Old 03-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/TickTickBoom/ST-220

Height: 5'6

Default Workplace is noticing...

I haven't told anyone at work that I've changed my eating habits and started exercising to become a healthier me. I don't know why I don't want to, I just don't think they need to know as of yet. Maybe when my weight loss is noticeable? I know in the past attempts to lose weight we've sort of loomed over each other watching what the other is eating. We're all overweight here. I guess that's why I've held back on them.

Anyway, the small office I work for noticed that I didn't eat from this Italian place with them Monday, hot dog/burger place with them Tuesday, and today I didn't order Chinese with them. Since Friday I've heard, in sort of a teasing manner, "Are you on a diet? You must be on a diet." (mentioned twice from my coworker yesterday and once today from my boss) and even an "Oh, you're so healthy" in regards to my baby carrots snack from my boss. I tell them I'm not, simply because I'm not. My food choices are not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. I even brought up the fact that I rarely order with them due to it being a costly habit, and rarely eat Chinese since it makes me so sleepy. That didn't seem to help any.

Any one else deal with this? Any one have a way to get them to stop asking me without going and splurging on very unhealthy food with them? We're a close-knit group, it's just a bit annoying to be hearing it so often.
Gourmet Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #2  

I have the same problem in the office I'm in. They have noticed the loss and have asked what I'm doing. I am just honest and say, making a lifestyle change. One lady even tells me every so often how I'm not "fun" anymore because I don't indulge in the sinful lunches and sweet treats people bring in.

Other than that, I just don't talk about things. If a rude comment comes my way, I send it back.
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

This may sound strange - but, if you tell folks at work you are pre-diabetic or your cholesterol is slightly elevated - then, folks will be very respectful of any food changes you make. That you need to be careful of carbs or unheathy fats. If they think you are on a 'diet' or a 'lifestyle change' -somehow it's different than if you are doing it for another health reason. (although diet and lifestyle changes are very much a health reason) It's crazy - At least that is my experience over the years.

If people ask - I usually say prediabetic. Then they stay out of my eating ways - until I want them to know what's what. This has worked for me for many years - work, school, parties etc.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-03-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have dealt with a similar situation at work. At first I did not even want anyone noticing my change of eating habits but, after losing about 50 pounds, everyone realized what I am doing. Now, everyone is used to it and it is no big deal. Everyone knows that I am not going to eat the junk that people keep bringing to the office. They don't even ask any more. When some of us go out to eat, they do ask me for suggestions of places to go.

Keep up the good work, stay consistent and everyone at work will adjust. After awhile it will not be a big deal. You may even find that some of them ask you for advice about how to eat.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #5  

I definitely don't talk about it, although sometimes I want to rave about awesomely delicious my sandwich on whole wheat with lean turkey is. I know that'll bring on the comments.

Thankfully, I haven't gotten a "not fun" remark. I'd definitely shoot something back if that was the case. The coworker I was speaking of was upset that I didn't eat this sweet roll thing she brought in last week. I told her I don't care for them and was taking it home for my brother (who also happens to be my roommate). That seemed to quiet her down.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #6  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

Almost everyone I work with is over weight. Yesterday we went to Chinese for a birthday for the second time in three weeks. Having learned my lesson from the previous birthday lunch, I ordered a large soup and settled for that. When asked I said I was leaving room for the cake (low fat, low sugar, no frosting, made by me so I can make it healthier but tasty ) They wouldn't drop it.
Of the five of us, two are not trying to lose weight, one was but gave up and then there is me, I have been losing slowly but consistantly since I joined the group a year and a half ago.
Sometimes people project their own insecurities (failures?) on to you.

Last edited by knobhdy; 03-03-2010 at 01:54 PM.
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #7  

I'm neither prediabetic or on the verge of high cholesterol. But that's definitely something to consider for parties and such, just not work since they know me so well. Thank you for the idea.

I hope my office can adjust as yours did, Cheryl. Thanks for the hope
Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #8  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Not that I reccomend this, but I cut my hair after I lost about 15lbs. People keep commenting on it but not my shrinking hips. I don't eat with people here and never have, so that part is a relief. Unlike a lot of you, most of the people I work with are thin, so I always felt self conscious eating around them anyway. At some point, I am sure someone will mention the loss, but so far it's been pretty quiet. My feelings get hurt pretty easily, so if someone did say something, I know it would be hard.

I did have an awkward moment last week when a carrier rep came in for his 6 month visit and didn't recognize me. He introduced himself to me and when I said my name, I could tell he was a bit embarrased, but no one said anything. I think the 20lbs is noticeable, but honestly it was probably more my haircut. Either way, it gives me a mental "out" because I am not internalizing things as badly.

At some point, I will have to deal with the public nature of it. I can't cut my hair again! Well, I could, but it be Britany Spears' look to get the same dramatic effect.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #9  

Gourmet Bean - I am not pre-diabetic or have high cholesterol either - but, I use it as a 'little white lie' once in a while when I feel like it's necessary.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBreeze2010 View Post
Not that I reccomend this, but I cut my hair after I lost about 15lbs.
Hmm... Ya know, I do need a haircut....
Old 03-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #11  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

My office has noticed too...I'm not super secretive about it but I also turn down all the lunch invites and skirt the treat table in the break room. I've been told too that "You are no fun anymore" by a friend at work. I felt like it was sabotage at first but now just sluff it off and go about my business. I have too much to do to worry about what other people are thinking. (that's a bit of a fib as it did hurt to be told I'm not fun anymore). I just try to focus on getting healthy and figure the people at work will forget about it soon enough.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I think it's always a weird situation when it comes to co-workers and healthy eating/weight loss. I haven't specifically said anything, but I'm bringing a big salad every day and have stopped bringing in take out food lunches. And I consistently pass up the treats, although fortunately, they aren't not a very frequent thing for my particular team (although in some departments, there is always a TON of junk food around). So far, no one has commented one way or the other. I suppose that's a good thing, and better than being pressured to eat high calorie foods or told that I'm not fun.

I guess maybe I'd go as far as to make a vague reference to "eating healthier and saving some money" and leave it at that, not get into the details that you are trying to lose weight, even people that don't need to lose weight can make better choices, right? And just say the same thing any time it comes up, so it becomes a boring subject and hopefully something they won't bother to talk about any more.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #13  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy View Post
This may sound strange - but, if you tell folks at work you are pre-diabetic or your cholesterol is slightly elevated - then, folks will be very respectful of any food changes you make. That you need to be careful of carbs or unheathy fats. If they think you are on a 'diet' or a 'lifestyle change' -somehow it's different than if you are doing it for another health reason. (although diet and lifestyle changes are very much a health reason) It's crazy - At least that is my experience over the years.

If people ask - I usually say prediabetic. Then they stay out of my eating ways - until I want them to know what's what. This has worked for me for many years - work, school, parties etc.
That's so true! I hadn't thought about it before, but that's so true! And I use health excuses over weight. It's just easier somehow.

I like the blood pressure excuse. "I'm trying to lower my blood pressure without meds." It totally gets people off your back and is less embarrassing.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
That's so true! I hadn't thought about it before, but that's so true! And I use health excuses over weight. It's just easier somehow.

I like the blood pressure excuse. "I'm trying to lower my blood pressure without meds." It totally gets people off your back and is less embarrassing.
That's a good one! I had not thought of that 'excuse'. Thanks.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-03-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #15  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

I am a one-man-band here....I work from my home office, so I don't have those pressures, however, previously I did.

One thing that helped me on food was to tell everyone that I was on a TIGHT budget, that we have some huge financial goals so I won't be eating out that I have to bring my lunch and snacks. It's easy to ring up how much people spend WEEKLY on eating out, show them the math. $7 a day times 5 = $35 a week x 4 = $136 a month you'd rather spend on something else and they should think about that too.

Just my .02 (literally)
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote