Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #1  

Talking Never "working out" again! An epiphany...

I already shared this with some of you but I wanted to spread the good news, if you will. I had an epiphany last night.

I WILL NEVER EXERCISE FOR EXERCISE'S SAKE AGAIN!!!!

I go dancing with my friends and family. I play dance and fitness games with my Wii. I mall walk every morning. In the nicer weather I ride my bike in the bright beautiful sun. Why shouldn't I concentrate on getting my fitness from things I enjoy?

So, I’ve decided that I will no longer force myself to do the traditional exercises that make me so miserable. No more making myself feel badly for not slogging to the gym in the morning, cursing because I forgot my flip flops for the shower. No more crying my way through tedious aerobics classes led unnaturally perky people. No more C-SPAN-ingly boring hours on the treadmill. I won’t do that to myself anymore.

No, from now on, I will do what I enjoy – something fun and active and heart pumping - for at least 30 minutes, 6 days per week (and since I’m enjoying it, I’ll probably go longer). I’ll also research how to add weight training in some way to make it fun. I’m very excited about this! Spread the good news!

Last edited by soulnik; 02-20-2010 at 09:51 AM.
soulnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Funny, I was just sitting here trying to convince myself to pick up where I left off with my bands, and free weights when your post caught my eye. I have to say that there have been times when I have looked forward to exercising, but right now I wish I could think of an activity that would also include pleasure, and still produce results. The weather here doesn't lend itself to much outdoor activity this time of year. I am also on avery limited budget right now, so classes are out. What are your ideas ?

Last edited by marigrace; 02-20-2010 at 09:55 AM.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 129/120.6/118

Height: 5'4.5

I tried doing that, but I feel like the day-to-day activities aren't high intensity enough. How often do I really play Wii? When people come over, like once per month, and even so, we go out to eat and watch a movie. I walk all over town and never lost a pound. I feel like unless you are out of breath, sweating, for 30-45 minutes then it's tough to lose any weight. and it seems like unless you up the intensity from time to time, you can plateau very quickly.

Then again, I'm not a very active person. Going out and being outside taking pictures doesn't help me lose weight, nothing does but exercise videos and weights.

I would like to run outside, but Wi winters don't really allow that!

Last edited by LabMonkeyGirl; 02-20-2010 at 10:10 AM.
LabMonkeyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #4  

I think I just thought of a way to make my routine more fun. It involves the use of imagination. I am going to go downstairs and start with some shoulder presses, and while I am doing the shoulder presses I will be picturing how hot I'mgoing to look when I can fit into a little black dress that has been hiding in my attic. That ought to do it for now.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

I hope you can get enough exercise this way. Dancing really burns the calories and I've heard good things about the Wii.

I've been back at the Y for four months now, and I can't tell you how much better I feel. I do the "drudge" things like 1/2 hour on the treadmill and a circuit of all the weight machines (I can finally see good muscles in my arms) and then the fun part is to swim for at least 1/2 hour afterwards.

I have noticed that during the day there are loads of seniors there, people in their mid-80s who work out EVERY day. Watching them is a real inspiration. There's even one man who is using a cane, he hobbles from one weight machine to another. If he can do it there's no reason I can't.

For the first time ever my blood sugar level was above 100, so I plan to try and get even more exercise. At my age I think not exercising is not going to work at all.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #6  

I walk at least 2 miles a day at the mall. I play Wii almost every night. I have a game called Just Dance and also the Wii Active which I think I'm gonna trade in for Dance, Dance Revolution. It makes me feel like I'm working out with a trainer so I tend to avoid it. I work up quite a sweat with the dance game. I make sure to stay in my target heart rate by checking my pulse while walking and doing the Wii. I'm buying a heart rate monitor next week to make sure I'm doing the maximum amount of work needed.

I've also found some fun dance aerobics routines on Comcast On Demand: Cardioke and Bollywood. They don't feel like exercise because you're learning a dance routine. And then sometimes I just put on some good music and dance around my apartment.

The point is to get your heart beating.
soulnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

I have a friend who does the Bollywood, that looks like lots of fun! It does sound like you're getting good exercise daily.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #8  

Wow...dance...that sounds great, I think I'll try that too !
Old 02-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 129/120.6/118

Height: 5'4.5

That's very inspirational, OP. I think if everyone made an effort to just be more active in their daily lives, it would really provide a lot of health benefits!
LabMonkeyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #10  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I have been wanting to get that Dance game as well. Looks like fun - my concern is will I burn enough calories doing that? I do the EA Sports Active 4 days a week and treadmill 5 - 6 days a week.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/150

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I just started at the YMCA about 3 weeks ago. I dont like to go walk\run on the treadmill as I think I am going no where. I have been taking Zumba classes. They are so much fun. It is latin dance classes. I love to Dance so this is the class for me. Plus I really get an awesome workout without thinking that it is a workout. I still do take jazzercise sculpting classes as I need to start to build more muscles.
uclr0028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #12  
Out is Through

Smile

I love your enthusiasm! Very uplifting and changing the way I think about exercise

Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #13  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I love taking Zumba classes at the gym, and I do so 3 to 4 times per week. On the off days, I use Wii Fit, which is also fun! I don't always feel like exercising, but I LOVE the endorphins afterward.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #14  
Now Mom to 5

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 5' 5"

I love your attitude. All my friends I know who lost 100lbs and who have kept over 2 years say they had to find something fun that they enjoy doing to keep them active. They told me at different times it looks different. Maybe during the spring it means running with kids or walking while the kids bike. In the winter in may be the Wii or something else. They mix it up and enjoy it. I want to get to that point where it does not seem like drudgery. I have to say I love the hula hoop on the Wii Fit. DH hates in but I do it time after time and it always gets my heart to moving.
MomtoThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #15  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

It is wonderful that you have found so many ways to exercise that you enjoy. I have always read that people keep exercise up so much better when they do that. Sadly, I will be exercising just for exercise's sake.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote