Old 01-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #16  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Yay for walking to the store! I very much wish I could, but while I am close to things, I'm not quite that close and there are some very busy roads. I am very lucky with my neighborhood though. I can go walk in the streets with no worries and we have a gorgeous, big duck pond at the end of the neighborhood with a gravel trail around it.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #17  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm very fortunate in that I live in an area that was developing during the 1920s and 1930s, when not everyone had a car, or a family might have had just one car, so the scale is highly walkable, there is high density of shopping & there are excellent sidewalks everywhere. Within less than a half-mile, I can buy groceries from a chain grocery store, work out at my gym, go to a cheese shop, a specialty fish shop, a butcher, four different liquor stores, six different restaurants, two bakeries, more delis than you can count, several laundromats, two day spas, a lot of gift & card shops, two coffee shops, a bridal boutique, a specialty running store, a pet shop, a small independently owned bookstore, a small fine arts cinema, a library, and the train station for the train down to Manhattan.

I sometimes spend half the weekend without starting the car.

It's why I bought my apartment here. I consider it an investment. When I am an older woman -- should I be fortunate to live so long -- and I can't drive very far, I still want to have a life. If I am still ambulatory, I will. (There's also a hospital down the street.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 264/260.5/150

Height: 5'6"

That's awesome! I used to love to walk to the store when we lived close enough. I could load the kids in the stroller and go since I could take a "back" street that didn't have much traffic. I'm glad we live in a house now, but I do miss being able to walk to the grocery store.
ToriLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #19  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I dragged the family along today. They weren't as amused as I was, but I was proud of us! The boys want homemade ice cream for an after dinner snack. So I made everybody walk a mile to the grocery store to pick up the half and half and the rock salt. I made them work for their ice cream! LOL! And I think we may now enjoy it all the more.

Unfortunately the only rock salt the store had was in a 50 lb bag. So poor DH has to drive back to get it. 50 lbs was just a bit much for us to walk back with.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote