6 Days on Plan Finally and I blow It!

• I have been on plan for 6 days and today I blew it. I was going for Breakfast with my sister and knew what resturant we were going to. So I looked up some calorie counts of food and decided to have the 420 calorie meal. But when I got there they had a 420 calorie meal but was a little different. I was thinking I would get something else and take half home. Well I got the southern fried chicken sandwich platter and was talking and not paying attention. Well when I was 3/4's done I decided to just finish it. I had know idea how fattening it was. But I should have figured it would be high in calories when it said fried. It was 1880 calories! I have been eating around 1622 -1951. So not sure what to do with rest of the day. I could drink water but I will be starving by Supper.
  • Just chalk it up to a learning experience and eat a healthy dinner. Don't try to start yourself for the rest of the day, you'll just end up overeating in the evening. And next time, just say no to the fried entrees! Those calories add up so fast.
  • Pretend it didn't happen and go right back on plan. Getting back on plan after a slip up is much more important than having every day be perfect. If you punish yourself by drinking only water you will feel bad and that will make it harder to stay on plan tomorrow, next week, and the next week.
  • Quote: I have been on plan for 6 days and today I blew it. I was going for Breakfast with my sister and knew what resturant we were going to. So I looked up some calorie counts of food and decided to have the 420 calorie meal. But when I got there they had a 420 calorie meal but was a little different. I was thinking I would get something else and take half home. Well I got the southern fried chicken sandwich platter and was talking and not paying attention. Well when I was 3/4's done I decided to just finish it. I had know idea how fattening it was. But I should have figured it would be high in calories when it said fried. It was 1880 calories! I have been eating around 1622 -1951. So not sure what to do with rest of the day. I could drink water but I will be starving by Supper.
    Wow, isnt it so shocking how many calories restaurants are able to pack into a single meal? Do not panic, but do not binge the rest of the day either. I would have a nice salad with very light dressing for dinner... maybe hard-boiled eggwhites on it for protein. I know things like this are discouraging but keep your chin up.
  • I think that you should just eat lightly the rest of the day, drink plenty of water and get some exercise. By eating lightly, I mean have a lower calorie dinner. Then put the day behind you. You have not totally ruined a new lifestyle. You do the best you can the rest of the day and get right back on plan tomorrow.

We have all done the same thing. Just keep going, one day at a time. You know what you are doing. You have already lost 32 pounds!
  • Don't starve yourself for the rest of the day, just make sensible low cal choices and drink tons of water! Wouldn't hurt to do a little extra exercising either.

s I fell off the wagon a couple days ago too. You're certainly not alone. Just try to make good meal decisions for the rest of the day and start tomorrow anew.
  • Whats done is done, move past it. Eat healthy the rest of the day, make sure to include you water and if possible put in alittle more exercise if you can. But over all you DIDN'T blow it , you learned a lesson. If it makes you feel any better think of your calories for the entire week , Using your week of banked calories just reduce each day by a few to make up for your slip out. Overall it is not that big of a deal and you can recover just fine. Keep your chin up and remember 1 meal didn't make us overweight and get back on plan.
  • "Blowing it" isn't eating the fried chicken, it's not getting back on plan. You haven't blown anything.

I have noticed that when I eat something that's junk food, I do better to ignore that I ate it and continue eating what I planned for the day (unless the junk filled me up and I'm not that hungry). If you try to compensate by not eating much at dinner when you are hungry, you'll only hurt yourself further. We make poor decisions when we're hungry.

So, Spit-Spot, it's over, move on. Focus on the next healthy thing you are going to do for yourself.
  • Move on! And let me just say that these restaurants with their crazy HIGH CAL meals make me CRAZY! Sometimes something that seems like an okay choice turns out to have WAY more calories than it seems.

Just get back on plan, drink lots of water, and remember that one meal will not change anything about your new lifestyle.

Part of the new lifestyle is that it is not always possible to be 100% on plan all the time, and we no longer use that as an excuse to be off plan most of the time.

One meal is just one meal.
  • Its perfectly fine, normal, and natural to sometimes go over your calories. Its not the end of the world and I think it actually helps "reset" the metabolism a bit. The worst is beating yourself up over it.
  • I agree with what everyone else has said!

And I think you ought to give some thought to the thinking that led to your decision so you can recognize the rationalizations and avoid them in the future. For example, why did you steer away from the low calorie meal? What did you let influence your decision (e.g. was your sister ordering something high calorie and you were swayed? Or were there pictures on the menu that sucked you in?)? What made you keep going when you had decided to take half home?

Thinking through what you are going to do and then sticking with that decision is hard, but so important (I know you know that - but doing it and knowing it can be worlds apart)! For example, if you go in knowing what you are going to order (your 420 calorie meal), don't even open the menu - it's only going to lead your mind to trying to convince you to eat something different. And if you are going to take half of something home, ask for a take-out container BEFORE you start eating and take half off your plate before you dig in. Also, enlist the help of the person you are eating with if you know you're going to be tempted. For example, tell your sister what you are going to order and ask her to help you make sure you stick to that decision.

You didn't blow it. You blew one meal. Not one day, not one week, not your entire effort. Learn from it and keep going!
  • Thank You All for Your Support. I decided to be accountable for my total calorie count yesterday. It turned out to be 4326 calories. Breakfast alone was 2020! Well I'm back on plan today. I weighed in at 233.2 and was 230.4 yesterday. So I'm hoping only 1 LB is weight gain and the rest water weight. For sure 1 LB should be weight gain because I ate over 3500 calories. And to think I use to eat like this all the time. No wonder I have a weight problem. I just didn't realize how many calories I was eating.
  • I think the translation is "southern-fried anything = EVIL" lol Next time make life easy and don't order that in the first place!!! good for you for dusting yourself off and getting back on track ASAP, that's the real victory! yay!