3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Roll Call!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/192500-roll-call.html)

calluna 01-28-2010 03:46 PM

a trifle ot... and a little giggle... all of us seem to have had bad picture experiences at one point or another...does that mean that we should change the old saying to "A picture is worth a thousand pounds?" ;)

calluna

LovebirdsFlying 01-28-2010 03:52 PM

Don't let my post count fool you. I'm pretty new, but I'm a compulsive poster.

My name is Raya. I live in the Pacific Northwest, moved here from Kentucky almost 3 years ago. Adjusting to the climate has been a bit tough, but I found love, and that makes it worthwhile. I'm married (a year and counting) with two grown daughters, one in heaven, and one grandson. I attend a clubhouse for people like me with disabilities, with the goal of getting back into the work force.

I've been fat since infancy and I'm determined to be in the best shape I can be, even if I'm still "overweight" by other people's standards. I want to find the weight my body wants to weigh, where it feels most comfortable. Often I need to remind myself that I'm doing the low-carb and exercise for other reasons besides weight loss. I'm diabetic, and low-carb is the only way of eating I have found that controls my blood glucose readings. Exercise gets the endorphins going and minimizes depression, which is a serious issue for me, and also helps with pain control. It's only been since last spring that I'm able to walk without a cane, for which I credit exercise. In all this, I find I am losing weight, and I'm getting so excited about it that I keep forgetting health is my goal, not appearance. :D

I am also a strong advocate for body acceptance, no matter what the size and shape. We are all beautiful, and we should treat ourselves as such.

Last, I'm very glad to have found this site. God bless us, every one. (shades of Tiny Tim in "A Christmas Carol.")

thistoo 01-28-2010 03:54 PM

Hello my name is Caroline and I'm 37. I've been posting at 3FC for a little over 3 1/2 years now, working on weight loss for the same amount of time. It's been slow going for me, but I never give up, and that's really what it's all about, I think. At least that's what I tell myself when the scale refuses to budge!

I'm currently in Knoxville, Tennessee, though I consider myself a New Englander since that's where I spent my formative years. I've lived all over the country, so I guess I'm not really from anywhere anymore! It keeps things interesting, at least.

I'm a single librarian and share my space with a couple cats. I realize this makes me a total cliche, but I do my best to live it down. (One of the cats was actually foisted upon me by my coworkers because I was the one in the building with the least amount of cats in my house. True story. I am actually a dog person, but I'm never home, so cats it is.)

In my spare time I work out, then I work out some more. If I have any time left after that, I write fiction. Someday my goal is to publish something. (Nobody hold their breath.) During my work day I work a reference desk, as well as teaching computer skills to the public. It's not glamorous, but it's a living.

ubergirl 01-28-2010 04:02 PM

Hi I'm UBER...

I'm forty-eight years old, married, four kids, two professions. I don't like to give out much personally identifying info on the internet because well, I don't want to be identified.

I have a background of BINGE EATING DISORDER, more years than I can count, became morbidly obese after the birth of my first child and progressively got up to an all time high last spring.

Got some amazingly good news on June 19th, 2009 and quit binging cold turkey. I guess technically I "joined" 3FC back in 2007, but I think I only stuck around for a few days.

Since June, I've changed my life in more ways than I can count-- went from being an unhealthy, unhappy, unattractive couch potato, to a swimming, running, weight lifting, bundle of energy. Have lost 72 pounds to date.

I was very determined, but my access the the wonderful voices at 3FC has been a HUGE part of my journey.

As somebody said above, I've replaced binging with 3FC.

Trazey34 01-28-2010 04:04 PM

Hi I'm Tracey, I'm 42 and happily married to the hottest yummiest dude ever LOL for 18 years. I've been on here a long time, and over the course of about 2 years I've managed to drop about 105 lbs. I didn't do it dangerously fast as you can see ;) I feel almost guilty for the loss (KIDDING) because, unlike so many folks on here, I did NOT count every single morsel, did not eat only healthy things, did not exercise regularly, and didn't make sure I got all my required vitamins and minerals -- i did that with a multivitamin each morning LOL

What I DID do over those 2 years was ADMIT to myself that I was childish, selfish, self-indulgent and spoiled rotten, adn that led me to let my inner child 'drive my life' and my eating choices. Once I told that little brat to shut it things improved dramatically LOL I made better food choices more often than not, didn't snack after dinner, went for walks whenever I could (and even when I didn't want to), cut back on portion sizes and no 2nd helpings, and ate pretty normal food. I'm not one who wants a 'substitute' for every single thing, sometimes you just gotta have turkey & mashed potatoes and gravy and nothing else can substitute LOL

Life has improved mobility-wise, but I was a happy person to begin with. I'm not convinced that losing weight is the answer to happiness so many seek. I say find it within first, and the weight can take care of itself (with a little help of course ;) )

diabetic z 01-28-2010 04:12 PM

Reporting In

:wave: Howdy, I'm Zerain (a.k.a. Z).

At the end of August 2009, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and shortly thereafter joined 3FC. My immediate goal at the time was to adapt to a new healthier lifestyle that I could maintain for life. I managed to get off all my diabetic meds, lose weight, and bring my other health issues into check. While I am still far from my goal weight, I now have the confidence to achieve my goals and the dedication to take each day as it comes. I have always been overweight and never considered dieting until last year. This place has been such a great help in my journey. 3FC rocks!!! :carrot::cb::broc:

xMeaganx 01-28-2010 04:15 PM

Hi I'm Meagan! I'm 23. I'm from Indiana, currently in Hungary. I move way more than a normal person should. I've never stayed in one place more than a year since I turned 18. Moving from Indiana to New Jersey, to Italy, Germany, Maryland, back to Indiana and to Hungary. I guess I haven't found a place to call home just yet!

I work as an au pair while going to school for Criminology. Love my job as I like to watch kids. Love my major, as it is the only subject that can hold my attention! I graduate this summer and off to grad school (hopefully!).

I've been overweight....since birth. I have a lot of issues from being overweight, I think that it's made me guarded, probably in the worst ways. I have to work on myself while losing weight which is the hardest part! I've never really tried to lose weight until 2008. During that time period I realized I needed to lose weight and set my mind to do it. I took a period of time off from losing weight, maintained my 40 pound weight loss, and recently decided I can do it and have jumped in with both feet!

cfmama 01-28-2010 04:26 PM

Hello! My name is Tammy. I am happily married to my love of my life Jeff... and we have three spectacular healthy fit and happy children. Madeline is 8 and has been dancing since she was 3 and competitively since she was 5. Olivia is 6 and has been dancing since she was 3 and competitively since she was 4! Phoenix is our little boy and he is 3 and enjoys thomas trains and dancing with his sisters.

I have two dogs (with one on the way). I show Rough Collies and just helped to get a championship on my first Rough girl Bella. She was my 100 lbs lost present. lol! The new puppy coming in April will be my 200? (or close to it!) pounds lost present!!! She'll be another rough collie girl.

I've been here since September of 2008 (I registered a user name years before but never used it) and started my journey on September 27, 2008. In that 16 months (plus one day!) I have lost 168.6 pounds!!!

I was a slim child and went through a period of depression lasting three years in my late teens. I ballooned up to 300 lbs and just kept going from there!

I WILL reach my goal weight of 150 pounds this year and KEEP IT OFF. That feels SO FREAKING GOOD!!!!

salsa chip 01-28-2010 04:33 PM

Hi, I'm Salsa and I'm obese.

(Hi, Salsa!)

I've been overweight since I can remember. Family lore says that when I was very young I had to be hospitalised for rapid and extreme weight loss, which I seem to have been making up for - with a vengance - ever since. Or, well, until last Summer anyway.

I'd had various half-hearted weight-loss attempts in my life, none of which lasted very long. Last Summer I had a breakdown and finally sought help for depression and in coming to terms with childhood abuse. I was a lurker here for a few weeks before jumping in and beginning to post, and with a sole exception everyone at 3FC has been so supportive, which I'm very grateful for! (as for that exception - the ignore feature is an excellent option ;) )

Matilda08 01-28-2010 04:37 PM

Hi everyone Im Matilda

Ive been a memeber since 08 lost a total of 35 lbs and gained some weight back. Im really hoping to get to goal this year. Im 30 years old single mom of two children. I work for a small accounting firm and I also attend college(studying to become an accountant) . Born and raised in NJ.

BeachBreeze2010 01-28-2010 04:39 PM

Hi, I'm Annie. I am 30 years old, married to my soulmate and have two daughters (8 and 9). We live in Ohio.

I was a normal weight (about 130lbs) until my mother died when I was 20. I had my daughters very soon afterwards and then my love of fitness began. I became a fitness trainer at a national gym and was training myself for figure competitions. I used strength training as a way to feel strong at a time when I really felt very weak. Soon afterwards, it all came crumbling down and I spent the next 6 years gaining weight and depressed. Ironically, I never had an eating disorder until I gained weight. My life came to a turning point last year and I finally got the help I needed to deal with old (and current) issues. Once I got my head on straight, I began taking better care of myself.

I ate better and exercised and was losing weight. Then, I tore up my ankle and couldn't do any of the things that were helping me. I felt so low and hopeless and gained back the weight I lost. But once my foot recovered (for the most part), I wanted to get back up and try again.

It never occurred to me that I actually could lose all of the weight and get to a thin goal. I just wanted to lose some weight. (To wear a size that doesn't require special stores.) Then, I found 3FC and my life changed. I saw people doing this and became so uplifted and confident that I can do it too! I can't remember whose signature it is, but the one that says "If you want it, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse," really opened my eyes to the excuses that I had accepted as facts. I really do have time to eat right and exercise. Imagine that! :) So, here I am doing it every day now and I have seen great results this month. I am so glad to have met all of you!! :D

SNMomof1 01-28-2010 04:42 PM

I'm Niff. :) I joined in December.

I'm a SAHM and have one special daughter. I have always been overweight, but gained a big chunk of my current weight over the past couple years. My daughter was in the NICU for 7 1/2 months, so my idea of a meal became grabbing a burger in the hospital cafeteria. When we finally brought her home, she wasn't quite stable enough for me to leave her room for more than a minute or so at a time.. just enough to tinkle and wash my hands. We have nursing care but even our nurses had been afraid of taking the case full time. I didn't eat until my fiance came home from work, and then we would pig out on fast food. While she still has the same problems and requires the same intense care, she's much more stable and I can finally do something for me and not feel guilty about it.

Mikayla 01-28-2010 04:49 PM

Hi everyone, I'm Melissa. I'm 28, from western PA. I live with my husband, my fox terrier mix and two cats. I've been overweight my whole life, but in Feb 09 I decided that I had enough, I found 3FC shortly afterwards and I've been looking here for support ever since!

catherinef 01-28-2010 04:55 PM

Hello, I'm Catherine. I'm a 42-year-old American married for almost 13 years to an Englishman and living in England with him and our two cats. I'm a writer, an avid gardener, a compulsive reader and knitter.

I've been battling with my weight since childhood, although, in retrospect, putting me on that first diet was sheer idiocy on the part of my parents, because I honestly wasn't fat, just comparatively bigger than average. (I topped out at 6' in my early teens.) It all spiraled out of control into a good thirty years of binging disorder, which concluded when I hit the wall hard in August of 2008, decided to just STOP being angry and bitter about it all, and do something about it, because I absolutely could not stand living like that a moment longer.

I showed up here after I'd lost somewhere in the neighbourhood of 140 pounds, I think? I really can't recall, but it's been a few months, anyway. :) My life has improved immeasurably since I started losing weight, and although I'd lost substantial amounts of weight a few times before, it never stuck. This time is so much different, because not for one minute have I wanted to quit. I haven't even considered it. I am closing in on my original goal of 195, which will put me at about 10 pounds overweight. I plan on adjusting that goal downwards when I hit it -- I'd very much like to be not overweight at all -- but mostly, I'll know what's the right weight once I get there. I love this new lifestyle, and it's been worth every bit of effort I've put into it.

This is a wonderful place, and I wish I'd found it at the beginning of this project, because even though I did really well on my own, it's just so NICE to have other people to talk to about it.

raebeaR 01-28-2010 05:15 PM

Hullo, I'm Rae. :)

I live in Oregon alone (but not lonely!) on a 35-acre farm with 3 dogs (German shepherd, Border Collie and miniature Dachshund), 4 cats, 3 goats, 2 llamas, a horse and a dozen chickens. I'm self-employed and able to work from home -- good thing, or I'd never be able to keep up with everything I need to take care of on this place! My primary "crop" is trees.

Married twice, the first time to an old friend with whom we should have left things in that realm, and the second time to the perfect man for me. Almost unendurably, he died in October of 2007.

My weight gain has been sporadic... I was slim until I was 27, then diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I got the weight off in my mid 30s and kept it off for quite a long while. When I married my second husband, he was very into my home cooking but had a strong preference for all the wrong things: Butter, cream, pasta, beef... all the wrong stuff. I indulged his preferences much to my own detriment.

I joined 3FC quite a long time ago but didn't get serious about weight loss until the summer of 2007. My husband's death derailed that effort for a long time. I tried again in early 2009 but began to feel guilty as soon as male attention turned my way. I quit.

This time, I'm ready. The weight is coming off, it's easy, and the male attention is fine.

3FC is an invaluable resource -- a place for inspiration, encouragement and friendship!! I couldn't do it without the 3FC folks!!!

Rae