Grocery Store NSV

• I see so many NSV posts on the board this morning, it's wonderful!

Mine is more related to eating healthy than it is to weight loss, but it's all together anyway.

I used to have a love-hate relationship with the grocery store. I loved it because it provided me with my drug of choice, but I hated it because I was always ashamed of what I was buying. My biggest fear was running into someone I knew with a cart full of junk food. I always tried to come up with a back story should the issue come up and I needed to cover for my eating habits!

Anyway, I was at the grocery store the other day (in the produce section!) and I ran into a friend. I didn't run away. I walked right up to her and said hello--because I wasn't ashamd of what was in my basket!

It made me so happy!
  • That's a wonderful nsv!!
  • I've definitely noticed a different in my grocery shopping confidence. 25% is meat, 74% veggies, and 1% bottled water.

Congratulations!!
  • Wonderful!
  • This is a great NSV! I remember running into a cute guy acquaintance in the grocery store once a couple of years ago, and I was acutely aware of the chips, cookies, and other miscellaneous crap in my cart the entire time that I was talking to him. My cart looks a lot better now, too
  • Very cool :-)

Shortly before reading that we should shop at the 'ends' of the store, I had noted that my own cart was slowly gathering a greater proportion from the ends of the store ... produce, dairy and then a few things from the freezers.

My aisle items are pretty few and far between these days ... things like the occasional canned pineapple chunks, curry paste or salad dressing ...
  • Yes, it's much better to focus on the outside part of the store, not the inside part. I ususally only go in there for olive oil and the like.

It's so funny that others have had similar experiances--new phrase-"cart shame"?! I feel no more cart shame!
  • Congrats. I can definitely relate to "cart shame." I've too noticed that I'm no longer embarrassed in the grocery store...I guess not buying junk food has other benefits besides health!
  • -totally get it also. I share in shopping cart pride
  • That's great!

Yesterday I was at the store and the people in front of me had a lot of vegetables, bottled water, and other healthier things. Both of them were thin. I couldn't see the person behind me right away, but I saw what they had put on the belt: chicken wings, peanut butter cracker packs, soda, value sized box of Oatmeal Cream Pies, etc. I turned and looked at the lady who put it up there and she was my size. I was glad I had healthy things and it was just another reminder that if I want to be like the people in front of me, I need to shop like the people in front of me and if I want to stay like the lady behind me, I could go back to shopping like her.
  • I totally get this. what a great NSV that is for you!!!

• I like that label for it - "cart shame". My cart is also much better these days, but I still get some cart shame for the bits of junk that DH still insists on having. I try to hide it under my stuff and either go to a cashier that I know or verbally label it my husband's junk to the cashier. His cigarettes I will not even buy - he has to get those.
  • Quote: Yesterday I was at the store and the people in front of me had a lot of vegetables, bottled water, and other healthier things. Both of them were thin. I couldn't see the person behind me right away, but I saw what they had put on the belt: chicken wings, peanut butter cracker packs, soda, value sized box of Oatmeal Cream Pies, etc. I turned and looked at the lady who put it up there and she was my size. I was glad I had healthy things and it was just another reminder that if I want to be like the people in front of me, I need to shop like the people in front of me and if I want to stay like the lady behind me, I could go back to shopping like her.
    I like this example a lot. When I think about the way I want to live my life going forward, I try to compare myself to the fit and active people I know and model after that, rather than compare to the way I used to live which can sometimes end up making me think too much about what I have given up. I don't regret the changes and I'm getting far more in exchange for what I've given up. But there's no denying there was some pleasure in eating whatever I wanted whenver I wanted without thinking about it (at least not thinking about it enough to stop me!)