3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Sleep. Oh, blissful sleep! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/193833-sleep-oh-blissful-sleep.html)

absster 02-10-2010 12:32 PM

Sleep. Oh, blissful sleep!

I've been plagued by sleep apnea, insomnia, and sleep paralysis for years now. I know some of that can be from being overweight and I also come from a family of sleeping problems.

I've been working out this week and have dedicated myself to working out at least 6 days a week and taking it a little bit lighter on a couple of those days. These past 2 nights, after hitting the elliptical after we put our daughter down for bed, I come home and am pretty ready to go to bed. Once I finally get to sleep-it has been so deep and wonderful! I wake up feeling more refreshed for the day!

So far, I'm only 9lbs down from my start a couple of weeks ago and have been stuck between 230-233. But I really think that the exercise is giving me some of the best sleep I've had in a long time!

It has got me to wondering if any of you have had similar experiences with sleeping better on your journey!?

WarMaiden 02-10-2010 12:35 PM

Quitting caffeine was the first thing I did to improve my health, in April 2008, and it was the key to finally getting the sleep I needed--which has been immensely important in achieving my weight loss and health improvements. I firmly believe that good, solid sleep is crucial to health.

For me, exercise has never seemed to affect my sleep one way or another. Rather, it's all about my food and substance intake. Cutting out caffeine and sugar helped me, and recently I have also added a 500 mcg melatonin supplement to my routine, which seems to help as wel.

time2lose 02-10-2010 01:37 PM

I think of sleep and weight loss/gain like chicken/egg. Not sleeping well led to eating for energy which led to weight gain which led to not sleeping well which led to ....

When losing weight, I slept better so I found it easier to eat healthily which led to losing weight which led to sleeping better which led to .... This is the cycle that I prefer!

absster 02-10-2010 01:39 PM

I know quitting the caffeine has got to be one of my bigger accomplishments that has been helping my sleep. For me though, I've been good on that and food for awhile. It was just until recently when I added in going to the gym that has really helped me get the great sleep!

That's great that you were able to find something that helps you. You are absolutely right in that sleeping is so crucial to our health. It makes such a world of difference. If I have problems with my sleep paralysis throughout the night, I'm worthless for the rest of the day. It's exhausting!

absster 02-10-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by time2lose (Post 3145781)
I think of sleep and weight loss/gain like chicken/egg. Not sleeping well led to eating for energy which led to weight gain which led to not sleeping well which led to ....

When losing weight, I slept better so I found it easier to eat healthily which led to losing weight which led to sleeping better which led to .... This is the cycle that I prefer!

So, so, so true!!! I'm loving it so far!

calluna 02-10-2010 03:33 PM

My only sleeping problem is a six month old puppy, and at least I know that she'll resolve after a while. I really wish you well in the quest for better sleep; sleep deprivation is, imho, a truly terrible thing to have to deal with.

TempleBody 02-10-2010 11:05 PM

I always had trouble with insomnia or sleeping during the day. Now that I work out alot its all better. :D 5 days in the gym and I proper eating has me feeling so energetic.

WarMaiden 02-11-2010 12:27 PM

After experiencing a night of crappy sleep with a lot of waking up last night, I am remembering that active weight loss can actually lead to crappy sleep. So it's even more important, when trying to lose weight, to do all the "other stuff" that will help with good sleep--a regular schedule, cutting out caffeine, exercise, melatonin, etc.

cfmama 02-11-2010 12:47 PM

Oh gosh ya. I suffered badly from undiagnosed sleep apnea. I tossed and turned and kept my husband awake all night. I had to wake every time I rolled over too in order to heft my bulk around. It was pretty much **** I tell ya!

Once I lost about 50 pounds things got sooooo much better!!!!!

Michelle98272 02-11-2010 04:55 PM

I've only lost about 9 lbs so I don't notice my sleep improving. I've always been a light sleeper and have insomnia. I have the kind of insomnia that wakes me up at 2:00 am and doesn't let me go back to sleep. The Dr. called it "terminal insomnia" meaning at the end of sleep. I thought it sounded quite ominous!

If anything, I've noticed that I am sleeping a little bit worse. I haven't included exercise, per se just increasing activity.