Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Post exercise motivation

I found this article on my yahoo home page. It sure puts why we don't exercise into perspective...
Dawnyal

_ -----------------------------------------------------------
In Your Corner: Motivation
by Victoria Parker
Here's the truth about exercise: If you dread it, you won't do it. How is it that we say we've got no time to exercise, yet we've seen every episode of West Wing since it began? The truth is, we choose not to spend some of our free time exercising. The psychology is simple: We make time for what we enjoy, and we put off - or avoid entirely - what we don't.

The key is finding ways to make exercise less of a chore and more of a choice, says James Annesi, Ph.D., exercise psychologist and director of wellness for the Metro Atlanta YMCA. Try these simple strategies, he says, and you may find yourself skipping - OK, taping - West Wing episodes to avoid missing workouts.

* Make it fun. If you don't love exercise, try to bring things you do love into the exercise experience. Watch TV, listen to music, or chat with a friend during your workout. By taking the focus off your effort and placing it on the more entertaining, social aspects of the activity, you'll be more likely to stick with it.

* Make it convenient. If you want exercise to become a habit, make it fit easily into your schedule. New research shows that a few short exercise sessions a day are as valuable as one extended session. If finding a 30-minute block of time seems too difficult, work in three 10-minute stints over the course of the day. "It's easier to spare the time for any given workout that way," says Annesi. And if you have to miss one, you'll still have had some exercise during the day.

* Be realistic. Expect at least a couple of weeks to go by before you start to notice any changes in your body. Start slowly and carefully, pick an exercise "dosage" you can manage without pain, boredom or injury, and relish the changes you see occurring over time. At first, the changes may seem subtle, but Annesi's research shows that even very small amounts of exercise over a few days or weeks can reduce stress, depression and fatigue, increase energy and boost body image.

* Set reasonable goals. Instead of focusing on one large goal, set smaller incremental goals - you'll feel a sense of achievement more frequently. Establish goals that are more process-oriented than results-oriented. For example, completing three 20-minute walks per week is a quickly rewarding, observable goal; a long-term result, such as losing 30 pounds, may seem too distant to offer much immediate inspiration.

* Be flexible. With work and family life tugging at you, it's easy to get bumped from your exercise routine. Don't toss up your hands as if all progress has been lost when this happens, cautions Annesi. Anticipate some unexpected interruptions will crop up (such as increased business travel or child-care responsibilities), and simply bend your routine to compensate. For example, if you normally schedule three weekly workouts and events get in the way, try the more flexible schedule of 12 times per month. That way, if you have a hectic week or two, you still have two weeks to meet your overall goal.

* Find the right activity. Experiment. Try different activities to see which you like best. Some of us prefer competitive sports such as tennis and golf, others like more solitary activities such as running or swimming, and others prefer the social atmosphere of an aerobics or spinning class. As you explore, ask yourself three simple questions: Do I look forward to this? Do I enjoy doing it? Do I feel good afterward? If you honestly answer yes to all three questions, it's an activity you'll probably keep doing.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:18 PM   #2  

Thanks sweetie! That really does make sense.
How are you feeling?

Old 08-14-2002, 02:28 PM   #3  

Thank you for posting that!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:19 PM   #4  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

All this is true!

Right now I feel like I'm trying to get into shape to really exercise. Make sense?
I am walking.. but what I really love to do is ski! downhill and cross country. - I am in training to get in training

I am going to take a yoga class in sept.. I hope it's fun!!
Old 08-15-2002, 09:17 AM   #5  

Me too, Dana! There are dozens of things I'd like to do (I have two friends that are cross-country runners - always wanted to do that). Although I'm nowhere near being ready to run, my golf game has improved from having stronger legs and a bit less weight, and I'm really looking forward to doing that more often.
Closed Thread