most flattering

I like the idea of putting up a picture of a beach in place of your reflection
  • I started back at my Y after three years of neglect. I am tickeled that I made it 30 min on the treadmill 30 min. I know it isn't much, but I will add steadily. The mirrors in ours are in the weight area and there is a fabulous, wonderful wall between the cardio and weights (it's where they hang the tvs. I agree, I like the gym too, even if I feel like it is a place for already healthy people (not that they make me feel that way, just my own hangups) but there are no distractions, no "I should be...." I can disconnect and plug into the workout