Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default You would think living alone would make it easier to diet....

A small backstory: My partner and I have been together for five years. For the last several months he has been working 2 hours away from home during the week and coming home on the weekend. When we were living together full time, cooking was easier. Now that it is just me for five out of seven days, it's trickier. All the recipes I have make larger quantities than what I SHOULD eat. For some reason, it's hard to only take one portion and put the rest away. I feel like it's wasteful or something.

I had considered some "pierce and ping" kind of meals (Healthy Choice, etc), but the thought doesn't thrill me, not to mention it's not always that economical.

I am doing so well with this round of weight loss! If only I can figure out this "meal for one" dillemma....any suggestions?
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #2  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I live alone and here's what I do: I cook everything for the week on Sunday. Then I put servings into individual containers and store them in the fridge/freezer as appropriate. That way I'm not tempted to overeat when I get home from work starving, because my portions are already measured.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #3  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

This is tough... we have the same problems when it's just the two of us but it is a little easier. I would get a variety of different veggies you can steam/sautee in olive oil (broccoli, carrots, peppers, green beans, onions) and some frozen chicken breasts. This way, you can thaw out a chicken breast for that meal and make something fresh.

For example... you could mix some of the veggies and cut the chicken in strips with teryaki to make a stir fry, and get some of the 90 second ready rice where there is only about 3 servings in it. You can save the rest of the rice for the next day... get some black or pinto beans, salsa and mix it in some of the rice, sautee up some veggies and chicken strips for a nice southwest type of meal. Or make fajitas with some rice & beans. The trick is to get something that you can re-use into other meals so you aren't eating the same thing for 4 days straight.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

might not be as simple as saying it, but just try cut the recipe in half. And if you think it is too little, make it a bit bigger next time and vice-versa...
It will take training... But you can do it...

Last edited by belezura; 01-21-2010 at 04:30 PM.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #5  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I hear you on recipes being tough for a single person. Who wants to eat the same thing for days on end or be tempted to over eat because it's there? For the most part, I stopped cooking things that were recipe-based. I buy marinated salmon that comes in frozen single serving pouches, and veggies I can nuke or roast to go with them. I buy other meats and put them into single serving sized ziploc bags and freeze the extras. Or I eat non-traditional things for dinner like egg white omelets or sandwiches. I might cook enough for two meals and save the leftovers for the next day. But a recipe that serves 4, 6, or 8 people just has no place in my kitchen these days.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #6  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Too funny, as I'm just coming off the opposite problem. I am single, live alone and had developed really good way of eating for weight loss. Then my beau moved in for 12 days and I was suddenly cooking real meals for a man who is a stringbean. While I stayed within my calorie count by just eating small portions of the foods I was making for him, the choices were NOT as healthy for me. He left Tuesday (moving to another state) and I had an absolute field day throwing away full fat milk, pepperoni, last of the pecan pie I made him, tuna salad made with mayo, etc.

I miss him, but I do like my fridge better now.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #7  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

It is more fun to cook for a crowd. You could always cook the full recipe and freeze the remaining portions individually like a healthy homemade Lean Cuisine.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/260.5/150

I have a book that's the Hungry Girl cookbook, all low calorie and a lot of them make a single serving. Haven't tried a lot of them yet, because I cook for my family, but the couple I have tried are pretty good.
ToriLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #9  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I still try to cook like my kids were home.

One thing that has helped is Ziplock, medium size, steam bags. You can cook a whole healthy meal for yourself in one bag! In just a few minutes, they also include recipes!

Also great for lunch if you have a microwave at work.
My fave is a portion of already cooked chicken, cut up broccoli, green peppers, a can of sliced water chestnuts and 2 tablespoons of Kikkoman stir fry sauce. Cooks in 2 mins and 30 seconds, and yummy.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #10  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I think too, when cooking for 1, there's kind of a "meh, why bother" attitude, as in - no one's here to appreciate it so I'll eat soup from a can every night LOL Whenever hubby's away, I still do the same routine, set a nice table and eat off nice dishes and make a pretty meal that's good for me. If I make too much I'm very excited, because that's a meal down the road I DON'T have to cook! it's all ready and waiting in my freezer for days i'm MENTAL

I'd look at it as a great opportunity - you're cooking anyway so might as well make the most of it. Deliberately make too much so you can freeze 3 or 4 servings of it for another day -- on those days you wanna tear your hair out, you'll thank you
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I live alone, and when I cook stuff that is for more than one person, I divide the leftover portions in gladware andn stick it in the freezer--it's great beause then I have something good to bring for lunch, and it can stay in the freezer for a while without going bad, so I can have something different every day.

The trick is to portion it out before you even start eating. Then it's kinda like, once you're done with your meal, there's "nothing left".
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #12  
Reluctant Adult

I totally agree with Trazey34... and I do the same thing. I still cook for 4 people, but I divvy up the portions and freeze 3 before I get the chance to pick through everything. Then, when I'm having a super-busy week (often!), I have my very own "fast" food!

I appreciate what you're going through, however, Jen... I not only live alone, but I work from home. Some days that fridge just calls and calls and calls...

You'll get the hang of it.

Rae
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I have the opposite problem from you as well. When my bf was out of town, I was eating really good. I found it easier, I'd cook 2-3 chicken breasts, eat one and put the others in the fridge for the next couple of days. Then I'm steam veggies to go with, I am never prepared enough to chop them up ahead of time, so I always just make a serving at a time. I also enjoy making a huge recipe of something and freezing it - just takes the guess work out of lunch when I'm in a hurry.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #14  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Some good suggestions, y'all....I think if I just plan ahead more it will be better. Thanks for the help!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote