Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #31  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

LitChick I am sooo proud of you and what you have accomplished! Wow, what an inspiration you are to all of us at 3FC and those you know you personally! I have always wanted to do a marathon, but can never seem to get myself up to the jogging capability to do it. Seeing you accomplish this has re-inspired me to try harder. Thank you!
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #32  
Workin' It

Congratulations honey! Fabulous! You are doing a triathlon next? Wow! You rock! I am not even considering that.

I ran the ING yesterday, too. Also seriously overestimated my time, so started in corral N as well. By the time it started I had wandered closer to K or L and grossed the start line right at 10 minutes. Honestly, I didn't pay a lick of attention to the clocks - starting later than clock start made my pace time band not be appropriate, so I just ran with my own GPS going in my ear. I did have a super light rain & water resistant poncho (just bought it Friday, thinner than a lot of the shirts people were wearing) but it stayed tied around my waist for a lot of the course. Was it oddly hot to you considering the weather around us or was that just me?

Did you sign up for the Peachtree? It is 10k, but 55 thousand people, compared to the 12 thousand of yesterday...

ETA - looks like they had 3500 people registered for the marathon and only 2,141 finished, depending on where you read they had 12-14,00 registered for the half but only 10,481 finishers. Think the weather kept people away or do you think people fell behind and got picked up by the 'lag trucks' and got medals but didn't log an official finish time?

So sad about the leader in the marathon getting disqualified because he missed a turn following the police pace cycle...

again on the run!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 03-22-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

Wowee!! That is incredible! Congratulations

I, like you, don't post A LOT but I do read A LOT, and this post is very inspiring to me. I am currently training for a half marathon relay (my first) and am...on the fence about running a half.

Your post may just tip me off the fence.

Congrats again!
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #34  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Wow, thanks for all of your replies! Honestly, I am still on a bit of a high from the whole thing. And I am completely humbled that I have been able to pay it forward a bit by inspiring others in return.

I went to the doctor today (for an unrelated issue) and mentioned my hip pain. He just told me to do as I've planned (cut back til it heals, stretching, etc.) and to try this foam roller thing from GoFit. It's like one of those pool noodles but fatter and not as long. I got one from Target and tried it tonight and it actually seemed to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl
You know, I just want to add that I CAN'T FREAKING BELIEVE how SKINNY you look in those pictures!!! WOW!
Wow, that IS an accomplishment, considering I was wearing spandex tights! There ain't no hiding in those things! Thanks, uber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaLady
I did a 5K walk Saturday, but after reading yours, I think my goal will be to do the 5K run next year. I know, 5K doesn't even compare to what you accomplished. But for an old lady that's never done anything physical, for me, it was a big accomplishment.
It most certainly does compare! It is all about making the effort and setting goals, and proving to yourself that you can do what you set your mind and body to do. I did my first 5K in October and it was what got me started. Have you looked at the C25K program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveLHaelf
My training plan may not be going the way I had originally planned, (I had wanted to run it more than walking, but will now alternate like you did) but I am going to cross that finish line!
I'm glad you're new doctor supports your goals and is giving you the tools to do so. And even more pleased to see that you are not letting a change in how you will achieve your goal stop you from achieving it! One of my favorite quotes I have heard in the past several days is: "You don't have to go fast. You just have to go." I think that applies well to both running and weight loss! Good luck in meeting your goals. I know you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon_in_ATL
I ran the ING yesterday, too. Also seriously overestimated my time, so started in corral N as well. ... Was it oddly hot to you considering the weather around us or was that just me? Did you sign up for the Peachtree? It is 10k, but 55 thousand people, compared to the 12 thousand of yesterday. ... Think the weather kept people away or do you think people fell behind and got picked up by the 'lag trucks' and got medals but didn't log an official finish time?
How funny that we not only both did it, but we were in the same starting corral! I wonder if we saw one another and didn't know it. I did find it warm but then I always find it warm when I run, plus I've never run as covered up as I was (I usually just wear tshirt and shorts). One of the first things I did after taking my shower when we got home was to register for the Peachtree! And glad I did, because it filled up later that day. I've never even seen the race so having a hard time imagining what 55,000 people will look like! I wouldn't think the weather was bad enough to keep people away but you never know. My husband said he saw a couple guys come in as they were packing up the starting line and ask them to stop and let them go. I guess they overslept!

Congratulations to you for completing the ING as well!

Last edited by LitChick; 03-22-2010 at 11:29 PM.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #35  
Workin' It

I imagine we did see each other - I was alone, so I was paying a lot of attention to the people around me for safety as well as curiosity. Now, can't say i remember distinct details about many... I sighed up for the Peachtree, too. Submitted my time from the Resolution Run on 1/1 for a placement spot, so have no idea where I will end up in that one. I saw that the only spots left were the 10,000 reserved for mail in lottery. Glad I got in!

One of the reasons some people were running up right at the start of the race was that the Southbound Marta train broke down - I'm not sure which one, but it impacted all the trains after it, might have even stopped some from running, so some people coming from the Northside got there right as it started. I ran into a friend from several years ago and she said she was one of the last people to start because she got there right as the last group was starting. I think she crossed the starting line at 7:25 or so?

Funny - I got a foam roller tonight, too. I think I have a love/hate relationship with it. In some places on my thighs it actually brought tears to my eyes, but it sure feels better now.

See you at the Peachtree! Hope the hip feels better soon. Take care of it!

I'm thinking I'll get up at 6 tomorrow and try for one of the early registration spots for next year... Pondering registering for the full, that gives me an entire year to change down if I need to...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 03-22-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #36  

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Great Job! You are very inspiring. My husband and I are starting the Couch to 5k today! I'm definitely not a runner, but just reading your story makes me feel like I can do it if I get up and try. Thanks for being such an inspiration. Good luck on the triatholon
peace4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #37  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

omg i wanna cry! what a rock star!!! amazing accomplishment, what a victory!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote