OT - Facebook Bra Color Status trend makes the news

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • NEW YORK — If you thought there was enough personal information floating around on Facebook, brace yourself.

This week a campaign apparently designed to raise awareness about breast cancer is sweeping the social networking site with a message asking women to update their status with one simple word: the color of their bra.

Facebook Inc. says it hasn't been able to find out who came up with the idea.

Andrea Rader, a spokeswoman for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation, said the group was not behind the campaign but called it "a terrific tool for raising awareness."

She added, "We just hope people act on it — get educated, get a mammogram."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582630,00.html
  • Cool!
  • I agree
  • Oh that was fun! I did it too
  • Hehe me too
  • I saw that. LOL. Pretty cool.
  • It's nice to see a social networking site being used to raise awareness.
  • I was happy that we did it here too!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-...u-wearing.html
  • Yeah, I got it on fb from my friends in California. I sent it to my friends here.

It reminded me to self examine!
  • I posted it lol
  • Glad to hear Komen gives it thier seal of approval. I had read some negative articles about it, but overall I think it's always a good thing to keep it in our minds.

I am going to do the Komen 5K Run/Walk this year for the second year in a row. How about you?
  • Just heard that CNN has picked this up! Woo Hoo! Our girls deserve the best!
  • Honestly I'm not sure how the bra color brings awareness for breast cancer. It honestly annoyed me. (Although I think breast cancer awareness is a VERY important thing.)

Instead I posted this as my status today:

Quote:
    Breastfeeding reduces your chances of getting breast cancer (and the longer you nurse, the lower your risk). AND it also helps your daughter reduce HER chances of getting breast cancer. So post THIS instead of the color of your bra today.

Also I am just looking into signing up for the "Avon" walk in Keystone/Breckenridge this summer! (Here is more info) It's a BEAUTIFUL walk, and a ton of fun!
  • Tons of gazillions of women posting the color of the bra they were wearing at the moment on facebook, as part of a breast cancer awareness application/thread/whatever, gets attention!

It worked!

CNN has picked it up, and you can bet the rest of the big networks won't be far behind. It's great publicity!

It will drive the sign ups for the all the Avon, Kommen walks and whatever other fund raiser and awareness groups are out there.

I do wish there was a bit more attention paid to breast cancer in men. I have a friend who has so far, battled it twice and won. But so little info on that subject, hope he doesn't have to do it a 3rd time.
  • Janelle, Male Breast Cancer definitely needs more attention. I mentioned it to a friend who was going on and on about supporting Breast Cancer, and she just laughed it off. She didn't believe me that it was a real problem.