Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Question Natural sweetner?

Hi chicks! I am trying to eat as naturally as possible. I haven't been to the whole foods market in a bit and it's across town so I won't be making a trip soon either.

However, I was at walmart the other day and noticed they sell Agave Nectar. It's rather pricey at $7 a bottle so I was hoping to get some input on it before I spend the cash.

Does anyone use this? What is your experience with it? I would be using it to sweeten oatmeal mainly.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #2  
it's always something

I love agave nectar, it's the only sweetener in our house. You can get it a lot cheaper on Amazon in their grocery section, but it only comes in either 6 packs or big jugs (free ship over $25) so you might want to buy a bottle locally before you buy from there.

It's good It's very sweet, and doesn't take much in my opinion.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

It's the only sweetener we have in our house also. It's lower GI than sugar, and imo, much sweeter. A bottle lasts us quite a while.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Love this stuff! I will use it on my oatmeal, greek yogurt, and sometimes as pancake syrup. I measure it out because it is very sweet, dense in calories, and expensive! Indeed a little dab will do ya!

I like it for it's low Glycemic Index too.

A bottle will last you quite awhile, especially if you don't have a big family who uses it all the time.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I love it too. Use it in my tea in the morning so I don't get a blood sugar spike first thing.

I strongly prefer the "dark" agave nectar over the "light." To me the light has no flavor but sweet, and the dark has a little honeyish flavor to it and seems sweeter.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'7.25"

I rarely need a sweetener but agave nectar (I prefer the dark, too) is certainly my favorite. I occasionally use raw, unrefined sugar but not often. I gave stevia a try but being a plant or not it tastes artificial to me.

Since my health food stores sells it in the big bottles it is actually cheaper there than at the normal grocery store. I just refill my little bottle from the big bottle.
dangerousfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Make sure you do your research and buy a "name" brand. Some of the cheaper generic brands have been known to add high fructose corn syrup to their product.

As a strong sugar-a-holic, I've found that I like agave nectar in place of syrup. It kind of tastes like honey. But, I can't taste it much in my coffee.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote