Old 02-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #1  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Default bored bored bored bored bored

I'm doing the same things all the time. Pretty much eating similar foods (things I know the calorie content of and I rarely cook), and I do pretty much the same exercise routine each week. I need some excitement, something different.

I'm sort of in a rut.

I've been trying to do things more with friends but I don't really drink anymore and the weather is still too cold to get people to want to go for walks/ runs.

When you get in a rut, what have you done? Any advice on how to get excited about this all again? I feel like I'm losing my mojo. I've still been losing weight, but I'm sort of feeling this great big "meh" right now.

Last edited by matt_H; 02-22-2010 at 02:38 PM.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #2  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I was THERE this fall. Hugely there. And I don't KNOW how I got out of the rut... it just kinda happened. I do know I started looking at stats and looking at how far I had come and everything I have now that I didn't before... that helped. FAKING excitement helped. Switching my foods up a bit helped too... maybe try some new condiments or find a new calorie free drink.

I hope you get out of it soon *mega hugs*
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

I'm there too...but I kind of don't mind right now. It's just so easy to do the same thing and, sometimes, when I try to branch out, I start thinking about all of the food I dont eat anymore and wanting it again. Maybe you could join a running club or something?
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I am slowly pulling myself out of a rut right now....I picked up a new cookbook, using a lot of colors in my meals & putting myself out there more in public. I've been practicing my guitar more and just rocking out by myself to relax!

Making an effort to just tweak little things you know you can change is a start
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #5  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I just took a new profile picture (my camera is in the office and that picture was taken like 30 seconds ago) so that is something new. Hey, its better than nothing, right?

Joining a running club is a great idea...also, maybe joining some walking meetup group or something.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #6  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

How about inviting people over to play games or cards. It can be done without alcohol or they can BYOB if you want. Winter is a hard time of year...I know I am getting cabin fever and I love staying home!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I try on all the clothes in my closet.

New profile pics are great. Maybe make a collage of your journey.

Part of the problem may simply be that you have cabin fever. That's not at all uncommon right now. Maybe invite folks over to watch a game? I have some friends coming over Sunday to watch gold medal hockey for the olympics.

I've been watching the Food channel lately. I'll run through the guide and look for foods I don't know what to do with but want to eat and I record that show.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #8  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Matt- I think it is great that you are sticking with it. ***Great new profile pic by the way.

As far as hitting a rut- what do you do for working out? If you go to a gym maybe you could start taking a new class... Or if you workout at home you could try a new Wii workout game or exercise video. And, like the other poster said, you could try joining a local health activities club.

I feel for you about struggling with being social and healthy. That is one of my biggest issues right now. I am trying to get out more and be more social.. while also not drinking or eating poorly. And, like you said, there's still too much snow to really get some friends outside. (That and I hate winter so I don't like being outside when it is cold, icy, and snowy.)
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

how bout taking a martial arts class or kickboxing or something! Once I am a little more fit, that is what I want to do!
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Just got an e-mail from travelocity with SUPER cheap airfares. Thinking of taking my DH on a weekend trip somewhere - even if we don't have anything in particular to do there. Just a change of scenery, you know? I'm so sick of snow I could SCREAM!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #11  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I'm in the same boat - we should all sail somewhere fun in it!

I think I'm bored with my life in general, but it's scary to break out and try new things (for me, anyway). I'm thinking of volunteering somewhere to get out of the house more, having people over to my house, just getting out into the world and enjoying the fact that I don't feel nearly so self-conscious as I used to.

As for the weight loss, it's slow going for me these days and that is contributing to my boredom. Watching paint dry would be more fun and less frustrating... But I'm not giving up, that's just life - doing what you're supposed to do even when it's not fun.

Wouldn't it be nice if the 100lb Club all lived in the same town and we could all do fun things together?
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #12  
This is my year!

S/C/G: 291/252/150

Height: 5'4"

Wink Step out of your box.

Hey Matt, First off, kudos to the weight loss. You rock

The first thing that stuck with me is that you had said, "you lost your mojo." And, I thought that perhaps you could step out of your box or comfort zone and just do something different.

Maybe do some volunteer work and see how that makes you feel.
Maybe it's not all about finding some other form of exercise or maybe it's not about cooking or lack of cooking, or maybe it's not about eating the same ole' things.
Maybe it's about......doing for someone else.

Just a thought.
You'd be surprised how it feels and perhaps it might bring back that mojo and then some.

And, again Matt, kudos to the weight loss.

KELLI
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #13  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

What about a healthy cooking class? When you said you didn't cook I didn't know if it was because it's a pain in the rear to cook for one person (my experience!) or if you didn't really know how. You might meet some nice people with common goals there...
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Lightbulb into the blahs?

Well, maybe find a buddy who wants to do a new workout routine? I live too far away to walk with ya sorry You could take up swimming at the local rec maybe? I got bored with my workout in general, and bought a trampoline and am looking into a weighted hula hoop

If you're bored with the food, maybe look around to see what spices you can add to things, I dunno I get bored with food too, causes some of my bad eating. Maybe try a new mix... I find adding apples and nuts to a salad and using a vinaigrette is quite a change from my love of ranch dressing salads! Eh, just an idea.

If you like fish maybe that? With shrimp you could grill them as kabobs with other stuff...
NightAngel26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #15  
I'm in here...somewhere!

S/C/G: 290/250/150

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up

You may not have this problem, but for me, variety is dangerous, especially in the food I eat. I've been eating the same healthy things for a while, trying to desensitize myself to food stimuli. If I'm not careful I get way too excited about food, because I love to cook, and then I want to experiment all throughout the grocery store! Yikes!
I agree with the suggestions to volunteer. I'm in the winter doldrums, too, but my goal this spring is to start volunteering at the local animal shelter, and get out of my own head a bit.
Good luck with finding your own variety, love the new pic, and congratulations on your weight loss so far! You are definitely an inspiration!

[I just love this little carrot!]

Last edited by merrie; 02-22-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: misspelling!
merrie is offline   Reply With Quote