Am I fooling myself?

• This is the first week that I haven't lost weight. It's been bouncing around this week give or take a pound (I know this since I weigh daily). My activity level has increased (water class 3x a week, 45 min sessions). I have not decreased or increased my calories.

In anticipation of the scale numbers not moving down I am trying to mentally prepare myself. I am wondering (justifying???) if it's not necessarily a plateau coming my way because....maybe I am building muscle? I see muscle definition where there was none before. I am also loosing inches and have gone down one size in my top and bottom.

So, is it possible that there will not be a plateau? Just a period of readjustment, where I am building muscle, therefore I will not see a drop in wt for awhile? As long as I am losing inches, am I not at a plateau? It would really help me to think I have not stalled!

I guess I need to know the defintion of plateau!

I am so glad I decided to start measuring my waist, because in the past not losing wt would have derailed me BIG TIME! I have lost a total of 6 inches, an 1 1/2 of that in the last month. I haven't measured anything else because my biggest concern is getting my waist size down to eliminate future health issues associated with belly fat.
  • I am by no means an expert, but I always thought that is what plateaus were - periods when your body was running around readjusting things for you. When I have plateaued my measurements continued to change a bit, so I clung to that for dear life. I keep all that data pretty much, so I can not forget the big picture (so to speak).
  • I've often wondered what most people considered a plateau also.

I did the same thing this past month, added exercise and "plateaued" as far as I was concerned because the scale didn't budge up or down. It's finally moving again so I'm a little more upbeat about it now. It took a good full month for things to move again, but I am so much stronger, have much more endurance and my BP is almost normal!! 122/70 last night.

I now track weight, waist and BP to keep me motivated. As long as my BP is going in the right direction, who could possibly complain, ya know?
  • I hit a nasty plateau a couple of years ago while I was doing WW. It lasted about a month, and it was right around the 200lb mark. In fact, I think it was when I was at like 201-202 because I remember being extra frustrated that onederland was so close but I couldn't seem to get there.

Just hang in there. It'll happen.
  • Plateau or not a plateau?? That is the question!
    It's only been a week. It's really too early to tell.
    Keep doing what you've been doing and eventually the scale will go down. In the meantime, keep track of your measurements to see your progress.