Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Talking It's just so embarrassing.

My cousin, who sparked my weight loss, came for a visit yesterday. I hadn't seen her in two months, not since my start date. My face turned bright red the moment I opened the door and gushing began. LOL! I was red in the face the entire visit and felt very self conscious. Weird?

Eventually I'm going to have to get over it. I do NOT like being the center of attention. Not at all. I don't like being stared at and everyone at work is starting to look me up and down. I think the nugget of "something's different-what is it" has set in, though no one's said anything yet. I don't like that.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

They say it starts showing after 20 lbs....you are a little overdue...guess you will just have to suffer through it(lol).
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

LOL! I think it depends on how heavy you were to begin with. I was honestly expecting it around 30 and that's what's happening.

It's strange. I desperately want the comments and the notice, but when it happens I want to crawl under a chair! I suddenly understand my children who couldn't wait to sit on Santa's lap and then screamed when they got up there.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #4  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

Depending on personality I think this happens to a lot of us! Started gaining weight when I was younger as DH began to complain about how I looked but lots of men in the work world (I was in a predominately male profession) were hitting on me! Very confusing mixed signals sent me into a bad spiral!

Although yesterday, a friend at church told me I looked like a fashion model (in an outfit I couldn't quite wear before) which was really nice since my DH and 3 sons hadn't said a word! But I am really far from a fashion model but was carrying myself with more confidence!

Hang in there I hope for all our sakes these are just some "stages" to go through!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Oh my goodness. I remember that feeling. Does it help if I tell you that the feeling goes away after some time? Once your mind accepts your new body, you become more comfortable. I had shrunk behind sweats and yucky clothing for years. Once I began getting "noticed" I felt like I was running across a football field naked. But, others DO become accustomed to the NEW you and so do YOU! Hang in there.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #6  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
LOL! I think it depends on how heavy you were to begin with. I was honestly expecting it around 30 and that's what's happening.

It's strange. I desperately want the comments and the notice, but when it happens I want to crawl under a chair! I suddenly understand my children who couldn't wait to sit on Santa's lap and then screamed when they got up there.
This is me exactly...When I went to my sisters at Christmas and had lost 19 lbs... she couldn't tell. And now when I go into work...no one says anything. But then I am the mean ole big boss LOL On the flip side...when people start asking me questions I am gonna flip too. Some of it may be the clothes I wear too...and lots of em cuz it is winter!

Thanks for the thread!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathydoe View Post
This is me exactly...When I went to my sisters at Christmas and had lost 19 lbs... she couldn't tell. And now when I go into work...no one says anything. But then I am the mean ole big boss LOL On the flip side...when people start asking me questions I am gonna flip too. Some of it may be the clothes I wear too...and lots of em cuz it is winter!

Thanks for the thread!
this is me too - over 20 lbs gone and my mom is the only one who has noticed on her own. While I do get the awkward/not wanting to be the center of attention feelings, I have to admit I'm still looking forward to being embarassed by people noticing and saying something, at least a little! lol!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #8  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Its a good embarrassment though!

Recently a guy at the sandwich shop I go to often for lunch said something about how much weight I lost. It was embarrassing, but in a good way

Last edited by matt_H; 01-11-2010 at 01:20 PM.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/253/199

Height: 5'3"

The last time I lost weight it was the same way; I felt so anxious to hear the comments, then when I did I wanted to hide.

Hopefully it gets easier!

You are doing awesome adn deserve the compliments!
SugarJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #10  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
My cousin, who sparked my weight loss, came for a visit yesterday. I hadn't seen her in two months, not since my start date. My face turned bright red the moment I opened the door and gushing began. LOL! I was red in the face the entire visit and felt very self conscious. Weird?

Eventually I'm going to have to get over it. I do NOT like being the center of attention. Not at all. I don't like being stared at and everyone at work is starting to look me up and down. I think the nugget of "something's different-what is it" has set in, though no one's said anything yet. I don't like that.
I have used my 60, 75, 100+ lbs of fat as a shield to make myself invisible. It has worked. NO one looks at the fat girl except to snicker or smirk. I know it is hard to be the center of attention but health wise, being thinner is so much better for you. Hang in there. You will get used to the new normal.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #11  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I hear you, kid! I want it and I want to run from it all at once.

It makes me think of when I was a little kid and I begged my parents on my birthday to take me to a restaurant where they would sing happy birthday to me. What did I do? Crawled under the table and hid until it was over. Sheesh. Apparently, I never change.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

It can be embarrassing...for sure. Especially when people YELL it across a room, or say things like, "Hey, this is my friend Lori, she has lost A LOT of weight...!" Ugh. But, the health benefits FAR outweigh the embarrassment so I try to grin and bare it.

After you get to goal expect it to go on for awhile, but then it eventually wears off...except for the looks from the people who expect you (or hope that you will) gain it back...then they just look you over very carefully to see if they can see an additional pound or 10 creeping back on....(love those people...they are the ones who have actually kept me committed to maintaince in an odd sort of way!)

You are doing terrific. Smile and lavish the compliments!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 350/ticker/164

Height: 5'8

I hate to be the center of attention too. Luckily I only have to contend with close friends and family for the most part, and they know I LOATHE when people gush over me, so they made sure to only make small comments in passing(this was before I regained obviously)...that's all my mental health could take LOL
HeidiNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #14  
Calorie counter

It's just so nice being able to come here and share thoughts with people who understand, ya know? Just so nice.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

I understand completely! I think most of us have been there in one way or another. It just so happened at Christmas some friends of mine came to visit, I hadn't seen them since I dropped the 40 lbs, they started asking if I lost weight and gushing. I turned red and quickly changed the topic. I have never liked being the center of attention so I think it's understandable to not want to be in the spotlight. I am thankful for my weight loss, and appreciate all my support but don't want to be gushed over!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote