Old 03-12-2010, 11:50 PM   #16  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I've liked jeff galloway more than the cool running or hal higdon.

http://jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

I just liked the minutes breakout instead of the miles. The only time I had to worry about miles was the last day. Made it easier to deal with walking around outdoors to go with minutes.

I've only walked in races -- never run though.

GL!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-12-2010 at 11:51 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #17  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

The C25K is minutes, not miles. Actually there is a distance based one, but no-one I know has ever used this. There are a few other programs out there that get you up and running 5km from a couch potato base, but none of them are C25K.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #18  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

WOW! I am so excited to see all of you here! YAY!!

WildThings - I was thankful for the break in rain last night. I wasn't sure if I was going to get it in. It was such a beautiful night. Do you run in your neighborhood or go out to the Ponds? It looks like there is another track I see when I take Tussing towards 256. It was under construction forever, but I saw people on it a few days ago. I am not sure how to get on it. Do you know? I am just doing the neighborhood thing for now. Stoked to have a fellow Picktown-er on 3FC!

Primm - Thanks for the advice! Yes, I am running v-e-r-y slow. I will try to slow down some. My cardio fitness will catch up at some point. I am not sure that I could slow down much. I'm okay. Like birdtostone, the 60 seconds ends in the perfect amount of time.

Birdtostone - YAY! Congrats! I hear ya on the paranoid thing. I like to exercise in the late evening - even later than when I went out last night. It's a quiet time and not too many others are out. It's just like the gym, if anyone is looking at me, I hope they are feeling positive about me out there doing something about it.

uber - I'm sorry to hear about the injury! Feel better soon. I notice some movement on your ticker!

Crushed - Hi there! Thanks for joining! We'll be up to speed in no time!

ku - Yeah, yeah, I hear ya. Kids, responsibility, whatever! Just let some rattlers loose to keep 'em busy (Vegas Vacation) LOL! No prob! I will still be here. I am not sure about the 9 week part, so hop in whenever you can.

Traci - Hi there! Yeah, there was a link on the website to download them. I tried to do that first, and had trouble getting iTunes to recognize it so I just went directly to the iTunes store. Here's the generic link. I bet you could download the podcasts here and then sync them with your mp3player. I had a zune and its software is so overpowering that it wants to "take" anything I upload so I have to go direct to iTunes. I would imagine that you won't have that problem. http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/
I look forward to seeing your updates!

Rest day for me will be an hour on my stationary bike. I am a bit sore today and I slept like a baby last night.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #19  
Exercise is an addiction!

S/C/G: 208.8/ticker when allowed/155

Height: 5'6"

Goodmorning everyone.

I just finished W5D3 this morning and it's a killer (to me because I was a true couch potatoe)!!! BUT I did it and am very excited about it.

I know that some of you are just starting and some have been running but I would like to join in to help keep everyone (including myself) motivated!!!
Tomorrow morning I'm doing a practice 10K (walk/run) along the beach in Mississippi and then taking off til Tuesday when I will start my W6D1.

I have signed up for a 10K on April 3rd (should have done a 5K first) but time just does not permit.. I'm going to be doing a lot of walking for the 10K but hope to start running 5K's very soon!!

Let's get it guys!!!
PrettyPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #20  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 327.6/321.8/150

Height: 5'7"

How cool is this? A C25K with PARTICIPANTS!! I'm working with the 300+ board, but it's kind of fading out. Does anyone mind if I crash your board?

I'm using the Beginner Triathlete's 7 month Couch to 5K:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/ar...d=27&printer=1

I find that, so far, now that I'm back from my own ankle injury, it's been very manageable for me and fits right into my schedule without too much jockeying around. I have plans to WALK a couple of 5K's in April and August, with the one I run being in late September. That one's special. It's for an agency that assists Deaf and Hard of Hearing people in Kansas City, where I'm from. I have a 16-year-old daughter who has been Deaf from birth, so it's close to my heart. I figured I couldn't get better motivation than that!
lavieboheme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #21  
Positive Focus

lavieboheme - Welcome, welcome! So glad to have you here! What a wonderful motivation! Does your plan break up the intervals or do you literally walk for the specified time and then run for the specified time? Maybe you can choose your intervals?

Pretty Pearls - I would l-o-v-e to exercise on the beach. Too cool!

Tomorrow is Day 2. I am psyching myself up for it. No residual ankle pain today, so I think I will be okay tomorrow that way.

Let's do this!! Go us!!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

Hey I will definitely join you! I did my first day of the program tonight and it went great! I hope to keep it up!
Jessica88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 273/219/145

Height: 5'5"

I have been wanting to do this too. Can you tell me which podcast you downloaded? I searched it and was overwhelmed with the options. I haven't done anything with podcasts yet so I'm not sure how to deal with that.

I'm trying to find somewhere close by to walk/run. My neighborhood is unacceptable for it.
slimsilhouette2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #24  
Exercise is an addiction!

S/C/G: 208.8/ticker when allowed/155

Height: 5'6"

Slims,

I'm not sure about the others, but I have an ipod touch and an iphone so I downloaded mine for $2.99 from iTunes (they do have a free podcast download online at the c25K site) but iTunes puts it all together and makes it compatibale with my Nike+ shoes and music.

Does anyone else use the Nike+ shoes?? I LOVE MINE!!! I'm actually looking to get another pair for my birthday in June!! I bought my first pair in January when I decided to get off the sofa and start moving!! I'm also using a body bugg!! This journey is going to be long, but if anything; I'm prepared!!!

Okay, lets see if its warm enough for me to do this 10K
PrettyPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #25  
Positive Focus

Slim - I found it for free on iTunes - no Nike part, though. I went ahead and downloaded all 9 and just plan the week that I am on. For non-iPod, there is a link further up in the thread. For iTunes, search "couch to 5K", then click on the Robert Ullrey picture and you'll see the breakout of all of the podcasts. I tried to do a screen paste, but I can't. If you have trouble, pm me and I will email you the screen print.

Jessica! You'll keep it up! We'll be here cheering you on!

So, my day 2 report:

I went out early because it's supposed to rain all day. I also brough my 9 year old daughter with me. I don't know if it's the time of day, having the pleasant distraction or a teensy bit of progress from day 1, but it was easier today!! YAY! Not, easy, but easier. I kept to my promises and had only a little bit of achilles pain at the end. And I will say that my sports bra is worth its weight in gold! Wow! I bought it last year just for walking, but those puppies didn't dance at all during the run and I was completely comfortable!! (Other than the obvious cardio struggle, of course! LOL!) I am just really, really excited that I have been able to do it and without ankle pain. I was pretty worried Friday that it wouldn't be possible after all. I really think this is going to happen!!

Great Job Ladies!! Keep up the GREAT work!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 280/265/140

Height: 5'6

Welcome everyone! Glad to see more participants.

I had a rough day yesterday. I was not in a great mood due to a certain "higher" at my job yesterday and it really didn't get better when I got home.
I almost forgot that I had a run to do, but I finally remembered and went out despite it all. I ended up feeling completely displaced afterwards. I felt very bodyless. Is that what they call a runner's high? It didn't hit while I was running, but afterwards. It was like I was aware that I was angry but I didn't care enough to linger on it then.

Much better day today! Thank goodness. My next run date is on a wednesday though. I have different workouts inbetween, but does two days seem like too long inbetween?

Today is a complete rest day. I haven't decided if I'm going to even attempt to do anything light simply because I go from school to home for lunch to school to work on most Mondays and I'm afraid I'll be worthless by the end of the day. Lol

Also, I downloaded those podcasts... But they don't play music? Were they supposed to? All I get are the times when you're supposed to run/walk and silence inbetween.
birdtostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #27  
Positive Focus

Birdtostone - they play the music that ullrey put in them. It's kind of techno-ish. Not my preference, but okay. I have heard of versions that are just the timing and that you can put them "over" your own music, but don't know how/or want to do it myself. Maybe that's the kind you downloaded?

I TOTALLY feel 100% better after a good workout. It can change the day for sure.

I thought the same thing about the 2 days, but I think my ankle will need it, so I am not going to push it. I think I am going to stay with Friday, Sunday, Tuesday. Like you, on Mondays, I don't want to do much (I'll ride my stationary bike). Fridays and Sundays are usually my slower days. It's a good schedule for me. If I did every other day it would throw off that schedule. Isn't it amazing, though, that we already are "missing" the run!?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #28  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Height: 5'7

Can I join you guys? I won't be starting till later this week because I religiously do zumba M, Tu, and Wed., but needed something to fill in the rest of the week and thought this would be great...if it won't be too late to do this with you girls!!!

Beachbreeze - what did you do to your Achilles's tendon? I minutely tore mine about 6 weeks ago, that was a miserable feeling, but I'm okayed by my doc to start running...so we'll see how it goes.
pokeycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #29  
Have faith...

S/C/G: 325/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

If you're looking for good music underneath the running instructions, the one I use has good music (Coldplay, Beyonce, etc...) and it's free.

http://runningintoshape.com

I'm onto W2D1 tomorrow.

Joni
Crushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

We had a C25K thread going down in EXERCISE, but it's kind of petering out, so I guess I'll join here.

I pulled a quad muscle last Thurs, so I took off Fri, Sat, and Sun. Today, I was planning to walk and maybe run a little, but I noticed it wasn't bothering me so I just went ahead and completed W6D3-- the first 25 minute run. I did it on the indoor track, which normally I find a little harder than the treadmill-- it's more crowded and small so there is a lot of dodging people and turning. In any case, I did run very slow and I was tired at the end, but I managed fine. It wasn't one of my great ones, where I feel like I can keep going forever, but it wasn't that bad either.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote