3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   a small NSV (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/192254-small-nsv.html)

matt_H 01-26-2010 10:26 AM

a small NSV

If I walk home from a certain direction, I have to walk up a rather large hill. At one point, I would deliberately go a longer route just to avoid walking up it and when I did attempt it, I would usually stop for a minute a catch my breath. Now, walking up that hill is primarily the way I head home.

As I was getting home last night, I realized that I wasn't even winded. I wasn't even breathing heavy at all.

For me, that is what this whole weight loss/ health thing has been about. To do things that I couldn't do before. To feel better and not have my weight interfere with my daily life.

It felt good.

bluebutterfly 01-26-2010 10:40 AM

That's not a "small nsv" - it's a great big one :cheer2: :dance: :cheer3:

ubergirl 01-26-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_H (Post 3117427)
If I walk home from a certain direction, I have to walk up a rather large hill. At one point, I would deliberately go a longer route just to avoid walking up it and when I did attempt it, I would usually stop for a minute a catch my breath. Now, walking up that hill is primarily the way I head home.

As I was getting home last night, I realized that I wasn't even winded. I wasn't even breathing heavy at all.

For me, that is what this whole weight loss/ health thing has been about. To do things that I couldn't do before. To feel better and not have my weight interfere with my daily life.

It felt good.

Oh Matt! That is just such a great NSV!!!!

I completely understand what you are talking about. When I started this journey I was so out-of-shape that I used to avoid physical stressors because I was afraid I'd drop dead of a heart attack or something.

I truly believed that getting winded like that was a permanent disability....now, I notice all the time when I expect something to tire me or make me out of breath and it doesn't!

Walking up hills on purpose, and realizing that it doesn't HAVE to be hard-- that's what it's all about.

:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

Eliana 01-26-2010 10:45 AM

That's huge! It's already been said, but that's what it's all about! Being able to go anywhere and do anything is what we should be striving for!

I'm really proud of you. And it sounds like you walk to and from work? Way to go there too!

FitGirlyGirl 01-26-2010 11:02 AM

I must add to the chorus of that is not a small NSV, it's a big one. Yay you! :yay:

L144S 01-26-2010 11:04 AM

that AWSOME! it is one of the things I like about walking here.
I really see the difference when i visit the outlaws in NC and everything is FLAT! now time to add in the long way AND the hill :)

marigrace 01-26-2010 11:05 AM

Yep...Big one....

Gracie789 01-26-2010 11:22 AM

Definitely a big NSV! You're right about losing weight to get healthy. It's so awesome when you can easily do things that were 'impossible' before. Congrats!!!!!! :cheer:

traci in training 01-26-2010 11:26 AM

Makes it all worth it, doesn't it? It's those little things that matter most.

Nikki6kidsmom 01-26-2010 11:32 AM

Awesome Matt! That is a great feeling and don't you know your heart and lungs are so happy you have been so dedicated. Big HUGS and a Pat on the back to you!

CLCSC145 01-26-2010 12:04 PM

That's a great NSV, Matt! It so true that we adapt our lives to fit our bodies and that can cut us out of a lot of things in life - even things like taking the harder, shorter way home. You're giving yourself your choices back in life and that is a HUGE NSV.

By the way, love your new avatar - you look amazing!

PeanutsMom704 01-26-2010 12:05 PM

agree that's a BIG NSV, great going!

Slashnl 01-26-2010 01:45 PM

Awesome! A big NSV!

cfmama 01-26-2010 01:47 PM

no... that's a HUGE nsv!!!! Congrats my friend!!!!

BeachBreeze2010 01-26-2010 01:54 PM

That's so awesome! It's a VERY BIG deal! :D How wonderful to have a visible landmark, knowing that you beat that hill! :boxing: