So conflicted about the way I look

• My body is weirding me out. From first look, it looks like my legs are a lot smaller, but they are more muscular. I don't do machines, just Jillian Michaels video with 3 pound weights. Squats and lunges. I feel so strong. Yet, I feel like my legs feel so much bigger when I sit. I don't know if it's the effect of muscles or what. In the mirror it looks like I'm smaller, but once I put on jeans, I feel so big. I feel like my quads have gotten muscular, and I'm not sure if I like the way that looks! Yet, a lot of fat is gone.

Then I wonder if I should just restrict my eating and not exercise as hard because I'm getting all muscular. It doesn't help that I have small boobs, too, so I don't feel very feminine. I put on a bikini the other day, and I could tell DH didn't like the way it looked. I'm taking swim lessons, so basically I shouldn't be wearing a bikini, but I didn't really get favorable feedback despite that.

DH has told me he doesn't like muscular women, which kind of makes me stray from all my exercise. I have tiny little arm muscles now. Even my triceps look decent. They look thinner, but more fit. It's like I sabotage myself because I feel too muscular. Ironically, he's starting to do some weightlifting now. He's about 125 pounds and 5'8, and I've weighed more than him at times.

So what the **** do I do, just eat a whole lot less, do only Pilates, so I can be SKINNY? and not smaller and fit and strong? I hate Pilates, LOL.

The whole muscle thing interferes with being super skinny. Notice how many people at the Olympics AREN'T super skinny?
  • There are two types of muscles, strength muscles and endurance muscles. If you don't want to be muscular in appearance you want endurance muscles. This means smaller weights with more repetitions. It also means cardio. My legs get kind of big so I'm completely skipping out on weights or anything with my legs except the cardio (running, walking, elliptical, bike, etc). If they ever get too skinny looking, which is impossible for me, I would do some weights.

But you say your not doing too much with your legs, perhaps you are just not used to seeing your muscles. Maybe you aren't as bulky as you think.
  • LabMonkeyGirl, Did you intend to post this in the 100 pound club (people who have 100 pounds or more to lose)? One of the other forums might be able to help you more as we don't have much experience with super skinny.
  • Hey. Jillian Michaels is alot of using your own body weight for strength training. I would suggest to try to do some Pilates and Yoga. The purpse of Pilates is to stretch your muscles out and make them long and lean instead of bulky. Buy a Pilates video, they are great. Very relaxing, but they can still get your heart rate up depending on what level you are!

Sorry I didn't read the end of your post about hating pilates till after I wrote this lol. I think it works though, sorry you hate it. I love it. Have you tried Yoga or possibly other versions.
  • Quote: LabMonkeyGirl, Did you intend to post this in the 100 pound club (people who have 100 pounds or more to lose)? One of the other forums might be able to help you more as we don't have much experience with super skinny.
    I am so sorry! I misinterpreted what this forum was for! Is there a mod that can move this anywhere else that may be more appropriate? shall I contact them?
  • Quote: Hey. Jillian Michaels is alot of using your own body weight for strength training. I would suggest to try to do some Pilates and Yoga. The purpse of Pilates is to stretch your muscles out and make them long and lean instead of bulky. Buy a Pilates video, they are great. Very relaxing, but they can still get your heart rate up depending on what level you are!

Sorry I didn't read the end of your post about hating pilates till after I wrote this lol. I think it works though, sorry you hate it. I love it. Have you tried Yoga or possibly other versions.
    I will give the Pilates a try again. I gave up on it because it's too hard, but it's worth trying it. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Quote: There are two types of muscles, strength muscles and endurance muscles. If you don't want to be muscular in appearance you want endurance muscles. This means smaller weights with more repetitions. It also means cardio. My legs get kind of big so I'm completely skipping out on weights or anything with my legs except the cardio (running, walking, elliptical, bike, etc). If they ever get too skinny looking, which is impossible for me, I would do some weights.

But you say your not doing too much with your legs, perhaps you are just not used to seeing your muscles. Maybe you aren't as bulky as you think.
    Thank you--I do think cardio is the key here!